• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    My daughter has just informed me that she thought about joining the Army.
    She will be 15 in September and because of my bad divorce, I only get her partly through the summer and maybe Christmas at times. (depending on the Xs mood) Last year, out of nowhere, she said she wanted to be a nurse in the Navy. (thought that was very specific) So she's definitely been showing some interest in serving at some capacity.

I would like some advice from those more informed of where I can get some REAL information for her. I thought about visiting a local recruiting office but wasn't sure because I hear they are just salesmen. She would love to talk with a female that's serving or has served. How would I go about doing that? She knows her future with college is very limited where she's at with our situation so she's planning the future now.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks INGO! :rockwoot:

Last edited:

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Nursing in the navy requires a bachelor's, and they likely won't sign if they know there is no schooling already. Navy are sneaky bastards. I almost signed in 06 when I graduated, 10k wasn't enough to get me on a boat for a year.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Convince your daughter to join the Air Force. Good luck.

^^^THIS^^^ KellyinAvon, SMSgt, USAF (Retired)

With that said, nothing wrong with the medical world. Nursing Corps requires 4-year BSN (they are officers after all). There are a lot of other medical fields than Nursing as well. Medical Officers/JAGs all go to "salute school" down at Maxwell AFB. It's called that for a reason...

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

This was the counseling I gave my oldest daughter. I based it not on personal service but on being an Army brat till the day I went out on my own and having lived on military bases from every branch of the service. I've even lived next door to Coasties!!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If she still wants to be a nurse, she should look into a college with a nursing school and ROTC. Full 4 year scholarships are available for anyone going ROTC, but are competitive and nursing students have a higher chance of winning them because of the need for nurses. And as for what branch, I’m partial to the Army, but whatever she prefers.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Don't leave out the option of say the Air National Guard. Part time gig, some deployments, paid college while you serve. https://www.goang.com/locations/indiana

With the current deployment rates she could probably work as little or as much as she wanted. She could have a civilian job, do the weekend a month and two weeks unit training, go to college full or part time. Or, she could be a 'Guard Bum' and volunteer for every deployment under the sun in her career field. If she gets a job in IT or some other relevant civilian field she will also gain valuable experience.

I started in the Army for one tour and switched to the AF, did Navy cross training...I second the other recommendations for the air service. Only so much of sleeping in the field or living on a boat is fun. Possibly better yet...Space Command.

I wish her the best of luck.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    The thing about talking to a recruiter, from any branch, is that they are motivated to get a young person to commit. They will tell them that if they enlist to become a corpsman/medic that they can complete their requirements to become a nurse while serving. This is entirely possible but it requires a level of dedication that few people really have. They would be working a full time job, including duty days/weekends, deployments, etc. and trying to also fulfill the requirements of a four year degree. That's pretty tough. Can it be done? Sure. What's the likelihood? Slim. So, when talking to a recruiter don't let them sell her on what might be possible. She should only agree to a firm commitment in writing.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    The thing about talking to a recruiter, from any branch, is that they are motivated to get a young person to commit. They will tell them that if they enlist to become a corpsman/medic that they can complete their requirements to become a nurse while serving. This is entirely possible but it requires a level of dedication that few people really have. They would be working a full time job, including duty days/weekends, deployments, etc. and trying to also fulfill the requirements of a four year degree. That's pretty tough. Can it be done? Sure. What's the likelihood? Slim. So, when talking to a recruiter don't let them sell her on what might be possible. She should only agree to a firm commitment in writing.

If you get it into your contract upon signing up, then the only thing to hold a recruit up will be the recruit themselves. One can even get an opportunity for SEAL school in the contract. But passing is up to the individual.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne

This right here, no other comments needed. :)

I often tell parents take them to the nearest Army National Guard Armory, find out when the next drill weekend is and go. This can give them more of an idea what they may be getting into. Drop them off on Friday and pick them up Sunday and hopefully they like to run.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    If it were my daughter, I'd try to guide her towards making damn sure it's in her contract that she's going to get her BSN and not end up in general service. Optimally, I'd guide her towards not going the .mil route, but that's up to you/her.

My cousin just signed up for the Navy thinking she's going to be a navy nurse straight out of highschool (and not with good grades or anything showing that she's even remotely smart). I asked her about her contract and how she planned to get her BSN. She stood there like a deer in the headlights. She's ****ed. But she was always a dumb ass. Maybe she'll get straightened out in the .mil.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Air Force eh? Interesting......

Well, she does enjoy fine dining with steak and lobster so she should fit right in there. :):
    Never considered AF but OK. I do now.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You know your child better than any of us. Ultimately what branch someone picks is a personal decision, pushing them into something they didn't choose and then eating a multi-year commitment is a mistake, IMO. Have her talk to recent vets/active duty folks in each of the branches so she's got all the facts and and can make an informed decision...but it will be her decision.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Air Force eh? Interesting......

Well, she does enjoy fine dining with steak and lobster so she should fit right in there. :):
    Never considered AF but OK. I do now.
    The Air Force is going to sell itself to her. Provide her with the info.
    BBI is right that in the end it is her choice because it is her life and a serious commitment for several years but in reality it is also very real choices that could effect her for life not just in regards to career choice. Also anytime you put on the uniform to serve your country you are putting your life on the line. She needs to be FULLY aware of the consequences good and bad as well as that her life and goals will come second, before she makes it and takes the oath of service.
    Deffinately have her talk to veterans of each branch before recruiters. Recruiters are like used car salesmen, they have a job to do.

Last edited:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I am retired Air Force, but I retired some years ago (2005 to be exact) so my info as to what the USAF is like is a bit dated. To find out what the services are currently like, find some airmen/marines/soldiers/sailors and talk to them about what it is like now. If she is still gung ho, and especially if she has a specific objective (like being a nurse, which all the services have), then go to the recruiters because they will have the information on how to make it happen. I don't know where you live in Indiana, but if you start poking around and asking among relatives and co-workers you'll probably find some sons/daughters home on leave. Maybe the recruiters can arrange for you and her to meet with some non-recruiting service personnel to talk about what it's like.

In the meant time tell her to keep her nose clean. It's much easier to get a recruiter to do stuff for you if you make it easier for him by not dragging along a criminal record behind you, even if it is small time juvenile stuff. Good grades and solid attendance record are good too, for any job, not just the military.

Best wishes to her!

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

IED.jpg

Top Bottom