• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • inav8r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Pendleton
    I'm from the government and I'm here to help! EDIT: Well, I'm not from the gov't and apparently neither is this guy...

Seen trolling a parking lot this morning in Fishers. An unmarked car scanning license plate numbers...

Last edited:

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Unacceptable.

The parking garage I use for work they are on the beginning phases of lic plate readers "so they can match cars to access badges oncase there is an issue and they need to contact the owner"

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Not quite sure what the outrage is.

Oh, and in some places .gov hires private contractors to do the scanning and they transmit the info back to the bat cave.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Yep. I believe someone even has a channel on YouTube where they do this. I would not want that job.

i know a guy who works for a plastic surgeon in FL. He looks for women who didn't pay their augmentation bills. spends all day at the beach scanning for them. Well, I want to know him. Actually, that's my dream job.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    one step closer to minority report style ads.
    scan your eyes and infomercisls for you john doe.
    My wife would get SO tired of seeing ads that target me. Scan our plates, and my name would come up.

Always hated the idea of cameras for stuff like this. It reports on registration, not on driver.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    if u r super concern on this you can setup a shell corp.
    register the car to the shell.
    move your cellphone to the shell as well as that tracks you even more. now they will be tracking shell and not you under your name per say.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Not quite sure what the outrage is.

Oh, and in some places .gov hires private contractors to do the scanning and they transmit the info back to the bat cave.

But, but, you can't be using technology to do something completely legal and ethical 100x faster than a human with a pencil!!!

How dare they be efficient and prudent with our tax dollars in an effort to apprehend criminals and deadbeats!!

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Now I know, this scans the cars info and not necessarily the driver info but it's still not cool.

Scan my Jeep see it belongs to me, search my records, see I have an unpaid ticket. Send officer to pick me up.

Isn't that a bit agaisn tour 4th amendment.

(I don't have any unpaid tickets that's just an example.

It's. One of thier damn business. I'm also not of fsn of cops running plates durning traffic stops.

If I'm speeding that has nothing to do with the vehicle I'm in. Scan my plate if you suspect the car is stolen.

Much like officers who pull you over for speeding and take your gun to go run the numbers to see if it's stolen.

Not cool.

That why I plan to either build or buy a lic plate frame that will block the camera from reading my plate.

***Edit***
    Yes I know I went full tin foil hat with my rant. Esp since you can Google my lic number and get my address bc it's my ham radio lic

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Now I know, this scans the cars info and not necessarily the driver info but it's still not cool.

Scan my Jeep see it belongs to me, search my records, see I have an unpaid ticket. Send officer to pick me up.

Isn't that a bit agaisn tour 4th amendment.

(I don't have any unpaid tickets that's just an example.

It's. One of thier damn business. I'm also not of fsn of cops running plates durning traffic stops.

If I'm speeding that has nothing to do with the vehicle I'm in. Scan my plate if you suspect the car is stolen.

Much like officers who pull you over for speeding and take your gun to go run the numbers to see if it's stolen.

Not cool.

That why I plan to either build or buy a lic plate frame that will block the camera from reading my plate.

***Edit***
    Yes I know I went full tin foil hat with my rant. Esp since you can Google my lic number and get my address bc it's my ham radio lic

I agree and disagree. Not sure how I feel about this, as courts have ruled anything in public view is fine to record. But, scanning a plate that holds personal information should be a violation of the 4th. Wonder how this will end up, if ever challenged.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    So you know those private (repo) scanners are simply checking for a particular plate against a self-created database of plates they are looking for. They cannot access BMV info related to ownership. The Police LPRs (mostly) also check for hits against a database of parameters, they don't actually run each plate they scan. They log the plate # and location and search it against a database, that's it.

Top Bottom