• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    I'm scratching my head on this one as I thought when Indiana cracked down on motorized bicycles, other similar forms of motorized conveyance was also prohibited from use on public property?

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Yea there's a bit of a thing going down on the city. They are being g apprehensive, there's a council meeting tomorrow for folks to voice support or complaints.

I'll be there in support. The scooters are just too damn handy. A co-worker has mobility issues and loves them bc now he can ride one between the parking garage and the office on rough days. Or we can use them to go farther away for lunch thus opening up more of the city to him.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    These Bird scooters are GREAT. Super handy, cheap, and quick. If you need to get from one side of downtown to the other, they are the way to go.

My guess is that the City Council will find some way to *** this up for us.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    These Bird scooters are GREAT. Super handy, cheap, and quick. If you need to get from one side of downtown to the other, they are the way to go.

My guess is that the City Council will find some way to *** this up for us.
    Well, they are not allowed to ride them on the sidewalks or in the roadways.....so there is that.

[FONT=&amp]Sec. 631-122. - Vehicles on public property restricted.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
    (a)​
    It shall be unlawful for any person to operate any motor-powered vehicle including, without limitation, any two-wheeled or three-wheeled motorcycle, motor scooter, snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle, upon any land which is reasonably identifiable as the property of the City of Indianapolis or County of Marion, or any agency or department thereof, other than public roads and streets, except in such areas and at such time as may be expressly permitted by the department of public parks and recreation or order of the governing board or director of the particular department or agency which has jurisdiction and control over any particular land area.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Sec. 645-528. - Use of toy vehicles.

https://library.municode.com/https://library.municode.com/https://library.municode.com/https://library.municode.com/https://library.municode.com/

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
    (a)​
    It shall be unlawful for any person, who is riding in or by means of a skateboard, coaster, scooter, toy vehicle or any similar play device, to park, stand or use any such vehicle or device upon any roadway, except when and where such roadway is designated as a play street, or while he is crossing a street on a crosswalk, and when so crossing, such person shall be granted all of the rights and shall be subject to all of the duties applicable to pedestrians.
    (b)​
    It is hereby declared a public nuisance and, therefore, a violation of this Code to operate a skateboard, coaster, scooter, toy vehicle or any similar play device on the streets, sidewalks, ramps and parking areas within the territory bounded by and including:
    (1)​
    College Avenue on the west, Compton Street on the east, 62nd Street on the south, and 65th Street on the north;
    (2)​
    North Street on the north, South Street on the south, East Street on the east, and West Street on the west ("Downtown Mile Square");
    (3)​
    Pedestrian bridges and city right-of-way on either side of the canal, from the south right-of-way line of Eleventh Street to North Street, and from West Street to the White River ("Canal Walk Zone"); and
    (4)​
    Massachusetts Avenue from the intersection of North Street and East Street to the intersection of College Avenue and Saint Clair Street.
    (c)​
    A skateboard operated in violation of this section may be temporarily held to abate the nuisance.
    (d)​
    The first violation in any calendar year shall be subject to admission of violation and payment of the designated civil penalty through the ordinance violations bureau in accordance with Chapter 103 of this Code. All second and subsequent violations in the calendar year are subject to the enforcement procedures and penalties provided insection 103-3 this Code.
    (e)​
    An exception to subsection (b) exists for special events, parades, and similar activities where a right-of-way use or other applicable permit is in effect for the activity.

[/FONT]

Last edited:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    These scooters are everywhere downtown. In concept I really don't have a problem with them. However in reality I see some potential issues. Especially around big events it could create some problems. When you have thousands emptying out of Victory Field or Lucas Oil Stadium and people are ziping around on scooters I think it really creates some undue safety concern for elderly or people with mobility issues or even little kids.
    Sidewalks are primarily meant for pedestrian use. Granted the scooters should not be on the roads creating a nuisance or creating unnecessary hazard either. I see a tough balancing act...maybe the city should allow them for a trial period and evaluate any incidence of injury to pedestrians that may result before making any laws/ordinances

I know how stupid some of these clowns downtown on bicycles are zipping in/out of traffic and on/off sidewalks and creating problems during peak business hours. Same idiots (ok not all are) will be on the scooters

fullmetaljesus

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Its no worse than people on bikes. Jerks will be jerks. There are good bike riders and bad riders just like scooters

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Its no worse than people on bikes. Jerks will be jerks. There are good bike riders and bad riders just like scooters
    Bikes are allowed to be in the road, these are not. Neither are allowed on sidewalks, where the scooters are run mostly. They came here without checking the laws. I say ticket the riders and let them take it up with the companies. These companies did this to a few other cities without checking the local laws.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Well, they are not allowed to ride them on the sidewalks or in the roadways.....so there is that.

[FONT=&amp]Sec. 631-122. - Vehicles on public property restricted.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
    (a)​
    It shall be unlawful for any person to operate any motor-powered vehicle including, without limitation, any two-wheeled or three-wheeled motorcycle, motor scooter, snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle, upon any land which is reasonably identifiable as the property of the City of Indianapolis or County of Marion, or any agency or department thereof, other than public roads and streets, except in such areas and at such time as may be expressly permitted by the department of public parks and recreation or order of the governing board or director of the particular department or agency which has jurisdiction and control over any particular land area.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Sec. 645-528. - Use of toy vehicles.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
    (a)​
    It shall be unlawful for any person, who is riding in or by means of a skateboard, coaster, scooter, toy vehicle or any similar play device, to park, stand or use any such vehicle or device upon any roadway, except when and where such roadway is designated as a play street, or while he is crossing a street on a crosswalk, and when so crossing, such person shall be granted all of the rights and shall be subject to all of the duties applicable to pedestrians.
    (b)​
    It is hereby declared a public nuisance and, therefore, a violation of this Code to operate a skateboard, coaster, scooter, toy vehicle or any similar play device on the streets, sidewalks, ramps and parking areas within the territory bounded by and including:
    (1)​
    College Avenue on the west, Compton Street on the east, 62nd Street on the south, and 65th Street on the north;
    (2)​
    North Street on the north, South Street on the south, East Street on the east, and West Street on the west ("Downtown Mile Square");
    (3)​
    Pedestrian bridges and city right-of-way on either side of the canal, from the south right-of-way line of Eleventh Street to North Street, and from West Street to the White River ("Canal Walk Zone"); and
    (4)​
    Massachusetts Avenue from the intersection of North Street and East Street to the intersection of College Avenue and Saint Clair Street.
    (c)​
    A skateboard operated in violation of this section may be temporarily held to abate the nuisance.
    (d)​
    The first violation in any calendar year shall be subject to admission of violation and payment of the designated civil penalty through the ordinance violations bureau in accordance with Chapter 103 of this Code. All second and subsequent violations in the calendar year are subject to the enforcement procedures and penalties provided insection 103-3 this Code.
    (e)​
    An exception to subsection (b) exists for special events, parades, and similar activities where a right-of-way use or other applicable permit is in effect for the activity.

[/FONT]

Sounds to me that the mayor and the council wants them to be able to ride them anywhere.

fullmetaljesus

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I was at the council meeting, they only want them on the streets not the sidewalks

Sure bikes aren't allowed on the sidewalks yet everyday I see a person on a bike on the sidewalk.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I've never ridden one but I'll fall in line with my millennials. I like the idea of scooters replacing cars for short trips. They appear to have the same potential cons as bikes which I don't find to outweigh the pros.
    Also a fan of the free market approach. By the fact that I actually see them being used I assume they aren't govt funded like the blue Indy.

fullmetaljesus

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Are here helmets available for these scooters?

After you take your first ride on a bird scooter you qualify for a free helmet you just have to pay the 1.99 shipping.

Lime offers free hemlets only in san diago right now but hopes to expand that to new cities soon.

Top Bottom