Need help looking up my grandfathers service records...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 91FXRS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    NWI
    I lost my grandmother on July 9th and it has been rough, but I am trying to remember all the good that she has passed on to me. My grandfather passed 28 years ago and I am fortunate enough to have been able to talk with my grandmother about him. Her passing reminded my wife of something she told us to write down about his service records which is where I need your help INGO. She had us write down Sept. 23rd 1944, Jan 21 1946 destination AP, along with that what I think is his service ID?? one of them is seven letters and the other is eight numbers. My question is can you point me in the direction to understand what these mean, are these something I should be careful of sharing or is it public knowledge if someone wanted to search for it??

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Good luck with your search. Just to let you know, sadly, there was a huge fire in the 70's that destroyed a lot of WWII service records. The government may not have any record of him at all.

WWII serial numbers were 8 digits, all numbers, so that is certainly what the 8 numbers is.

The letters would be the Destination AP and would refer to where he was sent to. Example, if it includes ETO, that would refer to the European Theater of Operations. If you post the letters, we can probably decipher what they mean.

Top Bottom