• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    Well, after 25 years on this planet, I'm finally in a situation where life is demanding that I apply for a credit card. I don't need the cash advances or anything, I only need to get one for work and travel, all of the money spent will be reimbursed at a later time. I feel sort of over my head here, and I'm curious at to what some other INGO members are carrying around in their wallet. I'd love something with no annual fee, and some sort of cash back feature. Customer service is another high priority for me. I want to make sure I can reach someone in the event of my card getting declined while traveling.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I have had nothing but great experiences with my Chase card. Cash back that has bought a couple of guns, and great customer service. They let me know when they thought fraudulent purchases had been made, and when I confirmed, they shut the account down and sent me a new card within a day or two.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Currently using Sam's Club Mastercard. If you have a membership they are worth investigating. Cash back comes as a check in February. Never had any complaints about Discover or the Cabelas card i used to have either.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well, as someone that racked up some high bills (me), make sure to..

Pay the cards off at the end of the month, or ASAP. Do NOT let them build up. It's a little at a time, and then BAM! you have 25,000 in debt.

Use "alert features". I get an email when my card is used for anything over $20, and anything charged over the phone.
    My phone checks my email. So I know almost instantly of any fraudulent charges.

You might already know these.
    But, being new, maybe not.

Diesel24v

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Central
    Capitol one quiksilver has been the best for us. It’s 1.5%cash back on all purchases and no annual fee. Their customer service has always been top of the line. Keep in mind that any balance not paid in full pretty much nullifies any points you may have earned because of interest charges. We use our cards for everything to get the cash back but are sure not to overspend and pay in full every month.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Currently using Sam's Club Mastercard. If you have a membership they are worth investigating. Cash back comes as a check in February. Never had any complaints about Discover or the Cabelas card i used to have either.
    Ditto on the Sams MasterCard. I pay it off every month. With the cash back each year I’m close to $1,000 that they’ve paid me since I’ve had it.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    If a majority of your charges will be travel and work related, you really should look at cards that reward those types of purchases.

I use a Chase Sapphire card and I get double points on all purchases related to travel and meals. Chase also has a travel portal where you can book hotels, flights, rent cars, etc. If you book through Chase, they give you an extra 25% on the value of the points. (1,000 = 1,250).

Other cards reward you on a cash back basis. Discover has new categories of cash back purchases each quarter. Q1 might be grocery and gas, Q2 might be restaurant and entertainment.

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Discover has all US based customer service and a cash back feature (1% everywhere and 5% on some categories that change every couple of months. I use it for all my regular expenses through the month and pay it off. You can either bank up the rewards and deposit to your bank account, or I think you can cash out each month and have it deposited. In my case I just use the cash back toward the balance each month. It's a great card, IF you pay it off every month. If you don't the rate is high, but as stated I pay it off every month. If you had to run a balance, it would not be the card to do it on.

I also have a Costco Citi Visa card as I am a Costco member and it makes it advantageous to have it. Great rewards, etc but wouldn't be applicable if you are not a Costco member, though it is a Visa (and you manage it through citi.com, etc) and can be used anywhere (4% back on gas, 3% restaurants & travel related expenses, 2% at Costco and 1% everywhere else I believe).

Sounds like it would be business expenses and paid off each month, but be aware, rewards cards typically have higher interest rates than other cards if you do have to carry a balance for some reason.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Sam's Club's card has been mentioned.
    Costco's as well. Costco used to use American Express and service was incredible. I friend of mine who has had his own business for decades has stories of a computer being replaced b/c of being stolen or whatever and other above-the- norm service.

Others have mentioned with your card being used for business, and there are vendors that cater to that.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Chase freedom here. 1% on everything, 5% bonus on different things each quarter. In the past these have been Amazon purchases, grocery store purchases, fuel purchases, and department store purchases. They also will give various bonuses for clicking through their portal to most online stores. General card benefits such as warranty extensions, travel reimbursement if you can't go on a trip for an emergency, and price protection if something you buy can be found cheaper within 90 days you can get reimbursed up to a few thousand per year.

Citi thank you rewards, American Express blue, and discover are also good options. Just treat a CC like cash and you can take advantage of the benefits with no downsides.

With regards to traveling, always let them know you're going somewhere and you won't have any issues. Most can put in travel noticed via the website or phone app in addition to calling.

Last edited:

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I have had nothing but great experiences with my Chase card. Cash back that has bought a couple of guns, and great customer service. They let me know when they thought fraudulent purchases had been made, and when I confirmed, they shut the account down and sent me a new card within a day or two.

Another vote for Chase, love my Freedom card. As above, they’ve been great with any fraud issues. Especially that idiot that used their real name to charge their flippin semester of college to my card! Logged on to pay my bill, saw outstanding balance (always pay in full), & then passed out.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    WWDD= What Would Dave Ramsey Do?

Use the same leftover coffee can for a chamber pot and a handy container for cooking Ramen noodles.

Edit to add more value than Dave "Wipe Your *** With Your Hands" Ramsey: I like my Capital One Quicksilver Visa, for reasons other posters mentioned in this thread. :)

Last edited:

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Capitol one quiksilver has been the best for us. It’s 1.5%cash back on all purchases and no annual fee. Their customer service has always been top of the line. Keep in mind that any balance not paid in full pretty much nullifies any points you may have earned because of interest charges. We use our cards for everything to get the cash back but are sure not to overspend and pay in full every month.

My experience with Capital One has been excellent. Mine has no annual fee and the same cash back feature. You can set your account notifications to suit your needs, but I have it so that I receive a text every time the card is used. When using it in a store where I use the chip reader, my phone is going off before the card is even out of the reader. There is no way someone is making a charge on that account without me knowing instantly that it has happened.

They also have a new feature for online purchases that assigns a separate account number for each site you use to shop...different acct number, expiration date and 3 digit code that is unique to that site and cannot be used anywhere else. The charges still show up on my statement as though I entered my actual account info. When I start to enter my payment info and select credit card payment, there is a pop up on my screen to log into my account. When I do it asks if I wish to assign an account number to the site and provides an alternate number that is then saved for future purchases on that site.

There have been times when I have had to dispute charges, and they have always been very easy to work with. They also double the warranty on items purchased with the card, but you do have to read the fine print and make sure you save the appropriate documentation to use it. We use it to buy any appliances, TV's, etc. just in case we need to use it. So far, I haven't had to but it is nice to know it is an option.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Well, after 25 years on this planet, I'm finally in a situation where life is demanding that I apply for a credit card. I don't need the cash advances or anything, I only need to get one for work and travel, all of the money spent will be reimbursed at a later time. I feel sort of over my head here, and I'm curious at to what some other INGO members are carrying around in their wallet. I'd love something with no annual fee, and some sort of cash back feature. Customer service is another high priority for me. I want to make sure I can reach someone in the event of my card getting declined while traveling.

I've had a variety of credit cards. The main difference among them all has been customer service. Discover Card has far and away the best customer service in the industry and perhaps the best customer service of any large business. I judge all other customer service by the standard set by Discover.

The only downside is that there are occasionally situations where only MC and VISA are accepted (like government agencies such as BMV). For that reason, if you are only going to have one card, it should be a VISA or MC.

Top Bottom