• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    That “shoulder” to me seems inadequate. Looks like the door would be in the traffic lane. Did the officer look before opening his door? Close call for sure.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    That “shoulder” to me seems inadequate. Looks like the door would be in the traffic lane. Did the officer look before opening his door? Close call for sure.
    Kind of my thoughts too. I always check my mirror before I get out of my car. Glad he wasn’t hurt, but partly his fault.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Well he was kind of set up of the guy who pulled over against the middle. Slowdown, flashers on and get to a safe spot to pull over.

Although I did that one time on 465 and had a state police officer yell at me. He was about six inches off my bumper on 465 blaring some horn. I had driven about a half mile to get to where the 37 offramp is on west bound 465 rather than pulling over on a narrow shoulder. Had slowed, flashers on. Oh well. He told me it’s up to him to worry about his safety, not me

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Well he was kind of set up of the guy who pulled over against the middle. Slowdown, flashers on and get to a safe spot to pull over.

Although I did that one time on 465 and had a state police officer yell at me. He was about six inches off my bumper on 465 blaring some horn. I had driven about a half mile to get to where the 37 offramp is on west bound 465 rather than pulling over on a narrow shoulder. Had slowed, flashers on. Oh well. He told me it’s up to him to worry about his safety, not me

We've been told time and time again that where an officer lights up a motorist is where that motorist should pull over.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    My former partner had that happen to him on purpose. Guy rammed the back of his car twice and when my partner started to get out of the car tried to run him over, laying the door against the fender. Guy then took off and killed himself in a single car crash before my partner could catch up to him. A witness said he was shooting out the back window before he crashed, which might explain why he left the roadway on a straight road.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    We've been told time and time again that where an officer lights up a motorist is where that motorist should pull over.
    I've heard it both was, both from average citizens and LE. Doesn't seem to be a correct answer.

My #1 priority is to get home at the end of a day. I'll do it the safest way for ME and secondarily, for the officer.

Step 1 - don't give LEO a reason to pull me over.
    Step 2 - flashers on, slow, pull over at nearest safe space (out of traffic, well lit, etc...).

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    The Nevada Highway Patrol just issued a press statement that the pants for their uniforms are being switched from black to brown.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

...and this remains (largely) true. We have a PA, if you pull over somewhere that's sketchy we can ask you to creep up a bit or whatever.

You know you're looking for a "safe place", but our experience is when people are slow rolling they are either stashing things or preparing an ambush. That experience hypes up the response to a slow roller for many officers.

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    I have been pulled over in the past in a ****ty spot (down hill side of a very humped bridge) and the trooper told me I was speeding and that he was letting me go so that we wouldn't be hit in the ass.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    What appears to be an official statement from the State of Indiana:
    https://www.in.gov/ipdc/public/2658.htm

Slow down and pull over[FONT=&amp] to the side of the road when it is safe to do so. If you are unsure whether the car is a police car or not, drive slowly, turn on your flashers, pull over to a public place with good lighting and stop. [/FONT]

Must you always stop immediately for a cop? - Post-Tribune
    Woman arrested for slowing down, turning on flashers, acknowledging cop, and pulling over in a safe place.

Seems to be some mixed messages out there.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Must you always stop immediately for a cop? - Post-Tribune
    Woman arrested for slowing down, turning on flashers, acknowledging cop, and pulling over in a safe place.

Seems to be some mixed messages out there.

...and I think that this entire thread should be read before basing too much on that incident:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ndiana-woman-arrested-exercising-caution.html

I maintain: the woman who was pulled over was a harpy. The officer overreacted.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    ...and this remains (largely) true. We have a PA, if you pull over somewhere that's sketchy we can ask you to creep up a bit or whatever.

You know you're looking for a "safe place", but our experience is when people are slow rolling they are either stashing things or preparing an ambush. That experience hypes up the response to a slow roller for many officers.
    Dont take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to make it controversial, mostly gonna type this in an asking way not a pointing finger way and trying to tell cops how to do their job.
    So why if you pull someone over for a traffic stop related to a basic infraction does it matter if they are stashing something? Let them stash away the drugs or whatever. The weapon or ambush thing sure I understand but I think most cops are trained nowadays (I gather this from talking to cops) that everyone is going to try to kill them and to always be ready. (Seems like it anymore). But address traffic violations and unless you smell or see drugs or the person is impaired why go further? Why try to trick them into lying or admitting they have some weed to smoke stashed under their seat or I'm their console? Unless they're a dealer I really dont think busting the user of some weed has done any service to the community. Ok yeah I inputted some opinion in there too but believe me I am on the cops side for the most part and yeah if you break the (obvious) law then you knew it and better be willing to accept the consequences.
    I just think sometimes something like a simple traffic stop turns into a much larger thing that it needs to. Either you're looking for drugs or you are writing tickets, and if you see drugs you then address it?
    I'll be waiting to eat my slice of STFU Pie ;)

For the record if a cop lights me up I'm stopping as soon as I can bring my vehicle to a safe stop. I dont know who's in that car behind me and what mood hes in and the last thing I need is to send him into a roid rage and shoot me because he sees one of the guns on me or in my car and thinks or says I went for one. When I get pulled over there is not going to be any smart talk or ego on my part, I'll be his little *****, and comply (except for answering fishing questions), and if I've been wronged I'll follow up within the legal means availible. On the road the cop is going to win. I dont care if you are in the right or not, he will win and if he uses his radio a bunch more on HIS side are gonna show up to remind you who is in charge. Nope, I'm not ending up on the wrong side of that. I'll let my lawyer make him my ***** in court if I am wronged. The same as they will do to you If you are wrong. Only on the road you might end up with bullet holes if you dont comply. When they are behind you with their lights on in today's world, you might as well be an ISIS terrorist because you are looked at as the enemy or a potential probable threat. I plan to live.
    For the cops that arent on threat level red always and are nice, and dont fish, it's really appreciated. I'd be one of the citizens that would have your back like you have mine if it was ever needed.

Last edited:

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    I like the heavy sigh after a moment. It does appear that he just swung his door open without looking while hoping that everyone is doing the slowdown/move over thing, though.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom