• ...and so much more!
  • tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Looking to replace my husqvarna rider 1200 articulated mower. This is a 20 year old mower that has served me very well. Made in Sweden. So looking to replace it with something in the zero turn range again. Mowing a little over 2 acres of bumpy yard and about300 feet of ditch. Asking for what you guys are running and what to stay away from. Yes I know this is a loaded question so fire away. Thanks again INGO!!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I've been using a Scag Turf Tiger for about 14 years now. I'd have no problem recommending one but they're pricey. I have no doubt I'll never wear it out. I may have to replace the Kohler air cooled engine but that frame and deck should last a very long time.

They don't like soft ground though. You saying you've got ditch to mow worries me, especially if it gets/stays mushy...it will get stuck in the blink of an eye. Usually at least once per spring, I wind up having to pull it out of a soft spot.

And my yard is bumpy too. Lots of very busy moles. I'm fairly sure all of the zero turns probably ride the same -- if you try to mow at speed, you'll look like the astronauts driving around on one of those lunar rovers. :D

I'm not sure how much I mow...maybe 3 or 4 acres. I just did it last Wednesday in right at 2 hours.

Last edited:

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    First what are you wanting to spend? I have an early dixie with a 22hp kohler and it is a tank almost 16 years old and I do my 5 acres almost twice a week in the spring and fall.

I do not however recommend a newer dixie. There are way to many options that are better and with better options for $$$. I like Exmark and Scag if i was ever to get a new model.

John Deere makes a solid zero turn also but you pay for the Green Paint Lol.

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    Husqvarna makes zero turns, and from what I understand, they work really well. We ran a Toro at the parents house. It mowed and rode great, but the tires were ass. Little to no traction sometimes on minor hills, so that would be something to keep an eye on with any mower purchase. Go with a name brand for sure (Cub Cadet, Deere, Toro, Husqvarna, etc.) and you won't be disappointed.

Also, another vote for avoiding Dixie.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    sometimes wish I had a z-turn, but this humms right along on my 1.7 acres in about 45 minutes. 1988 Case 235, 21hp diesel, 4-wheel hydro drive, mid & rear PTOs, 60" deck.
    Now if I could only find a plow to fit it...
    main.php?cmd=imageorig&var1=case_235.jpg

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I'm in the same boat... looking for a mower for 4.5 acres. I think I have narrowed the search to a Ferris IS 2100Z or a Simplicity Cobalt. Same mower, just different color and a Briggs EFI motor. The independent suspension makes a huge difference when the ground gets a little rough and the wife will be using it too.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I've been using a Scag Turf Tiger for about 14 years now. I'd have no problem recommending one but they're pricey. I have no doubt I'll never wear it out. I may have to replace the Kohler air cooled engine but that frame and deck should last a very long time.

They don't like soft ground though. You saying you've got ditch to mow worries me, especially if it gets/stays mushy...it will get stuck in the blink of an eye. Usually at least once per spring, I wind up having to pull it out of a soft spot.

And my yard is bumpy too. Lots of very busy moles. I'm fairly sure all of the zero turns probably ride the same -- if you try to mow at speed, you'll look like the astronauts driving around on one of those lunar rovers. :D

I'm not sure how much I mow...maybe 3 or 4 acres. I just did it last Wednesday in right at 2 hours.
    I had the same reaction to the ditch. Not only soft spots, but how is the ditch sloped? They don't generally do well on slopes either.

The bumpier it is, the slower you go. :): I mow parts of my pasture with mine, but it is slow going and only specific sections.

For bumpy, I would recommend looking at a commercial grade model. They are pricier, but they should hold up better to the stress of being bounced around a lot. I ended up buying a John Deere a few years ago, and have been very happy with it.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    If you deflate the tires to about half nominal pressure, bumpy surface isn't quite so bad. Experiment with tire pressure and you might find it less bone jarring.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    If you deflate the tires to about half nominal pressure, bumpy surface isn't quite so bad. Experiment with tire pressure and you might find it less bone jarring.

True. It helps a little. I've wondered about putting weights on the front.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I had the same reaction to the ditch. Not only soft spots, but how is the ditch sloped? They don't generally do well on slopes either.

The bumpier it is, the slower you go. :): I mow parts of my pasture with mine, but it is slow going and only specific sections.

For bumpy, I would recommend looking at a commercial grade model. They are pricier, but they should hold up better to the stress of being bounced around a lot. I ended up buying a John Deere a few years ago, and have been very happy with it.

I've got a few slopes in my yard. One area is steep enough I don't dare try to mow. The rest are fine but when the grass is wet, those turf tires do have a tendency to slide instead of turn the mower.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I've got a few slopes in my yard. One area is steep enough I don't dare try to mow. The rest are fine but when the grass is wet, those turf tires do have a tendency to slide instead of turn the mower.
    I have some slopes that aren't bad. If they were any steeper I would still have a regular lawn tractor. They handle it a lot better than a ZT.

PUalum04

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Hope
    Another vote for Scag. Their velocity deck is hands down the best cutting deck on the market. You can get into a tiger cat with a 48" deck for less than $9k and will last you 25+ years. Opt for the suspension seat and have fun. I say that because you will actually enjoy mowing grass with this machine.

Top Bottom