• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Yeah, I turned 50 and it's my turn. They got me on this liquid diet and I am starving. So I googled if I could eat anything at all other than broth and came across an article that says patients in a study did better when they eat a little low fiber food that digests quickly. I read Mac & Cheese is ok, so I had me some. Very small amount, one of them little microwave cups. They claimed the patients were better prepared for the procedure after eating the night before than those on liquid. I sure hope it don't mess this up so I have to do it all again.

Any of you ever had a Dr who let you eat a little the night before? I am thinking my doc may just be an old turd(no pun intended) that is old school. Wondering if the younger guys agree with this study...or have any of you ever cheated the night before and eaten a little something?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    You should be able to go a night without eating. Yes, you will be hungry but you want to be totally empty. Once all the liquids kick in, you will get to a point that you can't get off the toilet. Eventually you will be pooping clear liquid. Once that's done, you are clean and ready.

The prep is worse than the procedure. Dig in and suffer through just like the rest of us did.

After your procedure, go out for an awesome breakfast! You did schedule your procedure as early in the morning as you could, right?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The prep and the hunger from going through it is why you schedule your procedure when you can get the first appointment of the day. But to answer your question, I followed the doctor's instructions to the letter. He said no food and no liquids with any color (IIRC) and that's what I did. I even went to bed early that night so I wouldn't sit there and think about how hungry I was.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    Any of you ever had a Dr who let you eat a little the night before?

NO.

I am thinking my doc may just be an old turd(no pun intended) that is old school.

Wrong.

So, you read one article on the net, and went against your doc's orders.

Have fun doing it twice.

If you had asked us first, you would have gotten the sound advice in post #5.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Have fun telling your doctor, what does he know. Can't go 12 hrs without food? Seriously? Yes I had mine few years back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    Absolutely follow Dr.'s directions. Luckily I have never had to have the procedure repeated. The old chute has been clean as a whistle every time.

I also have to have my esophagus stretched every 3-5 years because it gets to a point I can't swallow anything. The last time I had it stretched I was also due for my colonoscopy. The doctors were able to do both one after the other. I did hang a note around my neck with the following "Stretch this end only!" with an arrow pointing towards my head.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    It's at 8am. Daggone, now you guys have me worried about it. Guess I will pay the price if this don't work out (literally). Here is study I read... https://www.cbsnews.com/news/no-eating-rule-before-a-colonoscopy/

Honestly, I had done screwed up because I didn't know I wasnt suppose to have lettuce like a week before procedure and I had lettuce over the weekend. Reading instructions yesterday and seen that on the paper. Oh well...if it works it works, if not there is always next time. I got a feeling after this next jar of gatorade it's not gonna matter...as long as the macaroni gets out of my stomach in time.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    It's at 8am. Daggone, now you guys have me worried about it. Guess I will pay the price if this don't work out (literally). Here is study I read... https://www.cbsnews.com/news/no-eating-rule-before-a-colonoscopy/

Honestly, I had done screwed up because I didn't know I wasnt suppose to have lettuce like a week before procedure and I had lettuce over the weekend. Reading instructions yesterday and seen that on the paper. Oh well...if it works it works, if not there is always next time. I got a feeling after this next jar of gatorade it's not gonna matter...as long as the macaroni gets out of my stomach in time.
    Sounds like you need to go to White Castle for a cleanse!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    If they're like I remember my doctor's office, they'll ask you if you had anything to eat/followed their directions. I'd be honest with them and let them decide if they'll have to reschedule or not.

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru

I wouldn't go to far from home right now, saves embarrassment you know...:laugh:

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    The prep and the hunger from going through it is why you schedule your procedure when you can get the first appointment of the day. But to answer your question, I followed the doctor's instructions to the letter. He said no food and no liquids with any color (IIRC) and that's what I did. I even went to bed early that night so I wouldn't sit there and think about how hungry I was.

Bottle of clear vodka?

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    If your “liquid” poop is clear and can see thru it you should be fine.....Just follow docs instructions next time. I always laugh when my patients tell me about what they read on the ole interweb

Top Bottom