• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    My kitchen sink is gurgling after we turn off the water. There is about a 10 second delay after the water is shut off then it gurgles 6 or 8 times, another delay than another short series of gurgles which sound further down the pipes. We've lived here 13 years and have never experienced this before. Any ideas?

Heavy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2016
    Tippecanoe County
    If in town and on a municipal system then you probably have an obstruction in the drain line. Likely out in the yard caused by tree roots. Probably a combination of tree roots and all the grease that goes down the drain. If on septic, then it’s time to have it pumped out and start crossing your fingers it’s not roots. Call the local municipal waste water plant and tell them you’re slow to drain and want make sure it isn’t on their side before paying for a plumber to snake your line. They will come out and let you know of their status (or they should) and can go from there.

If snaking the line fixes this then be prepared for this to become a more common occurrence. The nozzles or cutting head the plumber will use is only an inch or two in diameter so they are essentially poking a hole so it will drain, it doesn’t take long to clog up again.

Do you have an exterior sewer clean out?

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Been down that road before....too many times. I agree with what Heavy has said. If you need to have it snaked be cautious of some of the big companies. They will screw you big time. Had ARS snake my sewer main once and they charged me $75 for a blue poly tarp the guy put in the yard before he set up his machine beside the cleanout. Mr. Quick had a $98 deal but it required me to allow them to come out and run a camera through the main within a couple days.
    Heavy is right uaually they will use the smallest cutter possible and it won't be long before it backs up again. I ended up having to have my main dug up and replaced. First section I paid the big Co to do it and they again charged me for tarps ($75 each) to put the dirt on top of and they charged me $10,000 to dig a 15 ft section because it dropped to 10' deep at the street.
    When it happened again I used Lee's plumbing and he snaked it and once it was flowing, he ran a larger cutter through the pipe (3-4") to make sure it was as clear as possible. Problem was tree roots every time. He recommended English excavating to replace the second seciton of pipe and they only charged me $2200 to replace a 30' section.

2yrs ago English did a main at our church that was 250' and about 8- 10' deep the whole run and only charged 10k. Not trying to advertise for them by any means, just saying use some caution and make sure they are clear upfront with what is happening and what they are doing.

My first go round was less than 6 months after I bought/moved into my house. Needless to say I didn't have the 10k and it put me in a bind for a while

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    We haven't noticed any slow draining and we do have a garbage disposal but it runs over the to the other side and I hear the gurgling on both. I'm not sure if there is a clean out anywhere, my house is on a slab and I know there's a water meter cover in the front yard, that's about as helpful as I can get with info.

I was kind of hoping it might have had something to do with all of the rain we had yesterday.

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Just checked the rest of the house and the kitchen sink appears to be the only gurgler. I've got some Drano gel in the drain now, gonna follow it up with a couple gallons of hot water in 20 minutes and see if that accomplishes anything.

91FXRS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    NWI
    If the only problem is in the line with the disposal(or those connected) I can almost guarantee its filled with crap.

Heavy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2016
    Tippecanoe County
    Hopefully it is just the disposal line gunked up. Cheap and easy fix. Might try dumping some cleaner down it to see. Saying that the sound seems to be moving farther away means the line fills with waste water completely and the gurgling sound is the water getting through in small bursts and trading sides with whatever the obstruction is letting air up the line until it makes it past the traps in the sink. No other drains are slow or noisy? Is this sound only heard when that sink is used or when other drains are operating?

Depending on age of house if fairly new then you should have a clean out in the yard. Look for the main roof vent and your lateral running out to the main should be pretty much right in line (give or take a few feet) with its location. If there is one it should be, if installed up to code, within 4 feet of the edge of the house. ItÂ’s not uncommon for them to be buried a bit. If not, look to see if you have a sewer manhole directly out front of the house sometimes the lateral will tie directly into the manhole. If neither and the line needs snaked then the plumber will have to get up on the roof and go via the vent pipe. Or take the toilet loose.

Also, if you are on a combined sewer meaning storm and sewage share the same pipeline, then it could very well be due to the rain and the line out front needs jet/vacÂ’d. Always call the local city service first before paying a plumber, they will often charge you even when they know itÂ’s not the residents problem.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I can't find any irregularities anywhere else in the house. I found the clean out (painted it brown to match the mulch years ago and forgot about it), pulled the cap and it looks all clear. There was a steady stream of water flowing through it from the washing machine draining.

I poured a large pot of near boiling water down the kitchen sink after the Drano sat and it's draining just fine, made a nice little vortex but it's still gurgling.

I also went outside and located the vent pipe on the roof. If it's got crap in it what is the best way to go about cleaning it out? I've got a really long flexible fiberglass tool I use to clean the dryer vent out periodically, I guess I could try to form a coat hanger hook on the end of it and feed it down the vent?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The vent should effect more than just the sink.
    Have you ran some hot water down the garbage disposal with it running. We occasionally half fill the sink with hot/soapy and pull the plug and light up the disposal. It tends to push the odd bits and pieces down the drain.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I haven't but the disposal side of the sink drains into the other side just a few inches under the sink and well above the P trap so I don't think the disposal side could be causing it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I appreciate the help troubleshooting. I'll pull the P trap tomorrow and see if there's a dead cat in it or something.

I found about a cat sized bit of hair and gunk when I remodeled our bath. OK, maybe more softball sized, but damn. 12 years of gunk buildup.

And if the gurgle/slowness is on the disposal side, check where the water enters the main drain on the other side of the sink. that can clog easy.

Top Bottom