fu846f.jpg

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Not to pile on, but was this a joke that fell flat?

Was it a presumption that this thread was about a firearm AD and just a knee-jerk reaction?

As to the incident, they were firing 3" mortars in that residential area? Ballsy. I assume the tube was still hot and he dropped it in...

Sad.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Really? This banter is getting real old. A firework exploded in the tube causing the problem. Guns weren't even involved.

Welcome to my ignore list.

This banter is not getting through apparently. Stop being stupid with firearms. Safe space is always an option but unproductive as you will not learn anything.

Yeah, no, it was a gun, it was a mortar. Not to put too fine a point on it, but guns are dangerous and they don't care about butt hurt.

Better butt hurt over dead. Don't point guns at yourself. That includes leaning over the gun so you get hit with the projectile. Got it?

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    This banter is not getting through apparently. Stop being stupid with firearms. Safe space is always an option but unproductive as you will not learn anything.

Yeah, no, it was a gun, it was a mortar. Not to put too fine a point on it, but guns are dangerous and they don't care about butt hurt.

Better butt hurt over dead. Don't point guns at yourself. That includes leaning over the gun so you get hit with the projectile. Got it?

STILL DISRESPECTFUL TO THE VICTIM AND HIS FAMILY!

GET IT!!!???

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    If you think the problem is that INGO doesn't want to hear the message, you're wrong.

Suggesting that anyone who's ever made a mistake (even a really dumb mistake) is an idiot, is also wrong, and it's really off-putting.

So, either way, it sounds more like you're being holier-than-thou than that you're interested in getting the safety message out.

I would think that a lawyer would be better at crafting his message in a way that it would be more palatable to folks.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Objection.

Lawyers often - more often than not, in my experience - have to deliver un-"palatable" messages. (Or maybe those just linger longer in the memory.)

"The jury found against you."

"The judge ruled the evidence doesn't come in ." (or does come in, whichever is worse)

"The invoice is due within 15 days."

If anything, when things are sugarcoated for interested parties, those things tend to get worse.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

You should've referenced Darwin, and then you would have been alright.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Objection.

Lawyers often - more often than not, in my experience - have to deliver un-"palatable" messages. (Or maybe those just linger longer in the memory.)

"The jury found against you."

"The judge ruled the evidence doesn't come in ." (or does come in, whichever is worse)

"The invoice is due within 15 days."

If anything, when things are sugarcoated for interested parties, those things tend to get worse.

OK, I'll allow it. I'll take back the lawyer part.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    First, my sincerest and deepest condolences to the families of the deceased and injured. I hope the injured victim pulls through well. INGO member or not I feel for them.

Now, meaning no disrespect to anyone, but Kirk does have a point. Around very dangerous things we can be extremely flip and careless/carefree.

Many years ago my buddy Jack invited me over for 4th of July fireworks. We had lots of friends, neighbors, fireworks, burgers, hot dogs, beer, cigars, etc. A great 4th! Jack has (now had) a tendency to be a bit, uh.... casual, around fireworks. We had the picnic table set up many yards from folks, but Jack had the box of fireworks (and there were many) right next to the table, along with many fireworks on the table.

"Jack," says I, "You think we should move the box away from the table? After all, we're going to be setting off a LOT of stuff tonight." "Nah," says he, "It'll be fine."

"Jack," I say again, "We have a LOT of stuff intermingled here. I'm not sure this is a good idea." "Don't worry," says he, "We'll keep an eye on everything."

"Dude," I repeat myself for a third time, "This really isn't a good idea. We have too much crap on the table and in the box right next to it." "Man," He says, "You worry too much. We'll be fine."

"OK, this is your house and your rules." Although I'm not happy everything goes well, for awhile...

Somewhere about a half hour in one of us (I forget who) says, "OH S**T!!!" "What?" "I dropped the match." A few seconds later I see SEVERAL lit fuses of things NOT aiming into the sky sparking toward their chemical goal.

"FIRE IN THE HOLE!" is the only thing I can think to yell as I run away. Some went up... some went into the woods, one or two went toward the street. One biggun' flew right into the crowd of people. Moses himself could not have parted that group of folks faster than they did themselves.

After determining that there were no more injuries... "Jack", Says I in a very calm tone, "I do believe we should move the fireworks away from the table until they're ready to be lit." "I agree," says he.

From that year forward we always follow my rule of a bucket of water right at the table, the fireworks waiting to be fired are far removed from the launch area, and we still have a fun time with much less drama.

Some may find the timing of Kirks post inappropriate, but it is far better to hear it now and pause to consider than it is to hear of one of our members suffering a tragic loss. Jack and I got LUCKY! We could have seriously hurt or killed someone. I didn't push harder and he thought I was being a pansy. Sometimes a painful moment is the best time for a learning moment. And it still remains painful.

Regards,

Doug

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    First, my sincerest and deepest condolences to the families of the deceased and injured. I hope the injured victim pulls through well. INGO member or not I feel for them.

Now, meaning no disrespect to anyone, but Kirk does have a point. Around very dangerous things we can be extremely flip and careless/carefree.

Many years ago my buddy Jack invited me over for 4th of July fireworks. We had lots of friends, neighbors, fireworks, burgers, hot dogs, beer, cigars, etc. A great 4th! Jack has (now had) a tendency to be a bit, uh.... casual, around fireworks. We had the picnic table set up many yards from folks, but Jack had the box of fireworks (and there were many) right next to the table, along with many fireworks on the table.

"Jack," says I, "You think we should move the box away from the table? After all, we're going to be setting off a LOT of stuff tonight." "Nah," says he, "It'll be fine."

"Jack," I say again, "We have a LOT of stuff intermingled here. I'm not sure this is a good idea." "Don't worry," says he, "We'll keep an eye on everything."

"Dude," I repeat myself for a third time, "This really isn't a good idea. We have too much crap on the table and in the box right next to it." "Man," He says, "You worry too much. We'll be fine."

"OK, this is your house and your rules." Although I'm not happy everything goes well, for awhile...

Somewhere about a half hour in one of us (I forget who) says, "OH S**T!!!" "What?" "I dropped the match." A few seconds later I see SEVERAL lit fuses of things NOT aiming into the sky sparking toward their chemical goal.

"FIRE IN THE HOLE!" is the only thing I can think to yell as I run away. Some went up... some went into the woods, one or two went toward the street. One biggun' flew right into the crowd of people. Moses himself could not have parted that group of folks faster than they did themselves.

After determining that there were no more injuries... "Jack", Says I in a very calm tone, "I do believe we should move the fireworks away from the table until they're ready to be lit." "I agree," says he.

From that year forward we always follow my rule of a bucket of water right at the table, the fireworks waiting to be fired are far removed from the launch area, and we still have a fun time with much less drama.

Some may find the timing of Kirks post inappropriate, but it is far better to hear it now and pause to consider than it is to hear of one of our members suffering a tragic loss. Jack and I got LUCKY! We could have seriously hurt or killed someone. I didn't push harder and he thought I was being a pansy. Sometimes a painful moment is the best time for a learning moment. And it still remains painful.

Regards,

Doug

Same situation happened at a neighborhood gathering I attended one year, we too were fortunate in that nobody was injured. As adults dove to cover several small children in the area we could hear the kids crying because they missed the big "BOOMS".

Top Bottom