• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I’m looking for suggestions, ideas, and pictures if you’d like to post them.
    we are planning a trip in late Sept. and trying to figure out what to fit in to one trip. We are flying in to Salt Lake City and we’ll have about 9 days. I’m thinking about Arches and maybe Bryce Canyon day one and two, on to Yellowstone on day 3. Anything we should see on the way? We’ll probably be going through Jackson Hole and the Tetons then we need to decide how many days for Yellowstone. I wonder if we should spend about 4 days there, then explore around SLC the last 1-1 1/2 days or do we have enough time to head to South Dakota?
    opinions? Ideas? Pics? Thanks!

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Zion National Park, swing through dinosaur national monument then up through the flaming gorge.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    On the way down to Zion from SLC near Cedar City (about an hour north of Zion) there is a place called Cedar Breaks. It is like a miniature Bryce in the type of formations and colors

https://www.nps.gov/cebr/index.htm

It's absolutely beautiful, but it's at higher altitude than most of the major parks. IIRC the trails around the rim are between 9800 and about 10300 feet, so if anybody in the party has breathing issues or asthma this could be a concern. This is not my picture, they're not on this device. I borrowed it from the interwebz
    Honestly, if it were me I would spend more time in the Utah parks, especially Bryce and Arches. Yellowstone wasn't my cup of tea. Iconic but too much driving and not geared toward hiking and really getting in and among the scenery. Most of the storied sights are 20 or so miles apart. Grand Teton is also muy hermosa. If you have the time, the hike up to delicate arch in Arches (462 verticle feet in I think 1.2 miles) is well worth it View attachment 69265

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Skip Mt Rushmore. It's fine, and it's something that you will likely want to do at some point, but there's too much out there for this to make the top of the list.
    Yellowstone itself deserves more than 9 days.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    The drive through Custer State Park that allows you to see Mt Rushmore in the Distance was better than Mt Rushmore itself.

Skip Mt Rushmore. It's fine, and it's something that you will likely want to do at some point, but there's too much out there for this to make the top of the list.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The only reason to go to Yellowstone is to say you’ve been there. Well. The car accidents are interesting too. Japanese tourists can’t drive.

madeuce50

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Lafayette,In.
    You will be near Crazy Horse when you skip Rushmore. It is worth the trip just for it and the black hills. Deadwood is pretty cool for a couple days. Wounded Knee is close as is pine ridge. Stay away from the wall drug tourist trap.

joe138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    You'll be spending a lot of time driving. It is a fairly long drive to Moab from SLC, even farther to Zion. Yellowstone is another several hour drive from SLC. All are worth seeing and enjoying, Yellowstone is my favorite of the ones mentioned and I agree that you could spend the whole time in Yellowstone.

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    The wife and I visited Yellowstone some years ago in Sept. It snowed so be prepared to dress warmly, unless you’re counting on global warming to mitigate that risk!

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    We were in the Mt Rushmore area, and then on to Bozeman Montana and Yellowston NP in June. Iron Mountain road between MR and Custer SP is really cool, It loops under itself through tunnels a couple of times and one of them is aimed right at MR. We loved Custer State Park. Saw two herds of bison, one in the process of crossing the highway. Also stopped and visited a prairie dog village. Those things are hilarious the way they scamper around and bark to each other. While driving through the park, stop at the way stations and the staff there will let you know where the animals are at that time. Yellowstone was great. We spent 12 hours in one day driving through the park and stopping at several sights. We saw bison, elk, one moose and one grizzly. Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone is pretty cool too. Parking and a short hike on the south rim, the hike takes you to a beautiful view of a major waterfall. Oh and the drive between these areas is pretty long, but you will see a lot (> 100) of pronghorns on the way, supposedly the fastest land animal in the U.S., although all the ones we saw we just grazing. Sounds lilke a great trip you are planning.

mike trible

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whatever you decide, you will wish that you had more time to spend there. My personal favorite was Mt. Rushmore at night when the monument is lit up with spotlights and the National Anthem is playing in the background. Then there is the pigtail bridges on the Iron Mountain drive just west of there. ENJOY your trip.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    My wife's sister and BIL live in North Platte Nebraska. We're taking the family on a 11 day trip late spring of '19 there to stay with them. Mt. Rushmore/Custer park is 5hrs north of my in laws. We plan on driving up one morning and staying in the area a couple days. I'm looking forward to it. I think my kids will really like it

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    Whatever you decide, you will wish that you had more time to spend there. My personal favorite was Mt. Rushmore at night when the monument is lit up with spotlights and the National Anthem is playing in the background. Then there is the pigtail bridges on the Iron Mountain drive just west of there. ENJOY your trip.
    We try to hit national parks every year, or every other year, but only visit one at a time. They are just too big to only spend 2 days in each and truly enjoy them. Two day visits are fine if you just want to say you have been there. Our hands down favorite is Glacier National Park. That will probably change when we hit Denali and Alaska in 3 years.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Friday Sept 28th will be the Annual Custer State Park Buffalo Roundup.

Yea, Wall Drug is a Tourist Trap just as the Mitchell Corn Palace is...however they are both regional institutions and worth the stop if one is passing; however for the OP quite a bit out of the way to the east unless one seeks a different view of the Badlands.

Crazy Horse? Seriously? I felt they should have tossed in a blanket at the gate as much as we were fleeced for admission..........

SLC to Rapid City is 650+ miles, that's two days driving round trip.

Last edited:

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    Late in September means you will encounter snow in Yellowstone, especially the south entrance near Jackson. Cody, WY has the Winchester museum, the Big Horns in the middle of WY are nice, Devil's Tower east of there. West is Idaho, lots of great scenery in the Sawtooth Range. Craters Of The Moon if you like old lava flows. May be too late for a float trip down the Snake River, it will be low and slow that time of year.

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    We try to hit national parks every year, or every other year, but only visit one at a time. They are just too big to only spend 2 days in each and truly enjoy them. Two day visits are fine if you just want to say you have been there. Our hands down favorite is Glacier National Park. That will probably change when we hit Denali and Alaska in 3 years.

Went to Denali several years ago as part of an Alaska trip. I was disappointed. They were pretty restrictive on where normal tourists could go. If you make your living as a professional photographer/videographer, you have a LOT more freedom to explore the park. I would highly recommend the Discovery riverboat cruise departing from Fairbanks, Riverboat Discovery.

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County

Crazy Horse? Seriously? I felt they should have tossed in a blanket at the gate as much as we were fleeced for admission..........

Crazy Horse was a disappointment to me as well. I doubt they will ever finish it (at least not in my lifetime). Didn't like Deadwood either, thought we were going to an old west town, but it was mostly a gampling center. Even had slots machines in a women's clothing boutique!

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Too bad you can't make the Bonneville Salt Flats Speed Week. The Flats are amazing for sheer speed.. It starts in the next couple of days though.
    I’d love to see that....except I’d be jealous!!!
    i was wondering if we are allowed to drive out there ourselves (when nothing’s going on obviously)?

Top Bottom