Could be the Cylons

I'll stick with the Borg.

Seven-of-Nine-seven-of-nine-17940437-245-471.jpg

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I remember two friends telling me about being fired over the phone while driving into work after a corporate buyout. That was cold, but not computer cold.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    HR is dead, long live the computer.

I was hired at my current job (Fed gov) by a computer. Never even had an interview. Actually I was hired twice (two different jobs) and took the second one (higher salary grade). That was a little over 8 years ago. It took MANY iterations of my resume to get hired though. They (computers) scan them looking for key words... by the time I was done with it, it was nearly unreadable because it was mostly key words. :):

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    So we were watching one of the Terminator movies on Netflix a few weeks ago. Just as the military went to reboot the Skyenet computer this message popped up on the TV. It had been a while since we had seen this movie and at first I just saw the error message and thought it was part of the movie. Then I realized it was a Netflix error message. Then I thought, how ironic, this is just what would happen if Skyenet was taking over. The other coincidence, I just so happened to be repacking my BOB following a weekend trip.

maxresdefault.jpg

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    While the borg are still likely to assimilate us before the cylons or skynet decide they want to wipe us out, he was not "fired" by a computer. His contract expired because his boss was fired, by a human, and new boss didn't renew the contract. Automation did what it was supposed to after the contract was marked expired to protect the security of the firm.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    While the borg are still likely to assimilate us before the cylons or skynet decide they want to wipe us out, he was not "fired" by a computer. His contract expired because his boss was fired, by a human, and new boss didn't renew the contract. Automation did what it was supposed to after the contract was marked expired to protect the security of the firm.

And it underscores the pitfalls of TOO much automation. The fact that no human was capable of stopping that ball from rolling all the way to the bottom is a big problem.

EDIT: As I read it, he was not fired, his contract was just not flagged as renewed, when it should have been. Note at the end where he left after he was reinstated because his colleagues acted weird because they felt he had been fired and rehired instead of it being a mistake.

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Thanks, Denny.

Our OLD system allows mangerless staff. A Manager could be "exited", and their direct reports would then report to no one. Kinda like the guy in Office Space. Our current system will auto-move all direct reports to that manager's manager.

I have some friends that do contract work. They have been auto-termed before, too. Contract expired, they were terminated. 3 days later the contract was "renewed", and they were auto-rehired. Annoying, but pretty slick for the business.

Top Bottom