• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Went into the room for anesthesia around 8:15 am and the next thing I knew it was 10 am and I started talking the ears off of everyone in the room.:lmfao:
    Funny thing is: I was lonely in that room all alone when they fled to get away from me! :dunno:
    At 3 pm I got up out of bed w/o an issue and now sitting in a chair: my idea of a good time! :rockwoot:
    The drug they are using they said was 6 or 8 times stronger than morphine. :)
    It is amazing: I've done brake jobs in my other life that took longer! :rofl:

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    If you’re still loopy be careful on the internet. You may end up owning more firearms than you know what to do with! Glad all went well

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    1. this can't be doddg.
    2. the post isn't numbered for our easy chronological reading.
    3. so you're a hipster now?
    toby-the-hipster-dog-14__880.jpg

4. glad they put you all back together.
    5. are you selling any .22LR?

:):

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    1. this can't be doddg.
    2. the post isn't numbered for our easy chronological reading.
    3. so you're a hipster now?
    View attachment 67561

4. glad they put you all back together.
    5. are you selling any .22LR?

:):

A. Yes: pm me b/c I've gotten in trouble talking about selling a gun in non-classified section. :ugh:
    B. Hint w/o talking about money: S/W M/P .22 Compact and a Walther P22 QD are on the list.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Enjoy your dilaudid, hope you don’t get a DVT. Are they putting you on meds to prevent clotting for a while? Which joint?

1. Yes to the clotting and other preventative type of stuff: right hip.'
    2. The left is bone-on-bone also, and has been for 2 yrs. (or so they say).
    3. I plan to get the other hip next summer if I can last that long: more problematic b/c of lymph issues.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Get home soon, hospitals are no place for sick people.
    And stay away from the nurses that love to give sponge baths. :nuts:

Break-a-leg. :):

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Good luck! Once this first one is healed up you’ll chomping at the bit to get the other fixed.
    hopefully you can walk without pain soon

1. That is sooo funny, but there is so much truth in it, also.
    2. I would have had them do both hips at the same time, but they weren't open to that, and I can't imagine both legs being out of commission at the same time.
    3. I don't know whether it is the drugs or whether its better, but I am a little better when I had to get in and out of bed today.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Thanks guys for the encouragement, it truly means alot.
    Being an emotional person, nothing like being "sliced and diced" to really bring that to the surface.
    Just praying with the wife is enough to get me chocked-up.
    I am soo grateful to have gotten this done (put it off for 2 years b/c of lymphatic issues in left leg).

Been up since 4:30 and now sitting in "the chair" which is much better than the bed.
    I have had so much fun reading here online.
    They said it would be 4-6 weeks before I could drive: whoooey!
    I might not be able to drive the manual roadster, but the Corolla: I think I could be doing it in a week (if my wife lets me). :laugh:
    Of course that's big talk sitting here with great pain-killers in the system. :dunno:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Had my right hip replaced in July, 2012 at age 66. The surgeon wanted to do both hips then but I opted out of the double. I was told the surgery went well even though it looked like they'd hit me with an axe. Nurse nearly had a seizure when she found out I had gone to the bathroom by myself the day after they removed the catheter. Now there's a treat! I tried to get off the hard pain meds ASAP and was scolded by the surgeon. He said he wanted me on meds strong enough that pain wouldn't prevent me from doing the rehab. Rehab went well, I quickly got to where OTC pain meds did the job, and I was back to 100% within' a year. Despite all the printed warnings about running and jumping, they told me I could do what I felt like doing. 18 months ago, I had more x-rays taken because the left one was causing increased discomfort. They told me I should quit playing softball and to come back when I don't want to deal with the pain any longer. Softball went away and golf increased. There's no running in golf, ya' know! At this point, if it doesn't get worse, I'll never have the left one done.

I'm doubling-down on hoosierdoc's advice about the bending. I'm sure they'll tell you to not cross your legs, also. That foam block strapped between your legs at night isn't all that bad. We put my recliner up on blocks and got a toilet seat riser to avoid the 90 degree bend. One of our bathrooms was already set up for my mom with grab bars, etc. It's become my bathroom. Do the rehab. Do the rehab. DO THE REHAB!

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Nice that you came through well. Like other's have said, follow the orders! Don't try to be all tough and ignore what the therapists tell you to do. You will recover much better. Pain meds have never done well with me. For me if the pain is really severe that it affects my recovery I would take them, but fortunately for me I have only had to take them for maybe the first day or two max. After that the pain is manageable.

However, I have not had any parts replaced so I wouldn't know how that would feel.

Have a quick recovery, rest up, gain strength and get ready for round 2!

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Just don't do what my step-mother did. Months after getting both done, she jumped from the dock onto a fishing trawler in Trieste, Slovenia, landed wrong and buggered her hip but good.

Top Bottom