• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I currently have a John Deere LX188. It has been a good mower up to now. It has a Kawasaki engine, hydrostatic, power bagger. I think the hydrostatic transmission is going out. It sounds like parts might be hard to get for it and will cost more than the mower is worth now. It must be over 20 years old. So what would be a good replacement in a similar class of mower?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Do you want a lawn tractor or only a mower? Personally, I prefer a tractor as I use it for various things.

I am partial to John Deere law tractors- that is, the ones you get from a JD dealer. They still have the Kawasaki engines and have a real frame as opposed to the stamped steel body serving as the frame the way the big box JDs (100 series) do. The big box JDs also have B&S engines which are OK, but no comparison to Kawasaki. The S240 and X300 series are the JDs to look at for a moderate sized lawn.

As for Cub Cadet, they are fine for what they are and probably among the better mid-level machines. Unlike the JDs, they sell basically the same tractor in big box stores and at the dealers. The dealer tractors usually have a few more accessories standard, however. The JDs are truly distinct models. In fact, if I were looking at a mid-level tractor I would probably look closely at the Cub Cadet as the big box JDs are priced as if green paint were a precious metal.

As for all the rest, Craftsman, Husky, whatever, I'd say they're all about the same. This is not to say they are bad, there's just not much significantly different between them. I wouldn't pay more than about $2,000 for any law tractor other than a dealership JD, though (other than, of course, my unjustifiable dream of a Ventrac 4000 series)..

I have a 1997 JD 325 and I could sell this 20+ year old tractor for $2,000 any day of the week, so you can see why a brand new tractor that can be had for $1,900 makes me suspicious.

As for zero-turns, I'm a tractor guy. I have no idea about them.

Last edited:

INgunner54

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 8, 2011
    Do you want a lawn tractor or only a mower? Personally, I prefer a tractor as I use it for various things.

I am partial to John Deere law tractors- that is, the ones you get from a JD dealer. They still have the Kawasaki engines and have a real frame as opposed to the stamped steel body serving as the frame the way the big box JDs (100 series) do. The big box JDs also have B&S engines which are OK, but no comparison to Kawasaki. The S240 and X300 series are the JDs to look at for a moderate sized lawn.

As for Cub Cadet, they are fine for what they are and probably among the better mid-level machines. Unlike the JDs, they sell basically the same tractor in big box stores and at the dealers. The dealer tractors usually have a few more accessories standard, however. The JDs are truly distinct models. In fact, if I were looking at a mid-level tractor I would probably look closely at the Cub Cadet as the big box JDs are priced as if green paint were a precious metal.

I have a 1997 JD 325 and I could sell this 20+ year old tractor for $2,000 any day of the week, so you can see why a brand new tractor that can be had for $1,900 makes me suspicious.
    Could not have said it better. Great points. I'll add buy from a reputable dealer instead of a box store, a service/ parts department tht knows what the hell they are talking about is invaluable.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Look at some of the Exmark line of mowers. Extremely happy with tour's. It is an awesome machine.

I will take a look.

As for all the rest, Craftsman, Husky, whatever, I'd say they're all about the same. This is not to say they are bad, there's just not much significantly different between them. I wouldn't pay more than about $2,000 for any law tractor other than a dealership JD, though (other than, of course, my unjustifiable dream of a Ventrac 4000 series)..

As for zero-turns, I'm a tractor guy. I have no idea about them.
    I think I paid close to $4k for this one, so I don't mind paying more for a better product. I will look at the 300 or 500 series. The 700s get a little pricey.
    My FiL had a Kubota that he had pretty good luck with.
    One problem is there are no longer any dealers here in town and I liked the idea of buying local so I could get local service.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have been really happy with my Troybilt Bronco. It has a Kohler engine and Hydrostatic drive. I have had it for 4 years. I put a battery in it for the first time this year. I have replace blades (normal wear). I had to replace a shaft on the deck last year. It was my fault for running over to many large things. I beat the crap out of tractors because my yard is not very flat and is rather large.

The tractor before this one was a Craftsman. I got almost 15 years out of it. I could have pushed it farther but it was getting really long in the tooth and i got tired of welding broken stuff on it.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    I currently have a John Deere LX188. It has been a good mower up to now. It has a Kawasaki engine, hydrostatic, power bagger. I think the hydrostatic transmission is going out. It sounds like parts might be hard to get for it and will cost more than the mower is worth now. It must be over 20 years old. So what would be a good replacement in a similar class of mower?
    Go Zero-turn, Ferris.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Still using the John Deere 1985 model lawn tractor that my father-in-law bought new from the JD dealer. It has the Kawasaki engine, but with the manual transmission.

I've replaced the power take-off several years ago, as well as new blades, and I finally put front tires on this year.

But that thing is still going strong.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    If you are lawn tractoring and you live in the hills, buy a Steiner AWD. Flat ground? The JD stuff is ok. I inherited a GT225 that I keep fixing stuff on. The mechanicals are pretty strong but that cheap ass plastic hood is junk aand expensive to replace. J. DEERE wants $600 for a starter that I bought elsewhere for less than $200. They are WAAAAAY too proud of the replacement parts to buy anything from them that i can buy elsewhere.

ZT mowers, I like my Scag.

bigbaloo95

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2014
    wolcottville
    I’m a huge fan of husquvarna tractors. The commercial models anyway. If you want another one the size of your old one John Deere from a dealer (vs big box) is hard to beat. They hold value well. I would stick with Kawasaki or Honda motors. I have sworn off any Briggs of Kohler motors made in the last 20 years.

Top Bottom