• ...and so much more!
  • Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    How effective is pepper spray?
    I've heard "one shot in the face and King Kong will go down for the count," "If you spray him, it will just make him mad," and everything in between.
    Does anyone have any real experience with it? Please share.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    How effective is pepper spray?
    I've heard "one shot in the face and King Kong will go down for the count," "If you spray him, it will just make him mad," and everything in between.
    Does anyone have any real experience with it? Please share.
    Would not be my first choice in defensive options.

Depends on the formulation, with regards to effectiveness. Also best be cognant of wind conditions.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Really depends what kind of pepper spray used. Different brands/ strengths, its measured in Schoville (prob wrong spelling) heat units. Basically it determines how hot the pepper concoction is. Some of it is serious nasty stuff. I am sure a current LEO can get more specific as it has been a long time since I worked for the Sheriffs dept

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    The effectiveness will depend on the brand and the model (tear gas or OC spray).
    It will also depend on the will to fight and the tenacity of the person you spray.

Someone who's just trying to steal a woman's purse who gets sprayed will probably just give up and run away after being sprayed.The pain is not worth the reward.

If someone is trying to kill you after spraying you then pepper spray will have little effect on you.You will keep fighting even if it hurts.

So it really depends.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Would not be my first choice in defensive options.

Depends on the formulation, with regards to effectiveness. Also best be cognant of wind conditions.

Well it could be your first option to deploy but then you better have second option if the less lethal-option doesn't stop the threat.

Pepper spray is only a good option for police officers because they also have a firearm.People know that the next step after being sprayed by a cop is being shot.

In some countries, like the UK, where pepper spray is the only option cops have then people don't react the same way.
    They will most likely keep fighting the officer since they know nothing worst is coming.
    You can see videos of guys sprayed multiple times who keep fighting the cops and only go on the ground when the "armed police" (with guns) show up.

It could be a good option to keep a dog away without having to shoot and kill someone's pet.Or dealing with the consequences of discharginh a firearm.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I was sprayed by accident while in the USAF. It was from one of the cannisters LEs carried on their belts. It made me extremely violent and strong. I do not recommend it.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Fox 5.3...5.3 million SHU. We used it for a while at the Sheriffs dept (before they were issued tasers). I have never seen it not work. Now that doesn't mean there aren't stories, I'm sure there are but every time I saw it in action it sucked the fight right out of people. If I was going to carry pepper spray that is the only one I would trust

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I got exposed to Freeze+P when I was at ILEA. Call me a ***** if you want, but it was the worst pain I’ve ever experience in my life. I’ve never used it on a person, but I have sprayed a ton of dogs with it. It’s been effective each time.

blacknwhite

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2016
    southwest
    I've been sprayed several times with several brands/types. It sucks for sure but you can fight through it. dependent on your pain tolerance you may have better or worse reactions. After being sprayed and lit up with a taser, give me 2 cycles from a taser over 1 spray.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Another vote for Fox. I carry it as an alternative when I cant carry my pistol. (at work for instance) Not my first choice, but its better than nothing.

Two things to remember:
    1: Its not instant. It can take a few seconds for full effect.
    2: After applying a good dose of "Vitamin P" to your attacker, MOVE! Do not stay where you were when you sprayed them. If they do decide to try to fight through the pain and continue the attack blindly, dont give them an easy target by standing where they last saw you. Make them find you again. (good advice for any situation where you are managing an unknown contact that cant see you)

Also I would recommend getting a snootfull just once. There is a good chance you may catch some of what you dish out, so you will want to know what to expect so you arent freaking out due to the surprise.

And it doesnt take much. I removed the brand new dispenser from the factory tube and put it in my pocket. A few minutes later I itched my eye and HOLY CRAP THE BURN!!!!! Apparently there was the faintest residue on the unit from the factory (I couldnt even feel it), and I accidentally applied it to my eyeball. Wowee! After rinsing my eye I was fine about 10 minutes later but damn.

Also research the various forms and patterns of it, and understand the application if each. (gel, stream, fog, etc) Like a firearm, there are several types, each with its own application.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Roll the dice. How dedicated is the bad guy? How hot is it? Is it raining? Windy? Is he drunk? How are his sinuses? How good a hit did you get? How close are you? How long can you wait for it to take effect?

I've been sprayed a lot. It sucks, but it's never made me roll around on the ground and cry. Blurred vision and pain is something you can fight through if you want to. And if I get ahold of you and we grapple, now you're getting it as well. When I was the "training dummy" for a self-defense for women class I'd let them do a Tueller drill with me with their OC. I'd start 7y away, they started with their hand on their spray but couldn't pull until I started to move. Few got a good hit on me, hitting me in the chest or abdomen. Even the ones who got me in the face, I was on them before I felt it. The only ones who "escaped" just ran and were faster than me. (Once I touched them, the drill was over). Getting sprayed in the Academy sucked, but again, you can push through it.

For me, OC is a compliance tool. Do this or you'll get sprayed. It's not a weapon for "stop attacking me or I'll spray you". Too random, too slow, and EVERYBODY gets it. If you can spray, get a good hit, then RUN, that's it's best use.

blacknwhite

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2016
    southwest
    Roll the dice. How dedicated is the bad guy? How hot is it? Is it raining? Windy? Is he drunk? How are his sinuses? How good a hit did you get? How close are you? How long can you wait for it to take effect?

I've been sprayed a lot. It sucks, but it's never made me roll around on the ground and cry. Blurred vision and pain is something you can fight through if you want to. And if I get ahold of you and we grapple, now you're getting it as well. When I was the "training dummy" for a self-defense for women class I'd let them do a Tueller drill with me with their OC. I'd start 7y away, they started with their hand on their spray but couldn't pull until I started to move. Few got a good hit on me, hitting me in the chest or abdomen. Even the ones who got me in the face, I was on them before I felt it. The only ones who "escaped" just ran and were faster than me. (Once I touched them, the drill was over). Getting sprayed in the Academy sucked, but again, you can push through it.

For me, OC is a compliance tool. Do this or you'll get sprayed. It's not a weapon for "stop attacking me or I'll spray you". Too random, too slow, and EVERYBODY gets it. If you can spray, get a good hit, then RUN, that's it's best use.

This sums it up perfectly

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Found this video to be disturbing, and entertaining, and educational, all at the same time. Quite confusing.

https://youtu.be/-YmTdMW9uSQ

Same. Cant say I'm a fan of the takedown. I dont expect a polite tap on the shoulder and a formal invitation to get on his knees. But pulling him backwards by his hair, slamming him to the ground?

I personally was disturbed at the end its hard to hear, but was he telling the media to get back to the designated media area? Or was he declaring that spot a designated media area and everyone else had to leave?

But that sure did slow him down and make him stop and consider his next step. It wasnt crying and wailing and gnashing of teeth, but it did its job. He wasnt kicking anyone's butt as his original intentions appeared to be. :):

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan

This.

Top Bottom