• ...and so much more!
  • mrproc1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Indy
    Hey Ya’ll.....
    I’m needing to sell an engagement ring and bands. I just had them appraised and cleaned by the jeweler (They won’t “buy them back”)
    I know I won’t be able to get what paid for them, or the appraised value.
    Does anyone know on where I can can sell them out right?

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I see them posted on Facebook for sale pages fairly often. I don't know how well they sell there, but that or Craigslist...maybe Ebay??

Pawn shops are NOT going to give you anything for them. When I got divorced, I tried to pawn mine to get enough money to buy a bed. For what they were offering, I would have had more satisfaction throwing them in the lake. In the end, I kept the set and had the stones made into a necklace and earrings for my daughter.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I used Craiglist. Diamonds are basically worthless once in a ring and most places just want the gold. You could sell the gold and have the diamonds put in something else.

After my divorce I sold the 600$ diamond ring for 300$ and bought myself a rifle.

No more crazy wife and new rifle to play with. Win-win.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Theres about a 400% markup in jewelry. So when people think they are getting a good deal buying jewelry, they arent, they are just getting less screwed. But that's just how it is.
    Selling your rings, you're going to get gold weight that's it. So the less you paid the jewelry store for diamonds or other stones the better off you will be.
    I used to buy a lot of gold jewelry before every tom dick and harry did it. Still have a lot of loose stones in baggies. Youd think diamonds and other precious stones are the most valuable but not really unless you have a buyer. Most peoples stones are chips. Not even real cut stones.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    All good advice. The most bang for your money is going to be Craigslist. If you get 60% of the appraisal you are doing great. Diamonds are a rip off. You can have a man made stone that is better and cheaper than a mined stone quality wise. The Gold is just worth its scrap value.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    All good advice. The most bang for your money is going to be Craigslist. If you get 60% of the appraisal you are doing great. Diamonds are a rip off. You can have a man made stone that is better and cheaper than a mined stone quality wise. The Gold is just worth its scrap value.

Gotta love the commercials for "rare chocolate diamonds". As I understand it, those "chocolate" diamonds are basically industrial grade, usually used for saw blades and whatnot.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Diamonds are not precious or even semi-precious gems. They are pretty gravel with a great marketing campaign.
    They are inconveniently located very deep but modern mining techniques can now access them. Russia has huge amounts of diamonds that they release slowly to avoid flooding the market.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Literally days ago I saw a story about how geologists found ~ a quadrillion tons of diamonds (deep) in the earth. Biggest marketing scam in history. I say use Craigslist but exercise serious caution. I like Mom45's idea too. Sorry it went south on you. :(

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Gotta love the commercials for "rare chocolate diamonds". As I understand it, those "chocolate" diamonds are basically industrial grade, usually used for saw blades and whatnot.

This is correct. I've got a buddy who works for a industrial grinding equipment manufacturer and we've discussed the "poop diamond" valuations in his context vs jewelry.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Hey Ya’ll.....
    I’m needing to sell an engagement ring and bands. I just had them appraised and cleaned by the jeweler (They won’t “buy them back”)
    Long shot and out of the box, but your church maybe? Post on the bulletin board might help someone out they get good deal you get to recoup some of your loss.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If folks really knew how badly they were being hosed when buying diamonds the market would collapse. There are more than enough stones in vaults right now to go the next 20 years with no replenishing. Complete scam and am so blessed my spouse knows it. Love her I really do.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If folks really knew how badly they were being hosed when buying diamonds the market would collapse. There are more than enough stones in vaults right now to go the next 20 years with no replenishing. Complete scam and am so blessed my spouse knows it. Love her I really do.

I think our wives are related. Thank God mine doesnt fall for the big diamond thing. She was happy with a bluish stone for an engagement ring she chose. Meant more because she picked it out (long story) and she actually liked the look, regardless of how precious the stone was.

She's rather I spend money on what matters... something that will make us happy, not some stupid rock that only vain people with screwed up priorities appreciate. (e.g. the chicks on the commercials fawning over a diamond ring)

Good luck on getting a decent price for your gold. Thats how I recovered my first set. Sold it for gold and applied that credit to our set.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Well yeah diamonds CAN be a scam but not all are. Clarity, cut, and color are important. It is possible to buy jewelry with a good diamond or diamonds and not get screwed but you need to know what you are doing or have someone with you that does and I'm not taking about walking into your local jewelry store. The best deals are not done at the chain stores. You need to have a connection somewhere for the good BIG stuff and not get screwed.
    Diamonds arent even the most expenssive stones nor are they rare at all. A huge diamond doesnt impress me nearly as much as a huge clear ruby or emerald especialy. And not man made clear

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I much prefer Facebook buy/sell groups because you (in theory) know who you are dealing with.

Give as much information as you can in the listing regarding type of metal, size of diamonds, color/cut/clarity of diamonds, etc. An alternative to that would be to give basic info and ask people to PM you for details. I would meet in a public place like a police station, and I always carry in these situations.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Hey Ya’ll.....
    There’s and Estate buyer in Brownsburg as well as a local jeweler that buys outright. The jeweler is on Main Street right at 267, and the estate buyer is farther east , just can’t remember names

Top Bottom