Indiana's proposed solution to protect schools? Hand-held metal detectors.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hexlobular

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    SWI
    It seems that although the Superintendent is appreciative of them, he also has no idea of how to implement them, either. I doubt the schools have a budget to hire employees to use them, so they'll probably wind up sitting on a shelf collecting dust. Walk-through detectors would make more sense, but again, who monitors them? If 50 kids get off the bus and go into the school at once, there may be 20 alerts just from phones and belt buckles. Difficult situation, especially when schools have so many entrances/exits.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Metal detectors do NOTHING. Doesn't matter if it's walk through or wand. If you set them sensitive enough to find a Glock, they'll go off for everyone wearing a belt, keys, buttons, etc... If you set them less sensitive, they won't do any good. Worthless feel good crap.

What, are they going to ask someone carrying a rifle in to stop and be wanded? Garbage procedure change for feels that won't do a damn thing.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Metal detectors do NOTHING. Doesn't matter if it's walk through or wand. If you set them sensitive enough to find a Glock, they'll go off for everyone wearing a belt, keys, buttons, etc... If you set them less sensitive, they won't do any good.

..well, that's why you remove keys and larger belt buckles prior to wanding/walking through. Buttons, lulz, no.

I suppose metal detectors are like anything else, there's junk and there's quality. Some folks know how to use them, others don't. The ones we used, and I've had used on me, at military installations and embassies seemed to work just fine.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Yup.....if you make people take off belts, phones, keys, etc...
    But seriously, you think they're going to or should do that for all of the kids going into school? There's no way. Kids would have to get there an hour early to get into class on time.

..well, that's why you remove keys and larger belt buckles prior to wanding/walking through. Buttons, lulz, no.

I suppose metal detectors are like anything else, there's junk and there's quality. Some folks know how to use them, others don't. The ones we used, and I've had used on me, at military installations and embassies seemed to work just fine.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Yup.....if you make people take off belts, phones, keys, etc...
    But seriously, you think they're going to or should do that for all of the kids going into school? There's no way. Kids would have to get there an hour early to get into class on time.

Will they? Doubt it. Could they? Easily. Students have a dress code. Banning metal buckles is no harder than mandating clear backpacks. They don't need to bring phones in anyway. Keys in backpack for those these carry keys. It's not like schools and metal detectors has never been done before.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Simple solution. Just wand each classroom in order. I’m sure a single person could get through even a large school by 3pm. THe problem is when they switch classes in middle and high school. At some point they could probably make a DOE pre-check where you can skip the wanding for a $75 quarterly fee

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Why? What's a dude with a wand going to do once he finds a kid with a gun that wants to shoot up the place?

Allow teachers who are so inclined to take training, get certified, and carry firearms. Harden entry points and allow doors to get truly locked down. Once kids are in for the morning, lock it all down. Entry/exit at one point only after lock down and have an armed guard checking people coming in after lock down.

There's your solution. This metal detector wand BS is just feel good crap.

Although keep in mind, once the school shooting thing is solved, active shooters will just move on to the next easy soft target GFZ.

Simple solution. Just wand each classroom in order. I’m sure a single person could get through even a large school by 3pm. THe problem is when they switch classes in middle and high school. At some point they could probably make a DOE pre-check where you can skip the wanding for a $75 quarterly fee

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Why? What's a dude with a wand going to do once he finds a kid with a gun that wants to shoot up the place?

Allow teachers who are so inclined to take training, get certified, and carry firearms. Harden entry points and allow doors to get truly locked down. Once kids are in for the morning, lock it all down. Entry/exit at one point only after lock down and have an armed guard checking people coming in after lock down.

Although keep in mind, once the school shooting thing is solved, active shooters will just move on to the next easy soft target GFZ.

I seem to remember the guy in Carmel took down a kid who was already shooting. I'd like to see the other countermeasures you mention put in place as well, but that doesn't eliminate the utility of metal detectors. Referring to Carmel again, that kid had a specific target. The presence of metal detectors might have been enough of a deterrent for him as he wasn't after just anyone, he was after a particular girl.

If they'll just move on depends on their motive. School shooters from within the school probably aren't going to go down to the mall or movie theater instead. Terrorists certainly could elect to.

Hexlobular

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    SWI

I've read/heard a lot of folks suggesting this; that campuses are too accessible, and all I can think about is, "what if there's a fire?".

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Aren't most fire exits (dedicated ones) locked from outside entry?

Our school was. Can go out but can’t come back in. We only had 2 doors that were unlocked from the outside during hours, our cafeteria entrance and the main entrance by the offices. We also had a cop that hung out in the school and parking lot almost every day, no curb stomping that I heard about. I know, I was disappointed also.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My perspective: this is a low-cost way to virtue-signal and throw the dogs a bone.

SEE! We DID something!

If our government wanted their schools to be "safe", they would be. If parents really feel the schools are unsafe, they wouldn't send their kids. Anything else is just noise.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Every door meant for egress must have an exit device installed. Most of them are the push bar style which allows the door to be locked from the outside, but allow people to open them from the inside.

The push bar exit device has ties to Indianapolis as they were first sold out of Vonnegut's Hardware store (Kurt's Dad). They have been around for nearly 115 years.

The inventor of the panic bar, and one of the largest manufacturers of them, Von Duprin, is on the east side of Indy.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Von_Duprin

All that said, they are easy to defeat if you have someone on the inside willing to open the door, or if a shooter props it open beforehand as was the case in the Aurora Colorado theater shooting.

Hexlobular

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    SWI
    Our school was. Can go out but can’t come back in. We only had 2 doors that were unlocked from the outside during hours, our cafeteria entrance and the main entrance by the offices. We also had a cop that hung out in the school and parking lot almost every day, no curb stomping that I heard about. I know, I was disappointed also.

Well, there ya go. I got learnt-up.

Top Bottom