• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    I have about 160 acres of land in Michigan. I’ve always wanted to make a food plot or two as we use the property solely for hunting. I found a report that shows what the soil is, the nccpi rating and soil class. Problem is I have no idea what any of that means.

the vast majority of the soil is described as ‘Rubicon Sand” and is class 7, which I now understand sucks for typical crops. The area I want to grow is more a less a grassy meadow with some pine and oak surrounding it. Any idea what I could plant there that would survive in the sandy soil?

1c1c3e4e491a7d9c0c781eb85778a2df.png

3c020db5ebe6743283750b5d09745b74.png

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In broad terms, what are you looking to plant- annual crops, perennial crops (fruit trees, berry bushes, etc), non-food trees or other plants, something to support wildlife or livestock, etc?

Are you looking for some type of harvest (food, lumber, animals, etc) or just to cover up bare soil?

Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    In broad terms, what are you looking to plant- annual crops, perennial crops (fruit trees, berry bushes, etc), non-food trees or other plants, something to support wildlife or livestock, etc?

Are you looking for some type of harvest (food, lumber, animals, etc) or just to cover up bare soil?

not looking to harvest anything, just mainly looking to plant something to bring deer into the area and hunt over.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    not looking to harvest anything, just mainly looking to plant something to bring deer into the area and hunt over.

OK. I don't have good info for you on that. However, this sounds like a perfect question for Jack Spirko of The Survival Podcast. He is very well versed in all kinds of plant info, deer hunting and working with different kinds of soils. There are multiple ways to contact him, but he is pretty particular about the info format you use. I'll send you a PM with details.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Only somewhat on point, but what is the difference between baiting deer (illegal) and planting a food plot to hunt over (legal)? Not criticizing but just curious as to why one is okay and the other is not.

Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    Only somewhat on point, but what is the difference between baiting deer (illegal) and planting a food plot to hunt over (legal)? Not criticizing but just curious as to why one is okay and the other is not.

Baiting is legal in Michigan with the exception of a few counties that are being monitored for CWD. But regardless, the Michigan DNR doesn’t consider food plots as “bait” or “feed”. Source- https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-350-79136_79772_79773_83479---,00.html

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

It's a valid question. While we do hunt the three food plots we maintain every year, difference in the amount of time we hunt over them vs the amount of time that food is available to the deer is enormous. We've yet to shoot a deer over one of our plots but I have no doubt they've helped the deer survive the winter by providing high quality nutrients during the months they are hardest to some by.

Compare that to typical baiting and you'll see the big difference. Dumping a pile of corn, sugar beets or apples on the ground doesn't do much for the deer nor does it require much effort on the part of the hunter. We spend hundreds of dollars and many hours spraying, fertilizing, tilling, mowing and planting our plots every year.

I don't have an issue with baiting where it is legal. I've hunted over bait in Texas and if I were hunting in a state where it was legal I wouldn't have a problem doing it again. Particularly because the expense of out of state hunts is so high and the amount of time available is so limited.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Baiting is legal in Michigan with the exception of a few counties that are being monitored for CWD. But regardless, the Michigan DNR doesn’t consider food plots as “bait” or “feed”. Source- https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-350-79136_79772_79773_83479---,00.html

Thanks, I had forgotten that you were talking about Michigan and I wasn't aware of their laws regarding baiting.

It's a valid question. While we do hunt the three food plots we maintain every year, difference in the amount of time we hunt over them vs the amount of time that food is available to the deer is enormous. We've yet to shoot a deer over one of our plots but I have no doubt they've helped the deer survive the winter by providing high quality nutrients during the months they are hardest to some by.

Compare that to typical baiting and you'll see the big difference. Dumping a pile of corn, sugar beets or apples on the ground doesn't do much for the deer nor does it require much effort on the part of the hunter. We spend hundreds of dollars and many hours spraying, fertilizing, tilling, mowing and planting our plots every year.

I don't have an issue with baiting where it is legal. I've hunted over bait in Texas and if I were hunting in a state where it was legal I wouldn't have a problem doing it again. Particularly because the expense of out of state hunts is so high and the amount of time available is so limited.

And thanks to you too. This also makes sense (providing food for the deer before and after hunting season vs. a brief period of time for hunting). As I said, I was just curious, because on its face they seemed to be the same thing, but this explains it very well.

Top Bottom