You know those Gotham Steel cooking pans?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    You know those Gotham Steel cooking pans and skillets?

Well, I bought one just to try it out.
    It seems like everything sticks to it and I have yet to duplicate what is shown on TV.
    I'm just glad I didn't* buy the whole set.

Has anyone had any good luck with them?

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    We bought the Copper Chef non-stick set a couple of years ago. The skillet (we use it the most) isn't quite as sticky as when new, but still pretty darned good. I'd buy them again. So much better than the old Teflon stuff, that there is absolutely no comparison IMHO. I think we bought them at the kitchen store at the Edinburgh Outlet Mall, but Sam's Club carries them, too.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    We have this set in blue...

Cuisinart 59-10R Elements 10-Piece Cookware Set, Red https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ELLZF9A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_iuJCBb5V2WJNH

It's been great. As long as you hand wash them, don't use metal utensils, or cook on high heat they will ladt a long time.

I also have stainless and cast iron for searing, boiling, and other high heat cooking that will be harmful to the ceramic coating.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I've been reading up on how to properly clean and then re-season quality cast iron skillets.
    We already have a set of smooth cast iron skillets bUT they have never been properly seasoned with flax seed oil.

It is a lengthy process but the rewards are great. There is a specific chemistry to the process.
    I'll try to post a link to it.

Chemistry of Cast Iron Seasoning: A Science-Based How-ToSheryl's BlogSheryl's Blog

Last edited:

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I've been reading up on how to properly clean and then re-season quality cast iron skillets.
    We already have a set of smooth cast iron skillets bUT they have never been properly seasoned with flax seed oil.

It is a lengthy process but the rewards are great. There is a specific chemistry to the process.
    I'll try to post a link to it.

Chemistry of Cast Iron Seasoning: A Science-Based How-ToSheryl's BlogSheryl's Blog

I and quite a few others have tried the flaxseed oil thing following the directions in that article, seldom with much success. Most of the time a flaky mess is the result of the first use of the pan. I think that the "science" in that article is pretty suspect at best. The Wagner and Griswold society method has worked much better for me.

Wagner and Griswold Society

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    That sounds much easier but it doesn't say anything about proper cleaning techniques prior to seasoning, that seems to be the key to lasting results I would think.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    That sounds much easier but it doesn't say anything about proper cleaning techniques prior to seasoning, that seems to be the key to lasting results I would think.
    I use electrolysis mostly, occasionally lye based oven cleaner if something is really stuck.

WAGS has guides for both, i will see if I can find them.

Edit: Wagner and Griswold Society

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    I think its kind of a scam too IMO. We tried one and its ok for a while... Like others said, hand wash, do not use cooking spray, (we use EVOO). Went back to cast iron and stainless/copper clad. My sons will use it for a quick egg. YMMV x2.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I and quite a few others have tried the flaxseed oil thing following the directions in that article, seldom with much success. Most of the time a flaky mess is the result of the first use of the pan. I think that the "science" in that article is pretty suspect at best. The Wagner and Griswold society method has worked much better for me.

Wagner and Griswold Society

I as well... Flax seed lasted one cooking session and came off in cleaning. After cooking I simply rinse with warm water and scrub with plastic brush until no more grease sheen can bee seen, then rub on a TINY amount of oil and throw it in a warm (~250-300*F) oven for an hour.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I as well... Flax seed lasted one cooking session and came off in cleaning. After cooking I simply rinse with warm water and scrub with plastic brush until no more grease sheen can bee seen, then rub on a TINY amount of oil and throw it in a warm (~250-300*F) oven for an hour.

Everyone over thinks it, I simply use lard and lots and lots of heat cycles.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    There is also a tendency to apply way too much oil which results in a gummy finish that won't stick. When they say wipe it all off, they really mean wipe it all off. There will still be plenty left to season properly.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    OK, I sprayed one of the smaller skillets with oven cleaner even though it looked clean to me to begin with and left it set overnight.
    The next morning I rinsed it off with warm water and a sponge and plastic scrubber. I was amazed at all of the black gunk that came off of it.
    Then I immediately placed it in the oven to heat to 450 degrees then removed it and let it cool down to where I could just handle it and then smeared a really thin coat of Crisco from a can, all over it with a cotton cloth and then wiped it all off until there was none left on it, or appeared so.
    Then I placed it back in the oven at 400 degrees for 30 minutes then shut it off and let it cool in the oven.
    Later when I took it out I saw that it had a nice dark satin sheen to it. So now I'm ready to try it out and see how it does. I believe I'll use Crisco exclusively in the future at least for a while and I'll never wash it, just wipe it out.
    Then we'll see how it works out.
    So anyone have any comments or suggestions?

Last edited:

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    OK, I sprayed one of the smaller skillets with oven cleaner even though it looked clean to me to begin with and left it set overnight.
    The next morning I rinsed it off with warm water and a sponge and plastic scrubber. I was amazed at all of the black gunk that came off of it.
    Then I immediately placed it in the oven to heat to 450 degrees then removed it and let it cool down to where I could just handle it and then smeared a really thin coat of Crisco from a can, all over it with a cotton cloth and then wiped it all off until there was none left on it, or appeared so.
    Then I placed it back in the oven at 400 degrees for 30 minutes then shut it off and let it cool in the oven.
    Later when I took it out I saw that it had a nice dark satin sheen to it. So now I'm ready to try it out and see how it does. I believe I'll use Crisco exclusively in the future at least for a while and I'll never wash it, just wipe it out.
    Then we'll see how it works out.
    So anyone have any comments or suggestions?

Cook fatty things the first few times, don't expect Teflon like non-stick right out of the gate.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Cook fatty things the first few times, don't expect Teflon like non-stick right out of the gate.

Yeah, IMO most of the nonstick properties of seasoning have to do with it absorbing and holding some lipids. Nothing harsher than water and a plastic bristle brush and cook fatty foods semi regularly. Sugary or acidic foods tend to dry out the seasoning so make sure to give it a little oil back after cooking them.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Well I fried some eggs this morning, just a small dab of Crisco and they stuck like glue, so I let it cool and scraped it out with a plastic spatula which wasn't very hard to do and then I wiped it out real good with paper towel until I couldn't get any more off, ready for next time.
    I'll keep at it.

Now I may try flaxseed oil on one of the other pans if this doesn't (PAN) out. Ha, Ha. A little humor there.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You know those Gotham Steel cooking pans and skillets?

Well, I bought one just to try it out.
    It seems like everything sticks to it and I have yet to duplicate what is shown on TV.

SHOCKED.

Nope, I'm sticking with the original no stick a good seasoned cast iron. Cant beat em!

Well... carbon steel has the same properties of cast iron and is lighter, and with rounded sides.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/03/what-makes-carbon-steel-pans-great-cast-iron-cookware.html

alabasterjar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Steuben County
    Well I fried some eggs this morning, just a small dab of Crisco and they stuck like glue, so I let it cool and scraped it out with a plastic spatula which wasn't very hard to do and then I wiped it out real good with paper towel until I couldn't get any more off, ready for next time.
    I'll keep at it.

Now I may try flaxseed oil on one of the other pans if this doesn't (PAN) out. Ha, Ha. A little humor there.

One of the keys to cast iron cooking is to let the iron get hot (smoking oil hot) before you add food to be cooked. It is somewhat counterintuitive, but try it. Heat your skillet, add the oil you are cooking with, then add your food. Let it sizzle for a minute, then turn your heat down & finish cooking as desired.

Wash with hot water (first couple times, you may need to scrub/scrape), dry on the stove top with some heat, wipe down with oil of your choice (I use canola).

Top Bottom