Anyone use American Home Sheld or the like?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Anyone use one of the “home warranty” type places (First American Home Warranty/American Home Sheld/etc.) that cover stuff like HVAC, plumbing, major appliances?

If so, care to share your experiences? Ever had to make a claim? Any issues?

We have an older house, with a fairly old HVAC system. Considering one of these plans for when it finally kicks the bucket. Really could have used it last year when we had a leaking water main.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Most of those warranty services require you to use their contractors. It may take them days to respond also. For the money they charge ie $500 per year, imho u are better served putting that money back for when it dies, and then you can choose your own reputable service to install the new. CM is thousands cheaper than the companies you will get thru the warranty.

My guess is that they would try to fix the 20 year old unit, rather than the more appropriate replace it because it costs them less.

I sold those warranties in a previous life fwiw. It's piece of mind for people who can't budget for repairs on water heaters, roof leaks, etc. Rarely were units replaced. Always a bandaid, and you are out the deductible for a chitty repair that will need refixed more than likely.

Pyro

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 18, 2018
    Indy
    We have one with the house we just bought and my gut is it's a waste. One of my teammates paid his $500/yr warranty for 9-10 years before the heater went out. They replaced the heater for the $100 deductible BUT added another $200 to "fabricate a 2" frame" to make it fit. He still swears by them, I'm kinda Meh.

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    Don't bother. We got one from Americas Preferred Home Warranty with our last house and you have to bump up to their higher level plan to cover appliances. You could use any contractors, but their was a deductible for each visit before they would pay anything. So if you get a service call and it is below the deductible they pay nothing. if you appliance/AC/Plumbing is of a certain age (based on Nachi lifespans) they won't cover repairs/replacement because it is past the expected life span. They also pay out a max for certain individual repairs and for the year.

If we had to pay for it we would've broke even in the first year, but I would take the $500 and self insure.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    We have one with the house we just bought and my gut is it's a waste. One of my teammates paid his $500/yr warranty for 9-10 years before the heater went out. They replaced the heater for the $100 deductible BUT added another $200 to "fabricate a 2" frame" to make it fit. He still swears by them, I'm kinda Meh.

Got your 50 I guess, and without one-liners. Congrats

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My brother got one with his new to him house. Their refrigerator died with in a month and they wouldn't fix or replace it saying that it must have been broken before. He promptly had them refund the cost of the remaining warranty.

Top Bottom