• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Passing grade with record homicides, grading on a curve here? Throwing two officers under the bus brought his grade up? He kind of went over it like it was a disagreement in a routine meeting.

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. - The police chief of the Indianapolis Metro Police Department told FOX59, he would give himself an average 'C' grade for the job he's done so far as Indy's top police boss.

Eighteen months ago, Roach took charge of IMPD. At that time, Indianapolis had just closed out its deadliest year in nearly two decades with 149 criminal homicides.
    Under the leadership of Mayor Joe Hogsett, Roach was tasked with reducing that violence. But 2017 came and went with even more criminal homicides. 156 people dead.

And 2018's numbers continue to climb. As of August, we're at 86 criminal homicides.

"If you're selling narcotics, you're typically protecting your narcotics with a gun. If you're robbing people, you typically have a gun," said Roach. "Conflict resolution. Social media. So many of our violence has been conflicts that get escalated through social media."

That path includes the city doling out more than $2 million dollars in crime prevention grants. It's pulling in grassroots groups and it just appointed two new peacemakers who will work one-on-one with families in the most violent neighborhood.

After the Bailey shooting, there was a very public clash between Chief Roach and the Fraternal Order of Police when Roach called for the firing of the two officers involved. He said he knew he had to work to mend those relationships fast.
    "A lot of talking. A lot of discussions. It would`ve been so easy for the FOP and this administration to separate and not to have those discussions, but the FOP president and I continue to have dialogue like we did prior."

https://fox59.com/2018/08/08/indy-p...a-c-as-homicides-head-towards-another-record/

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    LEO = Law Enforcement Officer

CPO = Crime Prevention Officer

I'll never understand the willingness of some to blame the police or of some police to accept responsibility for the murder rate. Last I checked the jail hasn't had a vacancy sign lit in many years, criminals are being arrested and they aren't arresting themselves so apparently the police are doing their jobs. Strangely, being arrested isn't much of an inconvenience and is supposed to be the beginning of a series of events which should provide incentive to not commit crime. Doesn't seem to be working in spite of the police holding up their end of the bargain.

Makes about as much sense as *****ing at the checkout clerk at Walmart for the price of milk going up.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    FWIW, I think the CoP does a good job balancing all the things he has to balance. I don't have to agree with every decision he makes to think he's trying his best to do what he thinks is right.

Police affecting the murder rates? How many murderers and murderees have lengthy arrest records? Not like we aren't doing our part....

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I see something like that and wonder if someone higher up asked (or didn't have to ask) for the person to fall on their sword a little. To take responsibility for something that isn't really their responsibility, but saves someone else from actually being held responsible.

Now, I'm not sure the mayor can really control the homicide rate, either. Except maybe for hiring/deploying more police. But even then, there are tradeoffs and logistics that are obstacles.

As long as the politicians promise to "do something" to fix the problem, people will expect them to do that.

I go back to a conversation I had with someone who I trust for insight into the Marion County issues. He said he didn't think there was anything that could be done to fix it. He didn't use this analogy, but it seems to me to be like a terminally ill patient with an indefinite prognosis. You can't do much but just watch as they get worse and try to minimize the pain.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

I'll never understand the willingness of some to blame the police or of some police to accept responsibility for the murder rate. Last I checked the jail hasn't had a vacancy sign lit in many years, criminals are being arrested and they aren't arresting themselves so apparently the police are doing their jobs. Strangely, being arrested isn't much of an inconvenience and is supposed to be the beginning of a series of events which should provide incentive to not commit crime. Doesn't seem to be working in spite of the police holding up their end of the bargain.

Makes about as much sense as *****ing at the checkout clerk at Walmart for the price of milk going up.

Yep. A good example is the chase I got in Tuesday night. Convicted felon, suspect in at least two shootings (where no one is willing to testify), on Federal probation. I arrested him in 2017 for carrying a gun as a convicted felon after he shot someone the night before. 8 mile chase at speeds up to 100 mph and only ended when I PITed him. His Marion County bond was $500. Now the Feds are scrambling to revoke his parole and get him in Federal custody. TL, DR: The problem with the homicide rate isn't the police, it is the (local) courts and the Prosecutor. And of course the people committing the homicides.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    384   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    And the lack of Citizen help...

The most used words in the Getto: I don't see nuffen .

Hardly ever a good witness around..Most Citizens are scared to death of the retaliation when these Thugs get out==As stated on their FIVE HUNDRED Bond...

I would say more protection for witnesses and LESS for the Thugs...Bill.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I'm remembering the early years of my career with IPD. Went on the job in 1967. We heard rants and saw copies of criminal histories that are identical to the way things are today. Revolving doors at the jail. Judges turning 'em out faster than we could put 'em in. A judge assigned to the then newly-created drug court routinely released drug dealers with no bond after making them promise to go to church and respect their mothers. Criminals convicted in surrounding counties always got tougher sentencing than they did in Marion County. 20+ arrests in Indy netted less total time in jail than 1 or 2 in Hendricks County, for example. We were doing the job then. They're doing the job today under much more difficult circumstances. Moral: Commit your crimes in Marion County. Some things never change!

And, by the way, there were people shot darned near every night in Indy back then. And sure as hell every Friday and Saturday night.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I’ll join in the beating of the dead horse. People would be shocked to hear stories about cases that get declined for charges, people let out within 24hrs, or people who barely get a slap on the wrist. Sometimes I ask myself why people don’t commit more crimes than they do...

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I’ll join in the beating of the dead horse. People would be shocked to hear stories about cases that get declined for charges, people let out within 24hrs, or people who barely get a slap on the wrist. Sometimes I ask myself why people don’t commit more crimes than they do...
    But they prosecute members of society who arent thugs or criminals for dumb **** that should never be prosecuted. What a ass backwards system

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I'm remembering the early years of my career with IPD. Went on the job in 1967. We heard rants and saw copies of criminal histories that are identical to the way things are today. Revolving doors at the jail. Judges turning 'em out faster than we could put 'em in. A judge assigned to the then newly-created drug court routinely released drug dealers with no bond after making them promise to go to church and respect their mothers. Criminals convicted in surrounding counties always got tougher sentencing than they did in Marion County. 20+ arrests in Indy netted less total time in jail than 1 or 2 in Hendricks County, for example. We were doing the job then. They're doing the job today under much more difficult circumstances. Moral: Commit your crimes in Marion County. Some things never change!

And, by the way, there were people shot darned near every night in Indy back then. And sure as hell every Friday and Saturday night.

THIS ^ Cops are NOT the Problem but I do think that the the past few Mayors have sacrificed Justice to garner Votes. It's Easy, they Hire and or Promote Chiefs that do their Bidding in lieu of implementing Proven Strategies. I'm Old enough to have seen it Both ways and IMO the current philosophy is NOT Working. The Judges (some) are out to lunch with this leniency. The Legislature is NOT helping and the current trend to social work everyone is a terrible idea. Sometimes a society needs *ss kickers & name takers. Proper Discretion is one of the Important tools of the Officer. It's a BIG problem and needs BIG Solutions or it will Only get Worse.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

FWIW, I think the CoP does a good job balancing all the things he has to balance. I don't have to agree with every decision he makes to think he's trying his best to do what he thinks is right.

Police affecting the murder rates? How many murderers and murderees have lengthy arrest records? Not like we aren't doing our part....

Exactly on point. The arrival of the catch and release program at the jails has only increased the crime rate not stifled it.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    But they prosecute members of society who arent thugs or criminals for dumb **** that should never be prosecuted. What a ass backwards system
    It's the same way with child support, they'll go after a working parent who is not behind on support and trying to do the right thing, while some deadbeat loser sits on his ass owing thousands in back support, because they know they can't get blood from a turnip. The system doesn't care about justice, it's all about how much money the prosecutor can bring through his office.

Top Bottom