Indy / Carmel
    Last edited:

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    That audio was very compelling.
    He must know that - The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem..... then you die. :(

There's a bunch of video out there already.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011

[url]https://heavy.com/news/2018/08/sea-tac-plane-crashes-video-photo-alaska/

[/URL]

On "Heavy" they have all the audio of him flying around (and throwing up) apparently he's had some training on video games. :rolleyes:
    They are also scrambling to clear the air ahead of him and keep traffic on the ground.

3 audio blocks - he shows up at the end of the first one then sporadically on the second one. (that's where I'm at now)

Last edited:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Man who stole airplane brings up the minimum wage and race in conversation with air traffic controller

Alright.

Shoot the ****in' thing down.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Read that as “I have no idea what it takes to start a plane and fly it, but tell me now how you could let him do this!” :rofl:

who left the keys in the visor???

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Read that as “I have no idea what it takes to start a plane and fly it, but tell me now how you could let him do this!” :rofl:

who left the keys in the visor???

For the most part, anything turbine has no key or anything similar. If you can get through the door, you start things spooling

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm not a trained pilot, but I love airplanes...and I play video games.

I don't imagine I'd be able to to figure out how to turn the power on, let alone start the engines on a plane like that. Maybe if it was already running I could figure out how to get in moving...I have a rudimentary understanding of the basic controls of an airplane...but getting it off the ground? Man, I don't know.

That whole thing is crazy to me.

Is it really that easy to start an airplane and get it into the air?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

I don't imagine I'd be able to to figure out how to turn the power on, let alone start the engines on a plane like that. Maybe if it was already running I could figure out how to get in moving...I have a rudimentary understanding of the basic controls of an airplane...but getting it off the ground? Man, I don't know.

If the guy was a plane mechanic I assume he knows how to turn on the engines and stuff.

Also apparently big planes don't need a key to start the engine, and there's no key to lock the doors either.
    I'm surprised more planes don't get stolen more often.

The guy might also have been an amateur pilot and had experience flying small aircrafts.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    From years of flying I can say that getting the airplane down on the ground intact is the hard part. Larger planes are more complicated to get into the air, you have to understand the various speeds and flap positions, but if you have a long enough runway or no load that would make it easier. People wold be surprised how many plane types don't have anything like keys.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I'll give him credit for not taking any one down with him. I haven't had a chance to listen to the tapes yet. So I can say that wasn't a plan. Things could be a lot worst right now.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel

There are three kinds of flight sims (not straight up games)

1. Casual, press button to Start engine, fly with some operational and control realism (Sierra's "Aces" series)
    2. Semi-real, specific start-up sequence, semi-realistic, controls, physics, and mistakes cause crash (IL2 Sturmovik)
    3. Full realism, everything as close as possible to actual flight, may have intentional changes (Falcon4, FSX, X-plane)

Last edited:

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    There are three kinds of flight sims (not straight up games)

1. Casual, press button to Start engine, fly with some operational and control realism (Sierra's "Aces" series)
    2. Semi-real, specific start-up sequence, semi-realistic physics and mistakes cause crash (IL2 Sturmovik)
    3. Full realism, everything as close as possible to actual flight, may have intentional changes (FSX, X-plane)

Wow. Today I learned!

I have definitely played (played?) the first type of flight sim, and have a passing familiarity with the second. I wasn't aware the third even existed.

I guess is makes sense, the technology can support it, and the ability to have reality-level immersion sounds very appealing to me. If I weren't viewing the world through a decade-old mac I'd look into trying some of these out. I don't want to look too deeply, though...a full-blown gaming/sim PC build couls easily be the result.

...and then probably a divorce. But hey, full-realism flight sim!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tatdale2
    Top Bottom