• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    It's happening again in my extended family.

Should I get involved or not? The elderly person appears to be convinced the abuser does care for her. Outside looking in, all the warning signs exist. Elderly person does not see it.

I'm leaning towards "I told you so and you all didn't stop it"

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana

Should I get involved or not? The elderly person appears to be convinced the abuser does care for her. Outside looking in, all the warning signs exist. Elderly person does not see it.

They never do, they want to believe that all people are good and honest. You should share your observations with the family members that are closest to being in charge of this person, and maybe give them contact info for elder abuse information. Depending on the individual person the elderly are subject to being misdirected and/or confused and this is often used against them. Currently going through a struggle with a relative; fear, embarrassment, guilt, confusion, and memory failure make it easy for others to take advantage of them, and it is difficult for us to overcome it.

FearAndLoathing

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2018
    Indianapolis
    It is very sad that people do this...Especially when it is to a family member.

Certain people in my family took advantage of my grandparents (financially) for years...Then when my grandfather died, they wanted everything that was his...Even though my grandma is still alive!

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Get involved!!! Get all the info you can, documentation, corroboration, etc. Then consult an attorney who works in the area of elder law ASAP before the assets are depleted. Even if it costs a small attorney consultation fee it is worth it to stop this type of elder abuse.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

You know from experience how it's going to go. If you're wrong, people will be pissed at you. If you're right, people will still be pissed at you, but you'll be doing what you know you need to do.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    My wife's uncle was in his mid 80's and could not live at home without someone checking in on him. They found a nice gal to look in on him and help with meals. they notice stuff was coming up missing. When question about it they found out she was asking for stuff and he was not in his right mine and giving her pretty much what ever he wanted. The next then you know they were married. She had a restraining ourder put on the family.

OMG, they had a hell of a hard time getting it annulled and her out of the house. Come to find out this wasn't the first time she had done this. If you have elderly in your family keep an eye on them if you love them. Look for sudden changes in mood. Missing items that have value etc.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Depending on what's going on, it could be criminal in nature.

Step in, even if it's a conversation with a LEO local to them or their area's senior services coordinator.

Top Bottom