Indianapolis proper: where are the nice parts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    I'm still learning the ropes here.

Had to go to the VA hospital for work and downtown for the 1/2 marathon recently (no I wasn't running).

I cruised through some of the hoods instead of jumping right on the interstate.

I know Carmel etc is nice, but where is the rich/nice part of Indianapolis proper?

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    Indy has some really strange pockets, but pretty much everything around Meridian St. From 96th down to around 42, and a few blocks on each side (east & West). There is also an area between 86th St and 73rd St around Williams Creek that has some very nice expensive houses.

Over on the East side there is a little lake around 56th & Allisonville, the houses on the lake are all very nice, and very expensive. Around that area though, not that great.

Then you have the area around Geist on the east side. Fall Creek heading up to 96th St, Sargent Road off of Fall Creek, Lantern in that area.

I know there are more pockets, I can't think of them right now though.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I'm still learning the ropes here.

Had to go to the VA hospital for work and downtown for the 1/2 marathon recently (no I wasn't running).

I cruised through some of the hoods instead of jumping right on the interstate.

I know Carmel etc is nice, but where is the rich/nice part of Indianapolis proper?

Personal opinion, the nice part of Indy starts about 35 miles outside the 465 loop.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Indy has some really strange pockets, but pretty much everything around Meridian St. From 96th down to around 42, and a few blocks on each side (east & West). There is also an area between 86th St and 73rd St around Williams Creek that has some very nice expensive houses.

Over on the East side there is a little lake around 56th & Allisonville, the houses on the lake are all very nice, and very expensive. Around that area though, not that great.

Then you have the area around Geist on the east side. Fall Creek heading up to 96th St, Sargent Road off of Fall Creek, Lantern in that area.

I know there are more pockets, I can't think of them right now though.

Duh. Trader's point area. (West side, 71st north to the county line, as far west as 465...) Speaking of, have you called your mother recently? :):

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Personal opinion, the nice part of Indy starts about 35 miles outside the 465 loop.

I think he means "nice" in a general sense, not "nice" as in "nice place to raise a family with your first cousin."

Thanks for your helpful comment, though. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    I know all cities have their bad parts.

In my limited experience in Indianapolis I've yet to find the good parts.

Sounds like the consensus here is there isn't a "good part of town" but good parts of town.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If "Indianapolis Proper" = an address that says Indianapolis then you can include most of Franklin Township on the southeast side outside the loop. If "Indianapolis Proper" = inside 465 then it's far more limited. As you said, good parts.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    All of the people that say there are no nice parts in Indy are the same ones that are too scared to visit Indy.

I've never understood this. I haven't been everywhere, but as far as mid-large sized US cities, Indy is a walk in the park.:dunno:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I've never understood this. I haven't been everywhere, but as far as mid-large sized US cities, Indy is a walk in the park.:dunno:

Yep. We're like 23rd most dangerous in the US. And that only accounts for a couple areas. The rest of the city is pretty safe*.

*So long as you arent known to law enforcement or on drugs. The number of shooting participants (either shooter or shoot-ee) with a criminal record is something like 90%.

Top Bottom