Laying large limestone slab, is it possible?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    We are in the process of installing a hearth to put a wood burning stove on. The basic idea is that the hearth will be raised about 6-8 inches from the floor. We will be installing stone going up the walls behind the stove. We decided that we want the stove to sit on a slab of Indiana limestone. So, I found a place that will cut a piece of Indiana limestone to the size we need. We like the idea of it being one piece and having no seams. The problem with that is that the single piece would weigh about 750lbs. So, that would have to be unloaded from a truck or trailer, brought up one step, to the front porch, then up another step and through a 36" doorway. The slab would have to be vertical to do this. Then the slab would have to make it to its location, get turned horizontal and placed on the raised hearth. Is this even possible? Cutting hole in the roof and using a crane is not an option.

Plan B is to have the slab cut into 2 pieces, thus creating a 300lb slab and a 450lb slab. This would be more manageable, but not as desirable.

Anyone have any great ideas or have experience doing this?

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    A small army should be all you need.

Joking aside I'm sure with enough people it could be done. The place cutting it should have an idea of how much support it would take to take it from the vertical plane to the horizontal. It will probably be shipped vertically as well. Some heavy duty dollies with good wheels would be a must. I'm thinking some 2x4 rigging and ramps might do the job of transitioning and getting the slab into place.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Portable ramps, over-sized dollies, build a 2x4 frame over the hearth and use a pulley or block/tackle to position the stone.

Or hire someone to move it. Guessing the stone masons know some folks, or call a safe mover, or someone who deals with stone counter tops.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I would suggest hiring someone like a gun safe mover to move it in. If you can get it home, great!

The problem here, as I see it, is even if you can physically move it, can you move it SAFELY???

That much weight could kill someone, or permanently injure, not to mention damage to the home and possibly shattering the limestone.

I've moved things I should have, and been lucky. I've put my hand where I shouldn't, and been unlucky. It only takes one time and you wouldn't want that on your conscience.

Best of luck,

Doug

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Have it loaded onto a drywall cart when you pick it up. Ratchet strap it to the drywall cart. Longest ramps that will reasonably fit in the house with cribbing under them. Once it gets in the room you will need to get a little clever to get it off the cart.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    You can move it with 1 inch PVC water pipe as rollers on a solid surface, the trick will be getting it horizontal safely. Find a bunch of strong friends and have a plan so no one is underneath.

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    Thanks for the input so far. Safety is definitely a concern. I’m not as invincible as I once was. To answer Skullglides’s question, I’m close to Pendleton, IN. The drywall cart idea could definitely work to get it in the house. It’s the getting it horizontal and in place that really concerns me. The fact that it is going in a corner makes it even more challenging. There won’t be any way to lift from the sides once it gets to the point that it is almost in place.

mergatroid

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    We are in the process of installing a hearth to put a wood burning stove on. The basic idea is that the hearth will be raised about 6-8 inches from the floor. We will be installing stone going up the walls behind the stove. We decided that we want the stove to sit on a slab of Indiana limestone. So, I found a place that will cut a piece of Indiana limestone to the size we need. We like the idea of it being one piece and having no seams. The problem with that is that the single piece would weigh about 750lbs. So, that would have to be unloaded from a truck or trailer, brought up one step, to the front porch, then up another step and through a 36" doorway. The slab would have to be vertical to do this. Then the slab would have to make it to its location, get turned horizontal and placed on the raised hearth. Is this even possible? Cutting hole in the roof and using a crane is not an option.

Plan B is to have the slab cut into 2 pieces, thus creating a 300lb slab and a 450lb slab. This would be more manageable, but not as desirable.

Anyone have any great ideas or have experience doing this?

I'm thinking that the ancient Egyptians did it on a daily basis. I agree with the guy that said YouTube it.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    I'm sure it can be done, gonna take a lot of muscle and care. Worst case scenario, visitors can comment on how tight the seams are and how well matched the grain is, almost like it all the pieces came from one large slab.

epeery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2018
    Columbus
    Don't forget to double check the floor capacity as well. The stone, plus stove, plus equipment and people at installation is a considerable load to support.

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    Don't forget to double check the floor capacity as well. The stone, plus stove, plus equipment and people at installation is a considerable load to support.
    Yep! Good advice. We built the house last year and had the builder do the necesssary engineering/reinforcement. Definitely something that needs to be thought about. Our stove is 700lbs. Add the hearth, a full load of wood and some stove tools, it gets really heavy really quickly.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    engine hoist? piano dollies? gun safe delivery people?

As to reinforcing the floor, how's the floor between the door and the hearth going to hold up to moving that thing, even on dollies?

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    If you planned ahead with extra bracing under your stove, why didn't you have the slab put down before the walls were put up?

Just asking.

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    If you planned ahead with extra bracing under your stove, why didn't you have the slab put down before the walls were put up?

Just asking.

Good question. I couldn't get my wife to agree on what materials or stove, so we had to postpone that as to not delay construction for months. She is very "visual." She needed to see the room before she could make up her mind. It sure would have made things easier.

Top Bottom