Scam Alert: You owe taxes and if you don't call you will be taken into custody.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 307SD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2016
    Down by the river.
    I don't answer calls that I don't recognize the number, as do a lot of people. If it is a legitimate call, listen to my friendly "not able to answer right now message", leave a message and I will call you back.

Today I receive a call, unknown number (360 203 1829), I don't answer, and the message left, by automated voice is something to the effect that if I don't call the number back within 24 working hours I will be taken into custody by local police, and that there are more serious allegations pending.

Google retrieved this: Anonymous caller warns of local police arresting you about your taxes unless you call back soon | PolitiFact Texas

SCAM!

Anybody else get this??

Tried calling back .... was wanting some entertainment of a sort .... ala Bob and Tom maybe? BUT; .... YOUR CALL CANNOT BE COMPLETED AS DIALED!

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    My wife told me about an hour ago saying she got one of those calls. 516-303-8237. Googled the number, lotsa complaints about getting the same message.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    They were going to turn off my power in 15 minuets last week if I didn't pay via credit card immediately.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I tried calling your number: Something about this caller does not receive incoming calls. SCAM

Interesting. I called it just so I could growl at whatever human answered the phone, got tired of listening to the music play while on hold.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Printcraft without power that would be a SHTF situation.

Oh, yeah, it's bit of a hassle when everything doesn't work.
    I can still sweep up and get organized, do some filing, maybe mow the yard or something. Always something to do.

I didn't pay, luckily the power stayed on, I must have fallen through the cracks.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I tried calling your number: Something about this caller does not receive incoming calls. SCAM

That's not going to be effective for them.

Call within 24 hours or...
    Number doesn't accept calls.
    :n00b:

I wonder if the phone company cut that number off? All the outgoing calls could still have caller ID spoofed to read that number.

When I do free tax returns there's big posters: The IRS does not call and demand money.

Which makes the line of the 1040, "phone number" somewhat ironic.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    A work friend of mine (in another state) fell prey to this scam about two months ago and lost what I consider to be a lot of money. She is very smart, but the guy on the phone scared her so badly that she shut down and fell for it. He must have been very, very persuasive and/or his bag of tricks coincidentally pushed the right buttons in her brain. Once they have your money, unless you have the means to go to where they are and "recoup your losses," it's gone. Police can't help at that point.

As a bystander, I think the shame some victims feel afterward is worse than losing the money. It's hard for me to comprehend why people fall for these things, especially people I know. But then maybe I have not yet been tested on the same level.

I don't answer my phone unless I recognize who is calling.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    The only way I know these ding-dongs call me is if they leave a message for me to laugh at later.

I got fed up with the crap calls and switched the landline phone to "allow only", so unless they spoof a family member's phone, that is no longer a problem.

And I block every number I don't know that won't leave me a message on my cell, AND block the ones that leave ridiculous messages like those above.

Takes about 5 seconds to do, and they'll never call me from THAT number again. Though I really do get a good laugh at some of the messages before I block their numbers.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've wondered what happens to these people when they call the wrong number, like the NSA or an irritable mafiosi.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have gotten several of those calls. The really amusing ones have a Hindi accent. I did not know the IRS was out sourcing there telemarketing. But that's ok I just gave them my credit card info, np. But I would think sooner then later I'd have them paid off. But they keep bugging me.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I've got kind of a pen pal of sorts, that's a Nigerian prince. He owes me a lot of money, so I just forward the calls to him. It all seems to work out.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The only way I know these ding-dongs call me is if they leave a message for me to laugh at later.

I got fed up with the crap calls and switched the landline phone to "allow only", so unless they spoof a family member's phone, that is no longer a problem.

And I block every number I don't know that won't leave me a message on my cell, AND block the ones that leave ridiculous messages like those above.

Takes about 5 seconds to do, and they'll never call me from THAT number again. Though I really do get a good laugh at some of the messages before I block their numbers.

I block some of them too, but to be honest, since they are just spoofing, it will never do any good. That could be a real number that is someone else's that they are spoofing. They often pick your same are code and sometimes even the same prefix just to spam that set of numbers because people think it's a local call and answer.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Got one yesterday saying my computer had been compromised and that I needed to call them right away to prevent disastrous consequences. :rolleyes:

I got that too. I hit the button to continue and got to an Indian accented guy. I laughed and said he’s such an idiot and to stop stealing from people. He hung up on me immediately

Top Bottom