• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    Looking for any advice besides don't do it :) I've seen a 2004 pontoon come up for sale on craigslist and it looks to be in pretty decent shape. I'm a first time boat buyer and don't know squat about outboard motors. My main concern is the motor. The ad doesn't say if it's a 2 stroke or 4 stroke but I figure items to check will be fairly similar. I know that I at least want to hear it run with muffs on but would prefer a test drive on the water. The boat is in Brownsburg so getting out on the water might or might not be an issue. I wouldn't mind to check compression but I don't have a gauge and if I did I don't know how to to it. Is it wise to check the oil/lube in the lower drive and if so how? Anything else a must to check?

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/boa/d/2004-bentley-24ft-fish/6627460753.html

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    You'll definitely want to hear it run at a minimum. Ideally you'll want to test drive on water but if that's not an option, muffs may be your only option. Make sure water comes out the pee hole and while running check to make sure gearbox engages both forward and reverse. Check hydraulic and fuel lines for any signs of leaks. Have seller pull motor cover off so you can see wiring, flywheel, starter drive gear, plug wires, etc and look for anything visible that looks like it could be an issue. If seller would do it you could ask to check gear oil, if milky looking, pass on the deal, or be prepared to spend some more money once you purchase and before taking it out on the water.
    Google some Youtube videos on checking outboard motor function out of the water, im sure theres plenty out there. And look for videos for both 2 and 4 stroke since you're not sure which it is.
    Hope this helps a little and good luck to you!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    ^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    And look the floats over really well for damage and corrosion. Get uner it and look at the decking from the bottom for rot. Also for damage underneath.
    Walk the deck checking for soft spots. Test the lights.

Edit.....I live withing 30 minutes of this place. I am oit in Brownsburg at least 1 time a week as the 11 year old G-daughter has art class at the Library. I would be more than willing to take a look at it if you wish. It will be a couple of days.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    You could take it to Eagle Creek for a float test. You didn’t mention the motor size. Eagle Creek has a 9.9 hp limit - but you could idle it around for awhile (wink wink) as long as you didn’t get stupid.

Find out the year of the motor and last time the impeller may have been changed. If the motor has been sitting for a few years the impeller should be replaced regardless of whether the pee hole is shooting out water. Ear muffs are okay, but they force water thru the motor rather than having the impeller pull water. Best to check by putting lower unit in water - barrel or on a body of water.

Ask about out titles for boat and trailer. Check trailer tires for dry rot. Ask about batteries - age and use. Accessories ? Life jackets, fish finders, etc. Some things to think about.

Good luck

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Nice looking pontoon and while the seller states it has always been covered, I see no mention of included cover? A good cover (no rot /mold) is almost a necessity on a pontoon.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    May seem nit-picking but spin the prop thru by hand to ensure it spins true and doesn't have a bent shaft. I went to look at a used boat one time and met the guy at the lake for a test drive. It had a horrible vibration at 1/2 throttle and up, we never even pulled out of the marina. While we were loading it up my oldest who was 6 at the time was back spinning the prop when I noticed it came to an abrupt stop. The output shaft was so badly bent that the prop would spin thru by hand and then jam to the point it took both hands on it to move it past the interference point.

As usual the owner wasn't aware of the problem or when it happened. I suggested we stop at a local boat dealer that was on the way back to town to find out how much the repair would be. When we walked in the door the salesman recognized the boats owner and asked him if he had changed his mind and decided to go ahead and change out the lower unit with the bent shaft. I turned around without saying a word and left.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    Thanks for all the input!

Thanks Mouse for the offer to look at it, the people on this site are awesome! I doesn't appear that I'm going to have the time to take a look at it until next week. I think I'll take a look at it on my own before before I enlist your help CM. If it appears to be good and we agree on a price I'll tell him I want to have someone else look it over before handing over the money. If this goes through I'll owe you a cheeseburger or a six pack or both! Thanks!

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Here is a nice one I seen out at Rockville.....I want a pontoon but hate to spend the money on something I may use 10 times a year. Hate to haul it. Thought about buying lot at Heritage Lake just for boating and fishing. Also thought about buying one with a friend or 2...and splitting cost and use. I like this outfit though......https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/boa/d/2005-crest-iii-xrs-25ft/6627045515.html

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Here is a nice one I seen out at Rockville.....I want a pontoon but hate to spend the money on something I may use 10 times a year. Hate to haul it. Thought about buying lot at Heritage Lake just for boating and fishing. Also thought about buying one with a friend or 2...and splitting cost and use. I like this outfit though......https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/boa/d/2005-crest-iii-xrs-25ft/6627045515.html

Is that the Marina at the top of the hill east of Raccoon lake...???

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    The Craigslist link now says that the post has been deleted by it's author???

We'll damn, easy come easy go. I wasn't really planning on buying one this year anyway unless the right one comes along. The wife wasn't really happy about it since it was going to take away the kitchen remodel money :)

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside

That one would also be good but a little more money than I want to spend. Although I keep tossing around the idea of selling my firebird since I only drive it a couple times a year and that would free up some coin.

I have the same feeling of spending the money on a boat that won't get used often. However my kids are starting to hit the perfect age were going camping and boating should be a blast for them, at least it was when I was a kid.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We'll damn, easy come easy go. I wasn't really planning on buying one this year anyway unless the right one comes along. The wife wasn't really happy about it since it was going to take away the kitchen remodel money :)

Uh.....take some sound advice and do the kitchen. Then get a better boat.....:laugh:

I have some experience in this area...:)

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Is that the Marina at the top of the hill east of Raccoon lake...???

No sir...the Marina on East side is The Boat Place I think, he is a nice guy and if you buy a boat from him he will let you store it at his shop thru the summer if you use his boat storage of a winter. This boat was at https://www.reedertrauschmarines.com/ which I think is at 36 and 59 west of lake.

Top Bottom