• ...and so much more!
  • Crusader17

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2017
    Miami County
    Hi

I have a 1986 Honda Magna V65. I have my endorsement and I've taken the class, but this is my first bike and it needs work. Bought at an auction, it ran, but it needs some work so it will stay running. I've checked with the motorcycle dealers in the Peru area and they won't work on it. Old and Honda, are two reasons I guess. Maybe one of you knows someone near Peru who would be able to help me??

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Honestly on a bike like that doing your own work is the best a shop bill would quickly exceed the value of the bike.
    Let me guess it runs fine on the choke as soon as you take it off choke it dies?
    If so your carbs need rebuilt not a huge issue to do yourself and you can send them off for a rebuild or buy some already rebuilt off eBay.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-HONDA...57.m570.l1311.R1.TR2.TRC0.A0.H0.Xv65+car.TRS0

also check for rust in the tank?

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Yep. I have a 2012 Kawasaki so plenty of places around here will work on it, but I’d rather do it all myself. Nothing more satisfying than spending quality time with your baby and getting to know it inside and out. YouTube can help a lot when you need it, most of it seems harder than it is. Get a case of beer and a riding buddy and make a weekend out of giving it a tune up.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Rebuild kits for the carbs on the old Hondas are easy to find on Ebay. My husband has restored quite a few from the 70's, and I order parts for him all the time. The carbs almost always need rebuilt.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The carbs need to be pulled and cleaned. Unless there are some gaskets that will fail when you dismantle them (pulling the bowl usually covers it) You may not need any parts. A good cleaning inside and pulling the jets to clean them is usually all that is needed on one that runs like yours does. A can of spray carb cleaner and some small wire to clean the jets might get you up and rolling.
    New plugs and an oil change. Inspect the plug wires.

If you are at all screwdriver inclined this is not really hard. Some basic tools in metric will be needed as well.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    I would also check the end of the spark plug wires for corrosion.Honda molded the wires to the coils back then.If you can not clean them ,change them.Check the intake boots for cracks.I get a lot of my used prts from Pinwall cycle out of Ohio.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    The carbs need to be pulled and cleaned. Unless there are some gaskets that will fail when you dismantle them (pulling the bowl usually covers it) You may not need any parts. A good cleaning inside and pulling the jets to clean them is usually all that is needed on one that runs like yours does. A can of spray carb cleaner and some small wire to clean the jets might get you up and rolling.
    New plugs and an oil change. Inspect the plug wires.

If you are at all screwdriver inclined this is not really hard. Some basic tools in metric will be needed as well.

Pretty much this.

Once you you start pulling them from the rack, it starts to get a little more daunting ( but it still is t bad if you keep track of the parts for each carb and take photos). You shouldn’t have to go that far to get yours running. Once your jets are good and clean, I suspect it’ll run.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Hi

I have a 1986 Honda Magna V65. I have my endorsement and I've taken the class, but this is my first bike and it needs work. Bought at an auction, it ran, but it needs some work so it will stay running. I've checked with the motorcycle dealers in the Peru area and they won't work on it. Old and Honda, are two reasons I guess. Maybe one of you knows someone near Peru who would be able to help me??

Just a word of warning once once you get it running. I’m not sure of your age, it since you stated it is your first bike I’m going to guess you’re not on social security. Don’t do anything stupid ! The V65 is a very fast bike. You’ll have an urge to get into the throttle way too much !

Lastly, WEAR A HELMET ! Only 2 kinda of riders. Those who are going down and those who have been down ! Do yourself and the people you love - wear one ! (BTW - I fall into the been down category). Even if you do nothing wrong somebody can cause you to have a bad day.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I’m always game to ride! Getting new tires put on next weekend, so any time after that. Front tire is completely smooth, replaced rear last summer but gonna replace it again and save the one off the rim for a replacement if I need.

Crusader17

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2017
    Miami County
    Thanks everybody!! All your advice is welcome and I will heed it! I researched the bike after I won the auction and when I read "fast production bike of the 80s" my response was approximately "****". I knew I could count on y'all to help me! I've got some numbers I can call now.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Good luck, if you are okay with spending more money then it is worth, a dealer service that works on it is great. I had a98 Kawasaki Vulcan and I bought it for 1200. It was worth just about that. Spent 800 on repairs in two years and needed another 800 when I sold it. The local foreign bike dealer worked on it, said they wouldn’t because of age, then said they would.

Top Bottom