• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Anybody know anything about safes? I need to get a fire safe for keeping documents in my house. I would like it to be a safe and not just a fire resistant box as well.

From what I've read:

• Get something that's also waterproof since if you have a fire, the fire department is likely to douse your stuff in water too
    • Get something that can bolt to the floor AND maintain it's waterproof and fire ratings
    • Get something that doesn't have any electronics (mechanical locks only)

I don't want to spend more than $200, and I don't need anything very large (it's not holding guns, mostly tax documents, birth certificates, etc...).

From everything I've looked at, this is the only thing that meets my needs:
    First Alert 2087f-bd
    https://www.firstalertstore.com/sto...-down-safe-ready-seal-technology-2087f-bd.htm
    • Pry-resistant concealed hinges.
    • 4 live locking door bolts - bolts both sides of the door, so it doesn't rely on the hinges.
    • Waterproof even when fully submerged.
    • UL classified for 1 hour to withstand an external temperature of 1700 Degrees Fahrenheit while maintaining an internal temperature of less than 350 Degrees Fahrenheit.\
    • Can be bolted to the floor for extra security and remain waterproof and fire resistant with the warranty completely intact.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I put a small fireproof safe on the top shelf of my fireproof gun safe for important documents. I figure the "doubling up" is as good as I'm likely to get.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Ask for input on a $200 max safe to store some files.....get recommended a $1260 safe.

Standard INGO :ingo:

Apply your standards of AR rifles to "safes". There are super crappy low end budget $200 "safes", and then there are REAL safes that start around $1300.

Bank boxes will come in several sizes. The smallest will probably be under $25/year. Stop in your local branch and inquire. You will probably have different/lower rates if you're a customer at that particular bank.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Im going to check into a bank box. Seems like the best option.

Apply your standards of AR rifles to "safes". There are super crappy low end budget $200 "safes", and then there are REAL safes that start around $1300.

Bank boxes will come in several sizes. The smallest will probably be under $25/year. Stop in your local branch and inquire. You will probably have different/lower rates if you're a customer at that particular bank.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Huh.....I have not. But now I am. What’s the going rate normally?
    Few bucks a year, and the added value of another place to store an emergency firearm for those just in case moments.(just don’t tell’em what you’re putting in there, since they frown on cash and guns in particular).

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    If you ever come back to the idea of buying a fireproof safe for the home, remember that it doesn't protect versus heat. While outside the safe can slam up to 1,200 degrees fast, the inside of the safe can remain a "cooler" 300 degrees. That is still hot enough to melt plastic. So don't store any special documents in, near, or under anything plastic in the entire safe. A passport covered in gooey, now hardened, plastic is just as useless as if it had been burned.

Regards,

Doug

PS - Think about that with a bank box as well. Banks can burn just like a house can.

Top Bottom