• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I'm thinking of getting a new or near new pickup. It'll be an everyday driver and used for towing a travel trailer (maybe a 5th wheel). Is it worth losing the gas mileage to get a 4WD? Any accessories that should be considered a must for towing?

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Is it worth losing the gas mileage to get a 4WD?

IMO, Yes. not much loss, either.

and for a camper, 4wd can be nice just moving the trailer... eg a little incline and a little damp from dew can result in tires spinning in grass. maybe you won't be "stuck" but you may tear up your yard or the campground.

Any accessories that should be considered a must for towing?

If you get a bumper pull vs a 5th wheel, you should have a weight distributing hitch with sway control, unless it's a very small trailer. I use it for my 20' TT.

If it's not built in, you'll need an aftermarket brake controller.

tow mirrors.

if you're looking 5th wheel you'll want 3/4 or 1 ton. there are a few 1/2 tons w/ enough payload for a small 5thwheel, but why live on the edge? you may end up wanting airbags.

look at longer beds for 5th wheel. or make sure your hitch and trailer combo will give enough clearance.

depending on size of trailer, you may opt for diesel.

make sure you have a jack that can lift the trailer to put on a spare (many don't go high enough).

If I think of more I'll come back...... that's off the cuff...

-rvb

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    rvb nailed it. My '96 K1500 is right at its load rating with my 28' travel trailer. The sway control and load distributing hitch make it very manageable in less than ideal conditions. 4wd is a big plus, and probably saved my camper when the river flooded my site. :twocents:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    A fifth wheel makes it pretty much a dedicated tow rig, as they are a PITA to remove to use the bed as a bed. A gooseneck splits the difference, still puts the tow load in the bed but can be easily flipped to make the bed flat...but there's way more fifth wheel campers than goose neck campers out there. Bumper tow is self explanatory.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a truck without 4wd. There was a lengthy thread on the why and why not of it on INGO not terribly long ago, but the extra cost and whatever minimal fuel economy difference are well worth it to me. YMMV.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I have had both 2WD and 4WD pickups. It is now exclusively 4WD for me. Just too handy not to have. If I cared about economy, I wouldn't be buying a truck.

I don't tow a camper, but do pull an open-deck car hauler often enough. My preference to to NOT have a truck that is barely rated to tow the load. While TECHNICALLY I could tow with a pretty small 1500 series truck, I opted for a 2500 series. The difference in brakes alone is amazing. Tow mirrors, factory hitch, factory wiring, brake controller, trans and oil coolers, extra engine cooling, and extra fuel capacity are all part of that deal, too. I guess you can add most of that to any other truck. That said, there are some pretty heavy-duty 1500 series trucks out there now. The new Ram 1500 is actually rated as a 1-ton, with something like 12K towing. Amazing.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have had both 2WD and 4WD pickups. It is now exclusively 4WD for me. Just too handy not to have. If I cared about economy, I wouldn't be buying a truck.

I don't tow a camper, but do pull an open-deck car hauler often enough. My preference to to NOT have a truck that is barely rated to tow the load. While TECHNICALLY I could tow with a pretty small 1500 series truck, I opted for a 2500 series. The difference in brakes alone is amazing. Tow mirrors, factory hitch, factory wiring, brake controller, trans and oil coolers, extra engine cooling, and extra fuel capacity are all part of that deal, too. I guess you can add most of that to any other truck. That said, there are some pretty heavy-duty 1500 series trucks out there now. The new Ram 1500 is actually rated as a 1-ton, with something like 12K towing. Amazing.

I agree with this. We tow a 26' enclosed car trailer loaded down...we put 100lbs in a 50lb sack. Our trailer is a tag trailer (bumper tow/reciever hitch). Load levelers and sway control are must haves as well as a brake controller. Our to rig is and F250 super duty crew cab 4wd with both the off road package and the tow package. It pulls our trailer like it's not even there.
    If you ever plan to use the truck for more than a tow rig stay away from 5th wheel or gooseneck. Based on my experience it really isn't needed unless you plan to tow like a 35- 40ft trailer. But yes get 4wd its worth the small fuel mileage difference

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If you ever plan to use the truck for more than a tow rig stay away from 5th wheel or gooseneck.

Why stay away from a gooseneck? My F-250 had it, and there was a handle in the driver's side wheel well. Pull the handle, flip the goose neck ball upside down, release the handle, and you have a flat bed floor again. Takes 30 seconds, maybe, depending on how long it takes you to climb into the bed.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Not too many campers with goosenecks... though I think there may be some types of adapters (never had one, no direct experience)?

Depending on the size of the bed, may need a slider type of hitch vs a fixed ball to get full turning...

-rvb

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Not too many campers with goosenecks... though I think there may be some types of adapters (never had one, no direct experience)?

Depending on the size of the bed, may need a slider type of hitch vs a fixed ball to get full turning...

-rvb

Yeah, like I said it definitely limits your camper options...but it lets you use your bed for a bed. There are adapters, but I've never used one or know anything about them. I just used my truck like a truck more often than I used it as a tractor, so the gooseneck was perfect for me. I don't own a trailer or camper of any kind now and am back to a 1/2, though.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Like mentioned up thread, there was a lengthy thread generally on this topic not so long ago. Personally, I'll probably always have a 4WD. It's kind of like insurance or carrying an extra magazine -- it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

On another aspect, a local new car dealer gives the Lions Club here new trucks to pull our float in the various parades around here. The next to last week in June, they gave us a new F150. The next weekend they gave us a Ram 1/2 ton (1500?). Both were nicely equipped, 4WD, etc. The Ford had the Eco-Boost and the Ram had the Hemi. If I had to choose between those 2 trucks based on that day of pulling that float (a former tandem axle camper trailer), I'd give the nod to the Ford. It just seemed like the Ram was fighting the trailer much more than the Ford did. And I'm not sure if it was the truck difference or if it was me but it seemed like it was easier to back the trailer into our building with the Ford. I know it shouldn't seem like it ought to make any difference but there was that day they gave us the Ram.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    And another thing, and maybe somebody can quantify this but if you're pulling a heavier trailer, my friends have sworn a 3/4 ton truck makes a big difference too.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Thanks all. That is just the kind of info I was looking for. I plan on using the truck as a daily driver and once in a while tow a smaller sized travel trailer. I have a two-wheel drive truck now, but like me it is getting long in the tooth for towing, especially on long trips. Thought with a newer truck with towing package and small travel trailer that we might decide to make the long haul to Alaska and back some day. I'm sure I'll need those large outside mirrors, too. Now I have to wonder if they'll let me in Canada with the Remmy TAC 14? I know that prior paperwork would have to be submitted.

Sawmiller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2012
    Gooseneck adapters work very well.

having the hitch in the bed moves the weight forward for better weight distribution. You are also able to turn much sharper.

if you ever pull a gooseneck you will realize how nice they are

A gooseneck follows the truck tighter in turns.
    I think most gooseneck hitches are centered 2” in front of the rear axle

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Gas mileage can be a very minimal issue depending on what you buy. These newer 4x4 vehicles arent like the old days. They are making some very big strides.
    Like mentioned above though I wouldn't even buy a truck or SUV without 4x4.
    Just for ****s and giggles of you are a AAA member or maybe even if you arent I don't know, they have a gas mileage calculator on there. It's not perfect of coarse but it's pretty damn close. The difference between my wifes car (on their calculator) and my 4x4 to florida for in gas was only like $50 if I remember right. That's nothing for all you get with a 4x4. That of coarse isnt pulling a load.
    I didnt buy what I drive worrying about gas or I would have bought a Prius.
    I would deffinately get one with the factory tow package that has taransmission and engine cooling or whatever the official term is. Mine looks like a whole seperate radiator just for the tow package. Everything I've read from guys that know what they are talking about who actualy pull loads say it's a big plus.

Just having the peace of mind to be able to drive almost anywhere (depending on your vehicle type) with 4x4 is worth it. Maybe I never will but if I have to in an emergency I can while others wont

Last edited:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    used for towing a travel trailer (maybe a 5th wheel).

once in a while tow a smaller sized travel trailer.... small travel trailer that we might decide to make the long haul to Alaska and back some day

So big difference between a small TT and a 5th wheel. going to make a big difference in payload requirements for your truck...
    however... and I may be alone in this, any thing more than a pop-up or one of those small teardrop campers, I'd recommend a 3/4 ton. yes you may be capable of pulling whatever w/ a 1/2 ton, but the stability difference, the braking, etc. It will make for a much more enjoyable drive (especially if you are thinking something like Alaska) and a longer lasting truck. Think about keeping everything under control coming down the other side of the Rockies....

You have to be careful with that number. My ecoboost F-150 is rated for that too. Most of the time you are going to exceed the GVWR of the rear axle with that kind of load.

YES!

My TT is only about 24' ball to bumper, and only about 4500lb. I'm pushing the payload on my 1/2 ton with tongue weight, weight of hitch, the family, and stuff I put in the bed of the truck, eg firewood, coolers, bikes, etc. Sure the "tow rating" is like 11k lbs, but that assumes NOTHING in the truck but a 150lb driver, and isn't considering payload and tongue weight, just what it can move forward. I've been keeping my eye out for a 3/4 ton, but payments on my wife's vehicle are probably going to have to be done first....

And towing a TT is like towing a parachute. will make the motor and tranny work much harder than a flatbed with the equivalent weight of rocks piled on it.....

payload #s for any given vehicle can be found on a sticker in the driver's door frame. every truck is different depending on options added at the factory.

2c

-rvb

Last edited:
    Top Bottom