• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I’ve looked all over he internet and can’t seem to find a straight answer. I’m riding to Canada tomorrow and I’m already leaving my firearm (of course), but I’m trying to determine if it’s absomutely necessary to leave my ZT 0350. Dorm anyone have a source where I can confirm if I can/cannot take it across and back? Thanks in advance for any help.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/iefw-iefa-eng.html

What follows is a list of common names for weapons that are prohibited from entering Canada:
    (note the list is not exhaustive)

• automatic knives such as switchblades;
    • centrifugal knives such as flick knives or butterfly knives;
    • gravity knives;
    • mace or pepper spray designed for use on humans;
    • nunchaku sticks;
    • shuriken (throwing stars);
    • manrikigusari or kusari (fighting chains);
    • finger rings with blades or other sharp objects projecting from the surface;
    • Taser and stun guns shorter than 480 mm;
    • crossbows designed for one-handed use;
    • crossbows 500 mm or shorter;
    • Constant Companion (belt-buckle knife);
    • push daggers;
    • devices shorter than 30 cm concealing a knife blade (e.g. knife-comb);
    • spiked wristbands;
    • blowguns;
    • Kiyoga or Steel Cobra batons (spring batons);
    • spring-loaded rigid batons (triggered by a button or lever);
    • morning stars; and
    • brass knuckles.

And a centrifugal knife is defined as: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/cn-ad/cn18-01-eng.html

Customs Notice 18-01

Ottawa, January 5, 2018
    Revised date – Ottawa, January 10, 2018
    1. This Notice is to advise interested parties that the Canadian International Trade Tribunal (CITT) has rendered a decision in Appeal No. AP-2017-012, T. LaPlante v. President of the Canada Border Services Agency regarding knives which open automatically by centrifugal force (centrifugal knives).
    2. In accordance with subsection 84(1) of the Criminal Code and the CITT's recent decision in T. LaPlante, the CBSA resolves that centrifugal knives will be classified as prohibited weapons if the following conditions are met:

• a knife has a blade that opens by centrifugal force, when the blade is released from the handle into the fully ejected and locked position with a simple and brisk outwardly flick of the wrist; and
    • it includes knives that require some preliminary or simultaneous minimal manipulation of either a flipper or other non-edged parts of the blade.
    3. Please be advised that the CBSA will immediately prohibit the importation of all knives by an individual that open as per the CITT's decision. Importation by a business is permitted if a Firearms Business Licence has been presented with import – prohibited weapon, listed as a business activity on the licence. For more detailed information concerning the decision, please consult the decision posted on the Tribunal's website at: CITT Appeal No. AP-2017-012.
    4. The CBSA’s policy on the importation of prohibited weapons is available in Memorandum D19-13-2, Importing and Exporting Firearms, Weapons and Devices. The Memoranda D19-13-2 will be revised to reflect the CITT decision on centrifugal opening knives.

So I don't think I would take that knife in.

Last edited:

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    Good thread timing. I'm leaving for Alaska on my bike next Saturday and had considered the knife to take. I'll leave any assisted opening knives at home.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    They make a few knives that are supposed to "world legal", usually non-locking slip joint knives.

62fe1705c450873b7b44c819db1475e1.jpg

Top Bottom