• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Heard that this morning. We've been on that boat (not literally THAT one. They have several), on that lake.

They are actually fine in pretty bad weather, at least for a well-trained operator.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DUKW
    Winds up to 60 knots (110 km/h), rain, and heavy surf prevented conventional craft from rescuing the seven stranded Coast Guardsmen, but the DUKW had no trouble,[SUP][6][/SUP] and military opposition to the DUKW melted. The DUKW later proved its seaworthiness by crossing the English Channel.

Super sad, though. That is a big family attraction, and popular with the kids. Mine still has her "quacker".

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Yeah, no way I ride that boat down. You could see in the video they had time to abandon the ship. I mean when waves are going over the entire boat, it's time to prepare to vacate! This is a sad shame...didn't this happen a couple years ago at a different duck ride? Think I will pass on them adventures.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Prayers for the victims and their families.

I have friend-of-a-friend type connection with some of the people who were on that boat. Truly sad.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    The storm must have approached quickly while they were out on the water. No one in their right mind would take one of those out there while the water was that rough.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    My heart really aches for these families. To go from such an emotional high to the lowest of lows in an instant and be helpless.

There are lessons to be learned from this for the rest of us. Be aware always of your environment and how to save your life and those around you. Or avoid the situation all together. Just because someone else says its safe doesnt mean it is. You are responsible for your own life and family

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I've been caught out in both the fog AND a thunderstorm w/ hail on that lake. Back before hand-held devices that could track the weather via the Internet. I was a very scared young man both times.

This, though... This sucks.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I wonder if running with the waves would have helped. Those boats are not all that fast, but neither of the waves

It also seems they’re trying to make it back to the ramp rather than just get shallow and beach the thing. It seems like no one believed the boat could actually go down. Just awful.

Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    The storm must have approached quickly while they were out on the water. No one in their right mind would take one of those out there while the water was that rough.

There was an interview of s guy who asked for his money back and skipped it because he was nervous about the weather. Good call

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I believe they have plastic sheets that can come down on the side also for spray protection. If those were down it would’ve been pretty hard to get out.

I have been on ferries before and looked around wondering how I would get out if the boat flipped. Scary stuff.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah, no way I ride that boat down. You could see in the video they had time to abandon the ship. I mean when waves are going over the entire boat, it's time to prepare to vacate! This is a sad shame...didn't this happen a couple years ago at a different duck ride? Think I will pass on them adventures.

I believe there was an incident where the prop haft seals failed and the boat took on water really fast. Either pumps were not enough or they were not turned on...???

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dii6J7xWAAAfgwS.jpg

Top Bottom