• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    People are outraged about kids and people running around shooting everyone.
    Who gave them the video games that taught them to shoot and kill everyone and thing in sight.
    The games taught them to give no regards to life just kill.

So now they do it with real weapons.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Doesn't hold water. Many of us spent too many hours playing Doom, Wolfenstein, Duke Nukem, and many others. I personally killed zillions of make believe characters and not once did I ever relate them to real people who bleed real blood.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    You're gonna catch some grief for this one SJ. I completely disagree. Video games are a worldwide phenomena, and killers with no regard for human life (comparatively) are minuscule in number. I would expect, that if your premise were true, there'd be weekly murders on every block in the nation.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I can't say its video games. But with graphics getting better and several years ago Call of Duty had a moment in the campaign where your goal was to shoot up an airport and kill as many civilians as possible.

Whether its connected or not I have no clue. I've been out of touch with "gamers" for a long time. I have an xbox 1 and a ps4 and they both get used very rarely. I only buy one game a year if that and its normally sports games.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    There are always going to be people who are influenced by video games, or movies, TV shows, or song lyrics. Maybe something they read in a book. These people have issues that aren't caused by those things, they're just catalysts. With all the imagery of death and killing, I do believe we may be more desensitized to it than previous generations, but I don't think that equates with many more killers roaming the streets than before. The crime statistics just don't show it.

As a parent and a video game player myself, I didn't let my son play violent video games until he was at an age I felt it was appropriate. Even then I monitored his game time and the games he played. I also talked to him about the difference between games and reality, not once but several times. His Mom and I also cut back his gaming when we felt he was playing too much. As with anything when kids are involved you have to be a parent. You can't just sit them in front of the TV or computer and let it be the babysitter with no involvement. Too many parents do that IMO.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    This stance is just retarded.

People have been killing each other for millions of years.
    Sometimes people are ****s. Crazy is crazy sometimes they kill bc God told them to, or because they are paranoid of the government, or they are just generally unhinged , or bc they want to take over a country, or to prevent/stop a perceived threat (real or not)

The common factor is they are nuts.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Doesn't hold water. Many of us spent too many hours playing Doom, Wolfenstein, Duke Nukem, and many others. I personally killed zillions of make believe characters and not once did I ever relate them to real people who bleed real blood.

Ditto!

I did not play the airport terrorist part of CoD. It was a great map for team v team play. Where's the fun in mowing down defenseless people in a video game? People that played that scenario over and over to get higher scores might be worth keeping an eye on though.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    1 - I played First-person shooters for years/decades. Still haven't turned into a murderer.
    2 - Back when D&D was the devil, I played for years/decades. Still haven't turned into a murderer.
    3 - Don't want your kids playing violent video games? Don't let them. Works for lots of other things, too.
    4 - Don't want your kids taught "to give no regards to life just kill", then don't teach them that. Teach them something else.
    5 - Don't want OTHER kids to become murderers? Volunteer some time at one of the hundreds of thousands of opportunities to have a positive impact on their lives.
    6 - Want to continue growing the .gov in a feeble attempt to force control over the masses? Kiss my shiny metal ass. What's next, Tipper? Rock and Roll?

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I don't think the games "turn" anyone into a killer.
    However, if someone has killing in mind, the games along with their exceptionally real graphics I think can help desensitize an unstable person and essentially work as a training tool, in the same way that police and military can use simulators to help them be more effective.

used to play a LOT of 1st person shooter games back in the day... eg quake.
    also played some of the 1st GTAs.
    Have a newer CoD game that I played a little

haven't gamed for a long time, just no longer holds my interest...

-rvb

Last edited:

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    We get up in arms about those that don't know guns try to legislate them. Why would we encourage that behavior in other fields?

I agree that those people messed up enough to kill others are likely to play violent video games. However it's hard to tell them from the 10s of millions of kids and adults playing them without killing others.

I mean, what do you think they're gonna do, sit around watching My Little Pony pondering how nice everyone is?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I've stolen 1,077 cars in GTA Online.

I've never even pondered stealing one IRL.

Kills? 16,900+, same thing...

Games aren't reality and everyone sane knows that. I worry more about the internet forums where the line between reality and fiction is murky.

- JK, who might be computer generated script.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    From the replies I read. Every game player is totally responsible person.
    Then Every gun owner must be just as responsible.
    Every car owner is totally responsible drivers and would never drive the wrong way on an Expressway.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Every car owner is totally responsible drivers and would never drive the wrong way on an Expressway.

[STRIKE] Who said that?[/STRIKE] Strike that - I don't care to hear the explanation.

Why am I on the defense - you made the original statement, you back it up. Otherwise, I'll just know it's nothing but hot air.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville

So you’re equating a irresponsible few to the group as a whole? How about, people, are irresponsible, and their hobbies don’t have much influence on that.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    I agree, we should take violence out of movies and books too.. dont want anybody getting any ideas. :rolleyes:

The number of people who play violent games and murder compared to the number of people who play violent games and dont is an absurd ratio.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I've played all manner of violent video ganes from Barbarians on the C64, Wolfenstein and DOOM in DOS, GoldenEye on N64, numerous shooters on Windows, to GTA V and Vice City today... Never thought about goimg out and massacring people.

I think it's safe to say there are more people who play violent video games than there are people who own guns, if violent video games make people violent we know about it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom