Wife bought her 1st car (after 45 yrs. of marriage)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    2015 Subaru Forester WITH A CLEAN CARFAX 1OWNER.
    THIS SUPER SUBIE IS COMING **
    SUBARU CERTIFIED ** WHICH MEANS YOU WILL RECEIVE A SEVEN YEAR OR ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND MILE POWER TRAIN WARRANTY AT NO EXTRA COST TO YOU.
    APPOINTED WITH; AN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION,
    HEATED FRONT CLOTH SEATS, **
    SUNROOF &
    COLOR BACK UP CAMERA. CALL TODAY ABOUT GETTING YOURSELF THIS AWESOME SUBARU FOR LESS THEN 17K
    1 owner: always maintained at Subaru

All maintenance done plus:
    new battery
    new tires
    new front brakes

Bought bumper to bumper for the next 4 years
    Bought tire and rim package for next 4 years

thumbnail

thumbnail

thumbnail

thumbnail

It was fun to watch my wife go through the process, but she was taught by the best!

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Wow! Sounds like a nice car. A buddy had one and we made many a trip to a range in that car and it was always roomy and a lot of fun to ride in. Congrats to your wife!!!

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Subaru has a new larger model called an Ascent we might take a look at when we purchase my wife a new vehicle. I'd like to see her in a 4 runner, but the Ascent does look interesting.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Couldn't help myself: the car in our drive.
    When you've been driving a Corolla for 4 decades, it is refreshing to have a little heavier, solid car with some bells and whistles.
    Our Corolla didn't have anything except a steering wheel. :laugh:

8tUwVTo.jpg
    tDzMTqQ.jpg
    UeCQmFd.jpg
    kl7Pweo.jpg
    4IQaH1y.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Enjoy the Subaru, most of my friends that have them regularly get 200,000+ mile's out of them, great little cars.

1. That's why even though I wanted to buy her a new one ($27,000) in order to win her love, she opted for the $17,000 one with "high" mileage: 55,000.
    2. But: 1 owner and all maintenance done at Subaru including the 60k service.
    3. I told her it would outlive us!

Last edited:

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    My wife wants an Acadia (or one of its twins) so badly, she can taste it.

You should rethink that, serious transmission and abs issues.

Yep! We had an '09 Acadia. Repairs sucked. Everything is expensive and ****-poor design. Want to change the headlights? Jack the car up, take off the front wheel and fender skirt. Change the oil? Drain plug is right above a cross member and oil will get everywhere unless you have a lift and a telescoping drain funnel. Transmission went out at 125k miles. Cost me about $5k to get it fixed. Got rid of it shortly after. When I traded it in, the salesman specifically asked about the transmission. It's a known issue.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    You should rethink that, serious transmission and abs issues.

Yep! We had an '09 Acadia. Repairs sucked. Everything is expensive and ****-poor design. Want to change the headlights? Jack the car up, take off the front wheel and fender skirt. Change the oil? Drain plug is right above a cross member and oil will get everywhere unless you have a lift and a telescoping drain funnel. Transmission went out at 125k miles. Cost me about $5k to get it fixed. Got rid of it shortly after. When I traded it in, the salesman specifically asked about the transmission. It's a known issue.

I hadn't heard that about the transmissions. Is it common for all model years or specific ones?

And yeah, we ran into the same thing with the headlights in our Malibu. I heard it's the same on the trucks too.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I hadn't heard that about the transmissions. Is it common for all model years or specific ones?

And yeah, we ran into the same thing with the headlights in our Malibu. I heard it's the same on the trucks too.

All years, the current '19 model is no different...

Brother in law has one leased,I expressed to him to turn it in at end of lease!

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Doddg congrats on finding a nice vehicle for the spouse. Only problem I see is the dealer(Tom Wood) I despise them and will never do business with any dealership with that name. Hope you have better luck than I did.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Doddg congrats on finding a nice vehicle for the spouse. Only problem I see is the dealer(Tom Wood) I despise them and will never do business with any dealership with that name. Hope you have better luck than I did.

1. Oh great! I've had a great relationship with O'Brien Toyota where I bought 1 used and 1 new cars and they did work on a a couple of other Corollas I had (see a pattern here: that's why we are driving a Subaru now, I wanted a different flavor of car now that the cheapest good car that I've been driving since the late 80s I didn't need to buy just to save money.
    2. For example: I predict it will cost me $15/mo. more in gas to drive the Subaru (mostly my wife, actually: she probably won't let me drive it hardly at all, ha!), and that would have been enough when I was making $20K a year as a teacher to kept my buying Corollas.
    3. Now that house is paid off, I'm top of the teacher pay scale, kids are gone, and I can spend my wife's Social Security (running joke between us) I can go wild and buy the $17,000 Subaru :rofl: (b/c she wouldn't let me just buy here a new one: which we would have done before paying $22k for one with 48k miles on it, so we actually got more miles, 55k, but saved $5000, which fit my "formula" of paying or saving $1000 for every 10k miles difference and $1000 for every year difference, which really ends up not mattering to us b/c we keep our cars so long anyway, but if I actually resold in 5 yrs. would matter)

4. With my Honda, I dealt with the dealership on 96th/near Keystone, Penske Honda, and I have been happy with them.
    5. Never had to deal with Tom Wood, but hopefully since I spent extra getting a bumper to bumper to follow the Subaru remaining 100k, or 7 yrs. warranty, I'll be fine into retirement in 1 to 5 yrs., depending on this darned arthritis eating my bones. :crying:

Last edited:

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    Congrats on the new car! I suspect that you both will be happy with this one for a long time.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Congrats on the new car! I suspect that you both will be happy with this one for a long time.

1. She hasn't even driven it yet (think we're wired different? :laugh:), but I'm having the usual rush in driving something different, with all the "feel" being so strange and better (new and improved), especially since we went from having a sedan to an SUV, which we've talked about for 5-6 yrs. (wife never cared until I started talking of getting another Jeep and had 4 I different ones to choose from at Xmas/New Years time, and she wasn't going to let me the next car! :dunno:)

2. What's funny is, Sunday I put an ad in Craigslist before Church Sunday for the 05 Corolla (133k miles for $3995 with perfect maintenance), and I had to take the ad out (4 responses while at church), b/c there is some kind of rattle when we moved the Corolla out of the driveway to make room for the Subaru, so I got to get it checked out.
    3. Probably just a heat shield rattling around, but can't sell a car with that going on! :ugh:
    4. It's bad enough that the engine light is on (has been for years) indicating need for a new catalytic converter, which it doesn't need (Toyota agrees), and evidently is a common enough issue, but it will hurt the sale of it unless a person believes I'm not lying: I think I'll get a print out from Toyota where I service about it.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    All years, the current '19 model is no different...

Brother in law has one leased,I expressed to him to turn it in at end of lease!

I talked to my transmission guy today and asked his experience about this. He said the 09-11 years were particularly troublsome for their transmissions. He did go on to tell about the cost of replacing these multi-gear trannies. He said he recently had to replace a 14 Verano transmission (not sure which one it uses) but a used one was $4800. He said they recently got some info from Jasper and the new transmissions in the Chevy and Ford trucks will be $9900, sitting on the pallet.

He also reminded me that Ford and GM jointly developed the 6 speed transmissions and the same basic transmission that is in a Acadia is in a Ford Edge. Are the Fords seeing the same problems as the GMs? (We didn't talk about that this morning).

510picker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2017
    Martinsville
    Excellent choice! My wife drive a 13 Outback and I have a 14 Impreza and both have been great! Both of them are awesome in the snow too. As far as service goes, I highly recommend Dreyer and Reinbold Subaru in Greenwood. They have done an excellent job and John Stephenson in the service department goes above and beyond. It sounds like your warranty is from Subaru, so they don’t care where you get it serviced at.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Excellent choice! My wife drive a 13 Outback and I have a 14 Impreza and both have been great! Both of them are awesome in the snow too. As far as service goes, I highly recommend Dreyer and Reinbold Subaru in Greenwood. They have done an excellent job and John Stephenson in the service department goes above and beyond. It sounds like your warranty is from Subaru, so they don’t care where you get it serviced at.

1. Thanks for the tip. :thumbsup:
    2. I went down there to buy but they didn't have much used.
    3. It is about the same time to to to 96th St. than in Greenwood, but I'll keep that in mind if I get doubts about Tom Wood.

Top Bottom