• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Couple fellers were prancing about in my yard today. I'm pretty rural, so this is noteworthy. Theses gents were contractors "mapping" for REMC's coming Internet service. They said they'll be running fiber and looking at a year away from service.

I'm curious if there are any INGOers who actually have REMC's Internet service presently?
    Bandwidth?
    Speed?
    Price?
    Restrictions?
    Reliability?
    Comparison to Comcast Cable Internet?

Here is REMC's web page on the subject. Of course, it's not dated. No idea whether the info is current, years old, guestimation, whatever?

https://www.sciremc.com/content/announcing-phase-i-fiber-home-project

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Hope your contractors are better than ATTs. They are running buried fiber here. Have been since Feb. We are all annoyed as F*** at them, as they have torn up the entire place, and are taking their time filling in holes, picking up trash, etc. Ive had holes and yard torn up so bad you cant run a mower over it all spring. (gouges where the excavator left a rut 8" deep) Oh, and Ive had a 10' spool of plastic condut at my curb for 3 months and havent seen anyone around for 3 weeks.

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    Our local REMC (Jackson County) is installing fiber and my daughter just got hooked up. Starting speed is 50 meg up and down for $55/month, up to 1gig available. Where I live we can't get cable so I'm pumped to get hooked up. I'm in the next phase so it should be by end of the year for me.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Hope it works better than their "Broadband Over Powerlines" scam a few years ago. "Oh Yeah it's all fully functional" they said, "Oh no it must just be a localized problem at your address because yours is the only complaint we've received" they said. "Oh no, it's highly unlikely it'll ever work correctly because even one broken insulator greatly impairs the service" the lineman said. "Well we're not really sure why you haven't received your full $300 hookup and first 6 months fees refunded yet" they said. "Well you've been hooked up to it for 3 months now so we can only refund your greatly discounted last 3 months of unused service for a total of $29" they said. "Your service provider is bankrupt and I purchased the service from YOU and YOU (SCIREMC) are responsible for a full refund because your lineman told me it would never work" I said. "Please don't make me lawyer up over $300" I said. "Oh alright if you're going to be an ass about it here's your money" they (essentially)said.

"Good Luck" I said.

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I just bought a house in their service area. I asked them about it because I kept hearing about it. They said they are still “in the planning “ stages.
    I have a friend in their service area and he was told they are going to the most outlying areas first. I don’t have a business degree but that seems pretty risky to start the capital expenditures in the area that will give you the least return on your investment.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    I would dearly love to have truly fast internet service.

I've lived through two satellite internet providers that were awful at customer service and terrible at providing internet service. (I'm really not a difficult person! :))
    There are rumors of high-speed internet in Brown County, but I've turned into a "I'll believe it when I see it" skeptic.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I hope their Internet Prices are better than their Electric Rates.

Please expand your comment. Compare and contrast to other member cooperatives, municipalities, and Investor Owned Utility (IOU) rates. Please define by cents per kWh. Please also specify how long you’ve been served by SCI. Identify any service issues including unplanned outages and average length of time to correct the problem. Please do not include major ice storm or other extraordinary damage.

I’ll await your reply.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I hope their Internet Prices are better than their Electric Rates.

They are NOT. I signed up for info and discovered pricing the same as this gent:

Our local REMC (Jackson County) is installing fiber and my daughter just got hooked up. Starting speed is 50 meg up and down for $55/month, up to 1gig available. Where I live we can't get cable so I'm pumped to get hooked up. I'm in the next phase so it should be by end of the year for me.

I have had ups and downs with Comcast over the years, but cable internet service in my rural location was a huge selling factor when I moved here.

$55 + tax would effectively be twice what I pay for next to bottom tier cable internet service.

Even if I thought they they might get their head out of their butt and get this done efficiently, I'm not paying double. In recent years, I'm less and less happy with REMC as an electricity provider.

As stated, pricing has gone unexplainable high while service has gotten worse and worse. Don't even get me started on the solar panel fields...:xmad:

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    I would happily pay $55 for fiber 50mb. BUT, the local REMC has turned into a high rate, high fee money suck, spend money, incur debt, on the backs of its members due to lousy-greedy management. IMO.

Last edited:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Hope your contractors are better than ATTs. They are running buried fiber here. Have been since Feb. We are all annoyed as F*** at them, as they have torn up the entire place, and are taking their time filling in holes, picking up trash, etc. Ive had holes and yard torn up so bad you cant run a mower over it all spring. (gouges where the excavator left a rut 8" deep) Oh, and Ive had a 10' spool of plastic condut at my curb for 3 months and havent seen anyone around for 3 weeks.

Sorry to hear that. I'm guessing we had a different group of contractors in our area last fall (around Harding and Banta). While they were very slow, they did patch things up reasonably quickly and cleaned up decently as well. Been using ATT Gigabit fiber for about 6 months or so and I'm pretty happy with it so far.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I'd be thrilled if someone, anyone, would get us some more options out here.

I'm 4.5 miles from town. No cable, no DSL. The only choices we have are satellite, dial-up, wireless. We're using the wireless company. 10Mbps down, 5 up, $90 a month.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    They are NOT. I signed up for info and discovered pricing the same as this gent:

I have had ups and downs with Comcast over the years, but cable internet service in my rural location was a huge selling factor when I moved here.

$55 + tax would effectively be twice what I pay for next to bottom tier cable internet service.

Even if I thought they they might get their head out of their butt and get this done efficiently, I'm not paying double. In recent years, I'm less and less happy with REMC as an electricity provider.

As stated, pricing has gone unexplainable high while service has gotten worse and worse. Don't even get me started on the solar panel fields...:xmad:
    You have a very generous cable provider if you're truly paying <$30/month for 50 megabit full duplex service.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You have a very generous cable provider if you're truly paying <$30/month for 50 megabit full duplex service.

Don't know if I'd call Comcast/Xfinity generous? I get Internet only and own my own modem. Also must let them auto charge my debit card monthly for the best pricing.

It's about time for the annual argument, where they raise the price without asking so I can call them and threaten to quit the service. I'll be subject to whatever the current "specials" they are offering. In the past, I've paid as little as $20 and as high as $40.

Xfinity even at it's highest, notably lower than what REMC is proposing. Xfinity also doesn't charge any sales tax or other hidden/mistery sort of up-charges for Internet service. Every month there is a 7% sales tax on my REMC bill, for their "service." :dunno:

I'm skeptical of booking in too deep with REMC. As stated they are not the "cooperative" they once were. They **** away our "contribution" on wasteful silly crap without regard for the customer who has no choice if they feel the need for electricity.

Again though, I'd like to hear from others who might be on REMC's service or something like it?

Maybe fiber is so much better it'd be worth it? Maybe fiber is the be all do all? Maybe worth the extra money for the fat pipe?
    The Xfinity I'm paying for is supposed to be 60mbps. I get around half that. Maybe fiber will give 100% of that is paid for at my rural location? I certainly do get bottlenecks and streaming issues.

Last edited:

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    55 bucks a month for 50 meg??? That would be a bargain for me. We pay more than that for 10 meg, it is our, other than awful satellite, only option. We are extremely rural, seven miles from nearest small town.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Don't know if I'd call Comcast/Xfinity generous? I get Internet only and own my own modem. Also must let them auto charge my debit card monthly for the best pricing.

It's about time for the annual argument, where they raise the price without asking so I can call them and threaten to quit the service. I'll be subject to whatever the current "specials" they are offering. In the past, I've paid as little as $20 and as high as $40.

Xfinity even at it's highest, notably lower than what REMC is proposing. Xfinity also doesn't charge any sales tax or other hidden/mistery sort of up-charges for Internet service. Every month there is a 7% sales tax on my REMC bill, for their "service." :dunno:

I'm skeptical of booking in too deep with REMC. As stated they are not the "cooperative" they once were. They **** away our "contribution" on wasteful silly crap without regard for the customer who has no choice if they feel the need for electricity.

Again though, I'd like to hear from others who might be on REMC's service or something like it?

Maybe fiber is so much better it'd be worth it? Maybe fiber is the be all do all? Maybe worth the extra money for the fat pipe?
    The Xfinity I'm paying for is supposed to be 60mbps. I get around half that. Maybe fiber will give 100% of that is paid for at my rural location? I certainly do get bottlenecks and streaming issues.
    I can't speak to REMC but if they truly run fiber all the way to your house then yes it is far superior to any copper cable based solutions. With my AT&T fiber service, I pay for 100 and get about 125 and that's in both directions with latency in the single digit millisecond range. They did say that if you go top tier (1000 Mbps) that typical speeds are in the upper 900s.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I can't speak to REMC but if they truly run fiber all the way to your house then yes it is far superior to any copper cable based solutions. With my AT&T fiber service, I pay for 100 and get about 125 and that's in both directions with latency in the single digit millisecond range. They did say that if you go top tier (1000 Mbps) that typical speeds are in the upper 900s.

I understand the more/better idea. Just not sure the benefit of more speed is worth twice the money? Again, cable aint perfect, but it's OK for the money.

I moved from years of having expensive crappy satellite Internet, so I certainly appreciate an upgrade. Just don't know if if I can actually make effective use of the speed to justify double the money?

Then there is the idea that it is REMC. If I had AT&T and was unhappy, I could drop their service along with my phone service. If I'm unhappy with REMC, I'm still stuck with their electricity.

I'm thinking I'll let others be the guinea pigs on this. I'm signed up for information on REMC's service, so as far as they know I'm interested. It'll be interesting to see how many folks in this area, already having cable for less $, will sign up?

Other than the disruption and security issues of contractors working my fairly remote location, I'm happy that REMC is doing this. Regardless of whether I sign on, options are always good. Maybe the competition will drive all the pricing to be more competitive?

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Seen at least one guy I know in this...

[video=youtube;ifhjxO7q7mc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&amp;v=ifhjxO7q7mc[/video]

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I would dearly love to have truly fast internet service.

I've lived through two satellite internet providers that were awful at customer service and terrible at providing internet service. (I'm really not a difficult person! :))
    There are rumors of high-speed internet in Brown County, but I've turned into a "I'll believe it when I see it" skeptic.

Same here, one of the disadvantages of living deep in the woods.

Top Bottom