• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    This vine has a strangle hold on one of my tree. Pictures of the tree, vine leafs, and vine below.

1) Is it hurting the tree?
    2) Will it give me a oak/ivy type rash?
    3) How do I kill it without hurting the tree?

All0lv5.jpg

uQHHVkK.jpg

W6CJ2Nw.jpg

Hexlobular

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    SWI
    This vine has a strangle hold on one of my tree. Pictures of the tree, vine leafs, and vine below.

1) Is it hurting the tree?
    2) Will it give me a oak/ivy type rash?
    3) How do I kill it without hurting the tree?

1. Yes, it's hurting the tree. Vines can strangle branches and steal sun from the tree.
    2. Yes, wear gloves or use tongs to pull the vines off.
    3. Dig or pull the vines up from the roots. Cutting them will allow them to come back again. I like to wait until late fall when everything goes dormant.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    1. Yes, it's hurting the tree. Vines can strangle branches and steal sun from the tree.
    2. Yes, wear gloves or use tongs to pull the vines off.
    3. Dig or pull the vines up from the roots. Cutting them will allow them to come back again. I like to wait until late fall when everything goes dormant.

So to confirm, is this poison ivy or poison oak or something else? I'm bad at plant identification, but I have some of this (at least leaves look similar) that seems to come up in some of the shrubs at my house. I've just yanked it out by hand as best I could, and haven't seen ill effects, but would like to confirm as well.

Appreciate it.

Hexlobular

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    SWI
    So to confirm, is this poison ivy or poison oak or something else? I'm bad at plant identification, but I have some of this (at least leaves look similar) that seems to come up in some of the shrubs at my house. I've just yanked it out by hand as best I could, and haven't seen ill effects, but would like to confirm as well.

Appreciate it.

It's poison ivy. We call it, "climbing poison ivy". I'm really allergic to it, and hate messing with it. Most of it comes from the back yard of an empty house next door. It will take over if you let it.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    That's poison ivy, cut the vine through down low and get some Tordon to apply to the stump of the vine above the root. Avoid getting it on the tree.

Hexlobular

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    SWI
    That's poison ivy, cut the vine through down low and get some Tordon to apply to the stump of the vine above the root. Avoid getting it on the tree.

Tordon; I had to Google that. I might have to give that a shot as well. Thanks!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

This. I've done it and eliminated (as far as I can tell) all of the poison ivy from my little woodsy area. After the vines died and dried out, I pulled them off the trees.

But then again, I am not at all allergic to it. I have benn in and through poison ivy many, many times in my life and have never had a reaction.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    One thing to note, when you dispose of it, throw it away. DO NOT BURN IT! The chemicals/oils that cause allergic reactions go airborne in the smoke. Nothing says "good times" like poison ivy rash in your lungs. (and possibly deadly)

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Yep, definitely poison ivy.
    ive got a vine as big around as my forearm that I’m afraid to touch. I’m highly allergic.
    I make a lap around my properties twice a year killing all that I find. I’ve been spraying the big vine every time but it is thriving. I’ll give Tordon a try.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...But then again, I am not at all allergic to it. I have benn in and through poison ivy many, many times in my life and have never had a reaction.

That can change. My mother wasn't allergic when she was young, then got it bad in her later years.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Yep, definitely poison ivy.
    ive got a vine as big around as my forearm that I’m afraid to touch. I’m highly allergic.
    I make a lap around my properties twice a year killing all that I find. I’ve been spraying the big vine every time but it is thriving. I’ll give Tordon a try.

Just know that Tordon is not most effective as a foliar application.

You need to cut the b*&tch and brush/spray the 'forearm' sized trunk of the vine with the blue liquid. It will make it 100% d-e-d dead.

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    That can change. My mother wasn't allergic when she was young, then got it bad in her later years.

Luckily it can go the other way as well. I was allergic as a child, but haven't got in in several years. I still try to avoid it, but am not near as worried about getting itchy.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Well aren't you just a little ray of sunshine...

Well you and I are about the same age, and if we haven't lost our immunity (or gained and allergy) to it, I think we're good to go.

The bad part of not having a reaction is you become the go-to guy when anyone sees poison ivy they need removed.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Thanks for the info. I also recommend tecnu extreme or like products. Scrubbed on within 4 hours of exposure it seems to prevent it as advertised. I used it yesterday after messing with the vine and no rash...and I'm pretty sensitive to poison ivy.

Thanks again

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Thanks for the info. I also recommend tecnu extreme or like products. Scrubbed on within 4 hours of exposure it seems to prevent it as advertised. I used it yesterday after messing with the vine and no rash...and I'm pretty sensitive to poison ivy.

Thanks again

Its anectdotal because you cant prove a negative, but Dawn dish soap works well too. Apply full strength to the exposed area immediately like a lotion, massaging it in. Wait 2 minutes and rinse clean, also rubbing gently. It supposedly strips the oil from the skin preventing a reaction. When my son was little (5?) he went strolling through a patch at Grandma's wearing shorts. I took him in the house immediately and did that trick. No reaction later. I know he is affected because he got into a little prior to that and broke out like crazy.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Its anectdotal because you cant prove a negative, but Dawn dish soap works well too. Apply full strength to the exposed area immediately like a lotion, massaging it in. Wait 2 minutes and rinse clean, also rubbing gently. It supposedly strips the oil from the skin preventing a reaction. When my son was little (5?) he went strolling through a patch at Grandma's wearing shorts. I took him in the house immediately and did that trick. No reaction later. I know he is affected because he got into a little prior to that and broke out like crazy.

Ha okay. 2nd example then. 8 had poison oak spreading and swelling all over my body in california. Showering made it worse because it was weeping oil and that would run and spread it the tecnu stopped the spread during showering. Better?:)

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I am not at all allergic to it. I have benn in and through poison ivy many, many times in my life and have never had a reaction.

This

Well aren't you just a little ray of sunshine...

And this

The bad part of not having a reaction is you become the go-to guy when anyone sees poison ivy they need removed.

This one especially at work

Top Bottom