• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    I am remodeling what was a sunroom, and basically converting it to an addition. When it was used as a sunroom someone had ran a natural gas line through the wall into a heater that was mounted on the inside wall. Now that the room will be framed and insulated with good double pane windows, it will not need the heater.

I have been putting the last wall off due to this gas line, but I am at the point where this wall will be going up this weekend.

I have done reading, watched youtube videos, and talked to a few people that I believe have the proper knowledge. Am I wrong in thinking that this is super simple and nothing to be intimidated by?

Shut off the main valve, determine where to cap the line, use the double wrench method to take the pipe out at the nearest joint, install a plug with the proper thread seal for natural gas, turn gas back on, re-light water heater pilot.

It seems pretty cut and dry to me, however my father, who is helping me with the remodel is someone who I would classify as "paranoid" when it comes to stepping out of his comfort zone. He keeps telling me to hire someone and that I shouldn't mess with gas lines, etc, etc, etc...

So, is it really as simple as it sounds or am I just over confident?

What says INGO

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Your process has pretty much nailed it. That’s what I would do if I needed to cap it off.

It seems very simple and straight forward to me, but his persistence that I not mess with it has me second-guessing myself.

91FXRS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    NWI
    It is super easy. Just remember always leak test your connection under pressure. Take out as many connections as you can that are not needed and cap it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Are you sure you do not need that heater. Is there a duct run into that room. Just asking. I have seen it far to many times folks will make a sun room an add on and not even consider heat/AC in it. Then they ask what is to be done. Depending on how many square feet they are adding it might be beyond the capacity of the existing equipment.

Or not.

Gas line pressure in the home is or should be 7.5"s of water column. Not much more then a baby blowing in your face. If it is LP it could be 11.5"s or just north of there. Still less than 1 PSI.
    Get some good thread dope and just cap it up. I use a lighter to test if I think it needs it.

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Are you sure you do not need that heater. Is there a duct run into that room. Just asking. I have seen it far to many times folks will make a sun room an add on and not even consider heat/AC in it. Then they ask what is to be done. Depending on how many square feet they are adding it might be beyond the capacity of the existing equipment.

Or not.

Gas line pressure in the home is or should be 7.5"s of water column. Not much more then a baby blowing in your face. If it is LP it could be 11.5"s or just north of there. Still less than 1 PSI.
    Get some good thread dope and just cap it up. I use a lighter to test if I think it needs it.

We installed a new sliding door in the doorway to/from this room. Its going to be used as more of a "4 seasons room". It wont rely on the HVAC of the rest of the house, it will be used when the weather is fair.
    43308111902_1a3b5f74ff_b.jpg
    [/URL]room by Jason Fedeler, on Flickr[/IMG]
    28YZoQw

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Or not.

:nailbite::runaway:

200.gif

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    You know it's very easy and I'm sure many of us on here are capable of doing the job correctly but when we had some gas line work we needed done on our house we outsourced it. In talking with the plumbers or whatever they were one of them made the comment "Why are you paying to have us do this when you are capable of doing it yourself?" My response was "So the estate has somebody to sue the hell out of if the house blows up as the result of a gas leak".:rockwoot:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

If that was the case, why doesn't my house explode when I use my gas stove? :dunno:

Until you get a large amount of gas mixed with a large amount of air, you're cool. And getting that much gas stinks to high heaven.

JFed85 - don't sweat it, it's not as scary as it sounds. CM talked me through it when I changed a valve in my kitchen, and I've done two gas water heaters... just dope it up, and get one of those overpriced spray bottles of leak detector to show your dad you're as good as any pro.

I imagine that CM would say that shutting off the main supply is optional.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If that was the case, why doesn't my house explode when I use my gas stove? :dunno:

Until you get a large amount of gas mixed with a large amount of air, you're cool. And getting that much gas stinks to high heaven.

JFed85 - don't sweat it, it's not as scary as it sounds. CM talked me through it when I changed a valve in my kitchen, and I've done two gas water heaters... just dope it up, and get one of those overpriced spray bottles of leak detector to show your dad you're as good as any pro.

I imagine that CM would say that shutting off the main supply is optional.

I was only kidding... I have actually capped a gas line in my house and it's still standing.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I capped the gas line when we removed the NG fireplace. Not a big deal.

Rather than cap it, run it to the exterior by your patio. Install a valve, and then cap it. Wait for the NG grills to go on sale at the end of the season. Uncap, install line to grill, and never run out of gas again.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We installed a new sliding door in the doorway to/from this room. Its going to be used as more of a "4 seasons room". It wont rely on the HVAC of the rest of the house, it will be used when the weather is fair.
    43308111902_1a3b5f74ff_b.jpg
    [/URL]room by Jason Fedeler, on Flickr[/IMG]
    28YZoQw

Looks like you have it covered. But I would have left the wall heater myself. Just me.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    "So the estate has somebody to sue the hell out of if the house blows up as the result of a gas leak"

I know one rural Ohio propane company that only had a $1mil insurance policy. And that had to pay out to the owners of nearby property damage AND the wrongful death settlement. Then minus the 33% the law firm required = not much left for the heirs.

$1mil in insurance coverage ain't much for a business in that kind of business IMO.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I know one rural Ohio propane company that only had a $1mil insurance policy. And that had to pay out to the owners of nearby property damage AND the wrongful death settlement. Then minus the 33% the law firm required = not much left for the heirs.

$1mil in insurance coverage ain't much for a business in that kind of business IMO.
    No kidding - IIRC, I have a $1M umbrella policy for my home and property; and there's no business.

As for home repairs to worry about, electricity ranks higher than natural gas.

Top Bottom