• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tetter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    United States
    I've been passively shopping for a truck, and I wanted to get an older body style. I like the looks of GM and Ford trucks from the 80s and 90s. We would occasionally use it for the family (me, wife, 1-2 kids in car seats), so my wife reasons that I should get a crew cab.

So, crew cab, older body style.

Also, if it's a sometime family vehicle, airbags would be a nice safety feature. From what I can l find online, airbags were in trucks starting in around 1995 for GM and 1992 for Ford.

It seems that for both Ford and GM trucks of older body styles, crew cabs were popular in 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks, and not in the 1/2 tons. Airbags were in the half tons, but not in the 3/4 tons and one tons.

Do these trucks exist? In newer models, there are plenty of trucks with both a crew cab and airbags. I just want to get one of the old body style ones. I understand that a vehicle from the 1990s is not exactly a classic.

If anyone has ideas or a similar truck I'd be pleased if you'd post pictures. I promise I won't badger you to sell it.

tl;dr: Edited to add: I think what I'm looking for is now narrowed to: older body style (I think pre-'97 for the 150s and pre-'99 for the 250s; pre-'99 K1500, or pre-'01 K2500), crew cab, airbags in the cab, and 4x4. I would slightly favor GM over Ford trucks. Please comment if there is something else I should be looking at that I haven't thought of.

Last edited:

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    For 94-97 F250s and F350s it was only drivers airbag.

For that same vintage, the 250s were short beds and the 350s were long beds in the crew cabs. I personally would avoid the 250 4x4s due to their front ends. Engine options are good, 351, 460, and the diesel. E4OD automatic or 5 speed manual

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FWP9MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    Not sure I would be worried about 25+ year old airbags. Most of the crew cabs were also long beds, which would be like driving a limousine.

tetter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    United States
    I have a '97 f150 xtra cab 4by4 with front air bags...

Great, post some pictures! Was that the older body style or the newer one?

For 94-97 F250s and F350s it was only drivers airbag.

For that same vintage, the 250s were short beds and the 350s were long beds in the crew cabs. I personally would avoid the 250 4x4s due to their front ends. Engine options are good, 351, 460, and the diesel. E4OD automatic or 5 speed manual

What's the issue with the front ends? I would be open to short or long bed trucks.

What specifically are you wanting in a OBS Ford? There are tons of them down here in central Florida.

Specifically: Older body style (I think pre-'97 for the 150s and pre-'99 for the 250s; pre-'99 K1500, or pre-'01 K2500), crew cab, airbags in the cab, and 4x4. I would slightly favor GM over Ford trucks. I should put this in the original post.

Wish you luck in your search. Finding something from that time period in really good shape with acceptable miles on it will be tough.

Thank you! I would certainly prefer low miles but I'm open to having drivetrain components and so forth rebuilt if necessary. Rust seems to be another significant factor in trucks of that era, at least in this area.

tetter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    United States
    Not sure I would be worried about 25+ year old airbags. Most of the crew cabs were also long beds, which would be like driving a limousine.

Is that because you think the airbags would be unreliable? I haven't driven a limousine, but I have driven a crew cab long bed. I think you're referring to the turning radius rather than the luxuriousness, correct?

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I do not have pictures of it, but we had a black 1999 GMC 3500 crew cab, long bed, 4X4 as one of our shop trucks. Nice looking truck, drove well. It had the 454 in it which did ok for pulling. We usually averaged 10 mpg empty. If we we pulling a trailer we got between 4 to 5 mpg.

I had the two front doors replaced due to rust. Oh, and all the brake lines rusted out too. Common problem for the 90's GM trucks from what I was told.

tetter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    United States
    I do not have pictures of it, but we had a black 1999 GMC 3500 crew cab, long bed, 4X4 as one of our shop trucks. Nice looking truck, drove well. It had the 454 in it which did ok for pulling. We usually averaged 10 mpg empty. If we we pulling a trailer we got between 4 to 5 mpg.

I had the two front doors replaced due to rust. Oh, and all the brake lines rusted out too. Common problem for the 90's GM trucks from what I was told.

...that's a lot of gas. Maybe I should look at half ton models. It didn't have air bags, right?

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I would be very skeptical of a 1/2 ton crew cab. That is getting to be a very long wheelbase with a smaller frame. Ford trucks with the TTB front end require you to keep everything in tip top shape or they have very poor ride, handling, and tire wear.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    Wish you luck in your search. Finding something from that time period in really good shape with acceptable miles on it will be tough.
    This.https://nashville.craigslist.org/se...0&nearbyArea=231&nearbyArea=377&auto_make_mod . I think you are looking for a needle in a haystack sorry to say.I go South,take a little vacation and bring something home every 2-3 years.Would a Bronco,Tahoe,Yukon or a Sequoia work if you had a trailer which can haul a piece of 4x8 plywood?They are plentiful here, reasonably priced and if local they are probably rust free.If you step up a few years a 4 door truck can be found here clean.Good luck on your hunt.

Last edited:

tetter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    United States
    I would be very skeptical of a 1/2 ton crew cab. That is getting to be a very long wheelbase with a smaller frame. Ford trucks with the TTB front end require you to keep everything in tip top shape or they have very poor ride, handling, and tire wear.

I'll watch out for front ends. What's TTB?
    1/2 ton crew cabs are super common now. They were just rare in the 80s and 90s. If it's short bed would you feel better about the frame?

tetter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    United States
    This.https://nashville.craigslist.org/se...0&nearbyArea=231&nearbyArea=377&auto_make_mod . I think you are looking for a needle in a haystack sorry to say.I go South,take a little vacation and bring something home every 2-3 years.Would a Bronco,Tahoe,Yukon or a Sequoia work if you had a trailer which can haul a piece of 4x8 plywood?They are plentiful here, reasonably priced and if local they are probably rust free.If you step up a few years a 4 door truck can be found here clean.Good luck on your hunt.

There's no urgency. I can search for the needle for a while. I think going south is a great idea--rust seems to be a problem here. Where do you usually go, Nashville?

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    There's no urgency. I can search for the needle for a while. I think going south is a great idea--rust seems to be a problem here. Where do you usually go, Nashville?
    If I have time, I will base in Nashville.If you are being specific,you will have to go wherever the truck is.If you are not in a hurry,keep watching and act fast.I usually get 3 or 4 lined up and that gives me a couple to fall back on.If you ever do it,pm me and I will give you some pointers.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Why all the love for a driver's side airbag? I have been driving a OSB Powerstroke all day today, the airbag is the least of my concerns.

Again if you are serious there are a ton of rust free clean OBS Ford's down here in central Florida.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Also common up through 04. Ask me how my wallet knows this....:)

Top Bottom