• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    So I've been wanting to lose some weight. I really started putting it on after quitting a 14 year chewing tobacco addiction. I wouldn't eat when I had a dip in, and I always had a dip in, even at night while sleeping. I quit cold turkey because I was to lazy to hop in the car and drive spend 30minutes on a roundtrip to pick up a can and just went with it. Well then I had an itch to scratch now that there wasn't a dip in my lip. Eating became a problem and now I'm thinking that I've only replaced the addiction. I want to be able to keep up with my daughter, teach her to waterski, and all that fun stuff that fat people just have a lot of trouble doing.

I have tried and failed to many diets. So recently I just took a cold turkey stand and started a 5:2 diet, and I feel amazing. I jump started with an entire 24hr fast. Even shot a steel match towards the end of the 24hrs and felt amazing. My energy levels are through the roof, my belt tightened a hole in the first week. I am not going to get on a scale, it's not about the weight as much as it is about fitting the clothes I like to wear, and feeling better everyday. I cannot explain the energy gains, maybe all the trash I ate required all this spare energy to digest??

Here are the basics as I understand it.

2 nonconsecutive days I consume 2 300 calorie meals.
    the other 5 days are three meals as if not on a diet. (I've cut out fast food completely, eating only fresh foods, and I'm saying goodbye to red meat).

I've linked into the 16:8 as well
    I fast 16 hours everyday and eat in an 8 hour window.

I plan to cut out the 16:8 once I've gotten a couple inches off the old waistline. I find that i'm a person that needs immediate results in order to create a habit. So doubling up seems to be working great. I hope to keep seeing results, but more than seeing I hope to keep feeling the results. Getting the poison of fast food out is tough, it's an addiction i'll have to fight day by day just like tobacco.

Anyone else on the fasting bandwagon right now?

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    So many people search for a "diet." It's not so much about the diet as it is your lifestyle. Too many people go on diets, lose weight, tell everyone about their magic diet, and end up fat in another month. Staying fit long term is a lifestyle.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    So many people search for a "diet." It's not so much about the diet as it is your lifestyle. Too many people go on diets, lose weight, tell everyone about their magic diet, and end up fat in another month. Staying fit long term is a lifestyle.

This ^^^^. Good start Mr. Green and periodic fasting can do a lot of good things physiology wise. But the key is developing the lifestyle. It is very rare that a person can deny themselves what they want forever. So what needs to happen is the reprogramming of those "wants".

I used to want carrot cake and chocolate brownies. Now I don't even like the taste of sweets.

I used to like pop. But now I don't like the taste of it.

Pick items that you know are bad for you and systematically eliminate them. Replace them with healthy items. And no, diet pop is not a healthy alternative. It is actually worse.

Think about it; most people didn't like their first drink of beer. Or wine. Or bourbon. Or cigarettes and cigars. But after awhile they came to love imbibing. That works for all foods...except Brussels sprouts. I still can't eat those.:)

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Changing your diet is changing your lifestyle. If a diet works and cuts weight and the person fails to keep with it, it's not the diet that failed it's the person. People bash diets because of this "so and so failed doing it" as if that alone discredits dieting, and that is not the case. A person can relapse into unhealthy habits for any number of reasons, as with any addiction.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    My former partner does that keto stuff. It lasts 12-18 months, then he's off of it and the weight comes back. Whatever diet works for you has to be something that's sustainable long term. The 5:2 thing probably is. The eliminating carbs, I've yet to see anyone who stayed on that truly long term.

I've never semi-fasted like that. Actual fasting for Ramadan has inevitably lead to weight gain for me. The traditional sweets don't help, but it's tough to be reasonable with portions after a lengthy fast.

My most recent change is elimination of soda. I thought diet soda was fine since it's no calories or sugar, but research is building that artificial sweeteners trigger fat storage. My neck is healed and my knee is good enough, so I've started "running" again (15 minute mile, which is pathetic but a start) and have to find some long term eating plan that'll work for me. My cholesterol is still in the acceptable range, but just barely, and I've had to accept I'm not 20 (or 30) any more and can't ignore that stuff much longer.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    My former partner does that keto stuff. It lasts 12-18 months, then he's off of it and the weight comes back. Whatever diet works for you has to be something that's sustainable long term. The 5:2 thing probably is. The eliminating carbs, I've yet to see anyone who stayed on that truly long term.

I've never semi-fasted like that. Actual fasting for Ramadan has inevitably lead to weight gain for me. The traditional sweets don't help, but it's tough to be reasonable with portions after a lengthy fast.

My most recent change is elimination of soda. I thought diet soda was fine since it's no calories or sugar, but research is building that artificial sweeteners trigger fat storage. My neck is healed and my knee is good enough, so I've started "running" again (15 minute mile, which is pathetic but a start) and have to find some long term eating plan that'll work for me. My cholesterol is still in the acceptable range, but just barely, and I've had to accept I'm not 20 (or 30) any more and can't ignore that stuff much longer.
    I've been losing weight. Never easy. And yep, keeping off what you lose is hard. Especially if your exercise is limited. So far I've had to buy smaller pants so it's working. Most of it is mental I think. Holding yourself to it. My new years resolution was to lose 50 pounds. I've lost alittle over 30 as of now. Gained some back when I had a bad diet relapse so that's why I'm only at 30. I'll take it but the last 20 is going to be the hardest. I'm shooting for more. Right now I can only do water resistance exercise in a pool so it's slow going. And I'm not eating like a ****ing rabbit. Tried that, cant do it, I'm a meat eater, light on the potatoes :):
    Cholestoral, I take a pill for that :), it's high. Type 2 diabetes developed from not exercising and getting fat, not good. Finally under control. Diabetes is a real evil killer stripper ***** named tiffany.
    If you're running 15 minute miles yeah that sucks compared to the 20 somethings we were in the military but I'd kill for a 15 minute mile now. Keep it up man and you will live longer and be there for your family. That is honestly my motivation. If it wasnt for my family I would have just given up long ago.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Fasting will **** you up long term too. Going without food totaly or with very little food over time actualy changes your bodies chemical makeup. It's a fact. Your metabolism will slow. You will cram food and when your body gets it, it will store it in a bad way. You get fat.
    Anyone who's done this is military training or a religious reason whatever, you will notice putting on weight fast. That's why.
    I'm no doctor, and I do not know medical terminology but I know it's not good

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

I believe the various studies I have read about diet soda being worse for you. If you can kick the soda drinking completely, occasionally have a full sugar soda as a treat. And try to find one with actual sugar and not HFCS. They are out there.

I eat mostly Paleo. Have all my life. My weight has never fluctuated more than 10 Lbs since I was a freshman in college. I'm 57 now. I do eat carbs though(hence the "mostly") because despite all the bad press, they are good sources of energy if you are engaged in any kind of high intensity physical activity.

Don't discount running a 15 minute mile. It is still outrunning anyone sitting on a couch! And if you chip away at it in small doses, before you know it, it will be a 10 minute mile and that is getting pretty respectful. Especially for a cop.:): Just kidding.

I don't know how old you are but I know your not in your 20's or 30's as stated above, but try not to accept things in your physical body because you have seen the sun circle the earth more than your younger brethren. I have a saying: "Someday I won't be able to do this. Today is not that day."

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I believe the various studies I have read about diet soda being worse for you. If you can kick the soda drinking completely, occasionally have a full sugar soda as a treat. And try to find one with actual sugar and not HFCS. They are out there.

I honestly don't like most regular sodas. Too sweet. Real lemonade or something if I'm going to drink sugar. It's been amazingly easy to ditch soda. I think it was mostly a convenience thing. Bottled water in the fridge (and ooooh how I used to laugh at the concept of bottled water) has made it very simple.

Don't discount running a 15 minute mile. It is still outrunning anyone sitting on a couch! And if you chip away at it in small doses, before you know it, it will be a 10 minute mile and that is getting pretty respectful. Especially for a cop.:): Just kidding.

I don't know how old you are but I know your not in your 20's or 30's as stated above, but try not to accept things in your physical body because you have seen the sun circle the earth more than your younger brethren. I have a saying: "Someday I won't be able to do this. Today is not that day."

It's not the years so much as the miles. Cumulative injury in my knee and neck hold me back more than the fact I'm 40. What I've historically done is get to a respectable time/distance, then keep pushing until I injure myself and start back over. I'm setting upper limits for myself this time. No more than 2 miles at a 10 minute mile pace, no running on pavement, no running two days in a row. I really should get my bicycle back out and fix it up. I'm doing the same with weights. I might as well have barbie doll stickers on the ends and it's very tough to not compare today me with 20 years ago me.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    It's not the years so much as the miles. Cumulative injury in my knee and neck hold me back more than the fact I'm 40. What I've historically done is get to a respectable time/distance, then keep pushing until I injure myself and start back over. I'm setting upper limits for myself this time. No more than 2 miles at a 10 minute mile pace, no running on pavement, no running two days in a row. I really should get my bicycle back out and fix it up. I'm doing the same with weights. I might as well have barbie doll stickers on the ends and it's very tough to not compare today me with 20 years ago me.

This is a good attitude. The biggest difference I see between me and the youngsters in the gym is in recovery time. Recovery from workout to workout just takes longer. Injury? Even worse. We can't afford to be sidelined with injury if we can help it.

It takes a lot of discipline to reign oneself in and train to where we are at, go at our pace and not let the ego dictate a workout.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I am back in ketosis. Actually read “small” yesterday. Can smell my fruity pee again. Hoping to carve 10lb off quickly which should really help my running. Which should help my weight loss, which will help my running

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I've been trying Keto, REALLY hard to get to 30g net carbs per day. Mountain Dew is my weakness, and I hate coffee. Been drinking monster rehabs for 10 cal/can, but I caved and had a can of mountain dew today.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Interesting read.
    In my 20s I would lose 20#s every year to keep my weight down from 200#s to "kiss" 179#.
    I would do this by liquid fasting: sometimes just water and sometimes any liquids. (V-8 juice was me friend, and milk)
    I stopped since I just gained it back every year: one of life's stupidest mistakes.
    Kept the extra 20#s and gained 20#s more, then again, repeating that cycle to a high of #270, took decades since I didn't put on 20#s every year fortunately.
    And, I was very active with running, and weight lifting, so that kept the weight from going too crazy.
    Then I got old and worked 2-3 jobs (couldn't lose a pound/day like when younger)
    I fought to get my weight down below 230#s (this am being 227#).
    On a good day (after fasting) I can get it down to 220# temporarily, but it is a boost to my motivation.
    I'm fighting my battles in the 220s now instead of the 230s: every 10#s or "decade" had been difficult and I would mostly just talk about it and never get it done.
    I look forward to fighting my battle in the 210s but that is just talk, like for years fighting my battles in the 220s was, which I am doing now.
    I read research in my 20s about how fasting was good for the body in cleansing and repair and keeping it "young."
    For me, I must incorporate some type of fasting as a part of my "buffeting" the body and keeping myself under control.
    I sometimes will eat only supper for a daily meal once a week.
    Sometimes I will eat nothing for a day once a month (would like to do that once per week). (ends up being a 30 hr. or even 36 hr. fast)
    I do allow myself coffee or tea, which makes it so much easier. (justified b/c of no calories)
    Since I go to the Dr. every 3 months and am motivated to be a pound or two less each time, that gives me motivation to behave myself (some).
    The occasional apple fritter from Jack's Bakery or the bakery in Westfield is a present weakness.
    I weight myself every morning to give myself a warning.
    Weight loss people say to do that only weekly but I need the feedback every day.
    I track my weight on an app called: "My Fitness Pal," and it is cool to see the changes for long periods of time or just a week in a chart.

I don't drink soda anymore.
    I don't buy ice cream (almost) to bring home.
    I don't drink 2 glasses of milk with my meals anymore.
    I really load up on veggies and even fruit.
    Don't eat dessert at home (totally happy with potatoes that are dessert for me, ha!)
    My wife won't let me eat 6 pieces of bread with my meals anymore.

Yes, dieting is a yo-yo, and on/off is not profitable, but I need the fasting to give me encouragement, and it motivates me when I get on the scales every day to behave myself and to eat "correctly."
    It truly is choices over when you eat (stop eating after supper), what you eat and the hardest: how much you eat. (portion control I've never mastered: I love food!)
    I now try to pig out on the complex foods, not processed.
    Veggies I love, fortunately.
    My wife is a severe diabetic, so I profit from her meal preparation and nagging about fist size portion of spaghetti is enough: ABSURD!

Good luck, they are correct: lifestyle changes = the hardest when it comes to our eating patterns.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I've been trying Keto, REALLY hard to get to 30g net carbs per day. Mountain Dew is my weakness, and I hate coffee. Been drinking monster rehabs for 10 cal/can, but I caved and had a can of mountain dew today.

My goal is to stay below 20. I occasionally go over, but it keeps me under 30 for sure. Aim small miss small. Seltzer water has been my friend. Most of the “Bubly” flavors are actually really good. Poweraid Zero is good for when I absolutely have to have something other than water.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I think I can get 30 net carbs. My problem is getting enough calories. I hve family down 15 pounds in 15 days

Bulletproof coffee. 1tbs GOOD butter (I prefer kerrygold) and 1tbs MCT oil blended with coffee. It’s my breakfast, and at 300ish calories, I’m often still not hungry at lunch time.

Top Bottom