• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I know how, but its been years. Closest I've done is paddle shifting. Oh and ATV shifting with my foot.

My son wants a Jeep when he hits 16. He and I joke about getting a manual, so my wife can't drive it. :)

(She nearly burned out the transmission of a mid-80s vintage Jeep when her family tried to teach her out to drive a stick shift.)

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I'd probably have a tough time in a manual car for the first few minutes. In my semi, I only use the clutch to take off and float the rest of the time. So trying to remember to clutch between every gear might take a while.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I know how, but its been years. Closest I've done is paddle shifting. Oh and ATV shifting with my foot.

My son wants a Jeep when he hits 16. He and I joke about getting a manual, so my wife can't drive it. :)

(She nearly burned out the transmission of a mid-80s vintage Jeep when her family tried to teach her out to drive a stick shift.)

My wife is pretty good with a stick. :cool: :banana:

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    All of my vehicles are manual shift. I don't like to even drive anything with a slushbox in it and it's becoming more and more difficult to find manual shift cars in lieu of the stupid paddle shifters. There's hardly even a high end car I'd like nowadays - no manual option in Lambos, Ferrari, etc. Porsche still has manuals (new 7-speed mmmm) and BMW still has some.

I've never been stuck in snow with a manual since I can "feather" the clutch to only use enough torque get moving rather than spinning my tires or just start in 2dn gear. Not possible with an auto or paddle.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've owned a lot of stick shifts over the years, from a 5 speed base Camaro in high school to my current 6 speed Camaro SS with a bunch of non-Camaros (and a Camaro) in between. 3 speed in a '75 GMC, 4 speed granny in an '87 Ram, I think the Saab convertible was a 5 speed. Camaro Z28 was a 6 speed.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I'm still at least 10 years away from my first kid driving, but my plan is to find a beater car with a manual transmission for them to learn to drive on.

It's a heck of a lot tougher to text and drive when you need your right hand free to shift gears.

Pyro

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 18, 2018
    Indy
    It's been a few years but I learned on an old VW that would die if you slipped the clutch. Upgraded to a Celica GT ... miss it some days. ;0)

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    My daily driver doesn't have a manual transmission, but many previous ones did. Hard to find them in the newer and even not so new vehicles. Bikes still have 'em, though! Years ago, a rather feminine male co-worker asked if he could move my car, as I was busy with something I couldn't leave. I offended him by asking if he could drive a clutch. He came back inside after a few minutes and sheepishly said he couldn't get it in reverse. This was way before millenials...

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    I learned how to drive in a truck that was a manual thanks to my grandfather. My first three cars were manuals and now drive a nice mustang cobra 5 speed, talk about fun to drive! Oh yeah don’t know if I fall into the millennial group or not but born in 82’

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I've never driven a non-manual car. :dunno:

Over here in France you need to drive a manual to pass your driver's licence.
    If you pass your driver's exam on an automatic (usually folks with a missing arm) then you can only drive an automatic and don't get a "full licence".
    But if you learn on a manual you can legally drive an auto.

With an automatic 13 hours of driving lessons are required by law, 20 hours for a manual.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I'm still at least 10 years away from my first kid driving, but my plan is to find a beater car with a manual transmission for them to learn to drive on.

It's a heck of a lot tougher to text and drive when you need your right hand free to shift gears.

I've seen folks rolling a cigarette while driving, using both hands.
    The passenger had to shift gears with his left hand and the driver held the steering wheel with his knees while using the clutch and gas.
    Team work!

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    A 3 speed on the column could stump millennials, most Gen Xers and a few Boomers. I learned on a 72 F 100 with a 4 speed.

Herr Vogel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2018
    Rossburg

The sad thing is that this is one of the most common arguments in favor of automatic transmissions. I need a free hand to drink coffee, apply makeup, check facebook, beat the kids in the back seat, and so forth.

The passenger had to shift gears with his left hand and the driver held the steering wheel with his knees while using the clutch and gas.

Then why didn't he just have the passenger roll the smoke? I guess that'd be too easy.

Top Bottom