• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    Unfortunately my dad passed this Tuesday morning. He fought for along time but just had to much stacked up against him. I have 2 brothers and we surrounded him when he went peacefully. Obviously losing your dad is extremely difficult. He was a great dad, and even greater Papaw. His life was the grandkids. At every single sporting event, even after 4-5 hours of dialysis. So dedicated to the kids.

He was always helping others. In the Air Force he taught reading to the troops at Lackland AFB, during the Vietnam era. Growing up he volunteered many years at our local sports organization. I could go on but I wanted to show how even after his passing he is still helping people.

Probably the biggest one, 13 years ago when he was in excellent health he decided he would donate his body to science. Which he did. After he passed all the doctors and nurses stopped in to share there condolences and tell us how much they appreciated him donating his remains.

Next my brothers and I are not good at sitting still for to long. We are very sad but can't just sit still and do nothing. My father through all of this never went into assisted living or a nursing home. He got to live in his own home to the end. Having said that he had a 2300 square foot house and a lifetime of stuff. This man threw nothing away. Just a few weeks ago I installed a new light fixture in the kitchen. The screws from the orginal fixture I tried to sneak out and throw away. He came flying around on the mobility scooter and caught me.

My brothers and I decided considering his history we should donate everything. 4 Truck and trailer loads later, all the home furnishings were gone. We kept all the sentimental items. And one sweet lamp from the seventies. It's a pole lamp, floor to ceiling pole with 2 big oblong orange globes. Like I said, sweet!

He owned a truck also we knew the neighbor has had an eye on. Although we didn't give it to him we sold it and the basically new scooter lift for about a tenth of actual value. His daughter has a condition that she is in a electric wheelchair. He told me but it escapes me at this moment.

We also inherited 2 mobility scooters and a chair lift. A 3 weel inside modle, and a 4 weel off road type. As I stated before never missed kids sports. All these items will be donated to the VA.

It's hard losing my Dad, but knowing he is still helping people gives us some comfort.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Remember the time you had with him and always remind your kids about him. It is hard to go through, I've been there.

As long as you help people, his work will carry on through you.

Peace to your family.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    My condolences to your and your family.

Very generous of you and your family to give all those things away.It will help many people for sure.

Giving his body to science will also help train physicians and help many people for many years to come.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Condolences to your family. I lost my dad when I was in early 30's...I still miss him and it almost seems like he is still here, and it's been 16 years. The memories never go away.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Sorry for your loss, but very happy to hear of his giving spirit, and that there isn't any fighting for his belongings, etc.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Lord God, please welcome this man, a father, grandfather, mentor, and child of your love to your kingdom to sit at your right hand, extend your love to the loved ones now grieving so there pain may turn to joy as they cope with this loss, in you name we pray amen

My deepest condolences

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Thoughts and prayers to you and all friends and family. Never an easy thing. Just hold onto all those great memories and in times of sadness look back on those memories

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Adding my prayers for your family. It sounds like he was quite a special man, and bless you all for donating his things to others who can use them. What a wonderful tribute to him.

I help an elderly neighbor a few days a week, and her husband also donated his body after he passed. He had fought cancer for 15 years prior to passing and always felt that his donation may help to prevent others from dying from that awful disease. It was comforting to this widow to know that he was still helping others even after he was gone.

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    Thanks to everyone, sincerely appreciated. 3 brothers, Dad and Mom.

We all carried blue Bic pins. Gordon (our Dad) always had a blue Bic pin.

2emigs8.jpg

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    I am sorry for your loss but it sounds like he was a great dad and a great father. You boys would make him proud of what you have done for others. God bless your family and peace to you all.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for sharing your loss.
    Processing it can be very helpful.
    Your Dad passing with everyone there is a precious thing.
    I'm sure you spent time with him those last few weeks and everything that needed to be said, was said,
    but, if not verbalized, was understood.
    I had a "nomadic" type of upbringing and I envy your healthy relationship with your Dad and the memories: painful now knowing he is gone,
    but will continue to be precious to you.

Top Bottom