• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Went to Ohio to bury my Wife's grandparents. They passed last winter about a month apart, but were cremated. We held a ceremony to bury their ashes on Friday, which would have been their 75th wedding anniversary.

We knew Grandpa was in the army. All he told us was that he drove a truck. No big deal he said. Then I read my Father In Law's blog a few minutes ago. Holy crap. Just drove trucks my a**! And one jeep in particular.

Nobody in the family knew exactly what he did, because he only talked about it with his buddies at the Legion. I was floored. Im not surprised. He was a very quiet, humble man. He wouldnt have wanted the fuss.

https://johnnyonthespot1950.com/2018/06/10/not-really-letting-go/

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    neat!

when my wife's Grandfather passed, she asked her grandmother about his medals. She got them out and he had a Silver Star! It had been presented by Paton. Her grandfather drove tanks, including in the Battle of the Bulge which is when they believe he received the Silver Star. I don't know any more than that. Apparently his records were lost in some fire that destroyed a lot of Army records.

-rvb

Last edited:

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I spend three days a week hanging out at the nursing home where my former neighbor now resides. Her husband was a paratrooper...she made a pillow out of part of his parachute. He has been gone for 20 years now (died of cancer), but when she misses him, she hugs that pillow. She tells me she burned all of her letters from him before she moved out of her home. She didn't want the family to read them and know what they discussed. I told her she could have just burned the "steamy" ones, but she said she burned all of them. She doesn't want to share her memories of what they shared in their daily letters they mailed to each other while he was away in the service.

There are so many people there with wonderful stories to share. I spent at least 30 minutes chatting with a 96 year old man that I see almost every time I visit. I learned several things about his work that he did today. I'm not sure if he is a veteran, but I will have to ask. The older generation is dying and we are losing their stories...we need to be talking to them and learning from them while we can.

Thank you for sharing that blog! Very neat story!

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    My former father in law was a SGT in the Army in Texas when Pearl Harbor was attacked. They shipped his unit to the Aleutian Islands for the war.

He was an old guy from Kentucky who knew everything and would tell you all about it. I wondered how a person could talk so much sometimes, never said much about the war. One morning it was just the 2 of us and he opened up. Told me things for 4 hrs that made him tear up.

You never know about people.

I was on leave from the Marines once and my mom backed into the neighbors car breaking the taillight. He was a small very pleasant guy. I ran to the parts store and bought a new lense, he talked to me while I changed it. About 6 months later, I was in the Med on a deployment, get a letter from my mom. The neighbor had died and there was a 2 page write up about him. It included Anzio, Silver Star, 3 or 4 wounds, lots of action. He was a real bad dude. Never forgot him.

Don

Top Bottom