Am I wasting money with Dial One Hour? AC dead.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    In the past couple years, they've replaced some expensive stuff in my system. From "circuit boards" to an entirely new condenser.

House nice and toasty now... nothing working. Digging into the error log on the thermostat shows

71 - Thermal cutout in low stage
    81 - Thermal lockout in low stage
    72 - Thermal cutout in high stage (5 hours later)

If I call them out tomorrow, how bad are they going to ream me? I'm expecting another "oh the circuit board is bad that'll be $700." or something.

Are there better options for AC service?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Carrier Infinity or Evolution?

I'm not 100% sure. "Evolution" sounds familiar, but I can't be for certain.

Do you have any airflow from the vents?

When I made this thread... both the garage part and the outdoor part (blower?) were off... with very slight breeze coming from vents.

When I read your post, I went back down to check... both the garage unit and the outdoor blower are now running. I checked the event log, and the latest "Thermal cutout" status is no longer showing "active" like it was earlier.

But it also has like 6 events, with many events on the other entries... so maybe it's going in-and-out.

Right now it seems to be running, and the temp has gone down by a comfortable one degree.

Could rain cause an issue?

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I'm not 100% sure. "Evolution" sounds familiar, but I can't be for certain.

When I made this thread... both the garage part and the outdoor part (blower?) were off... with very slight breeze coming from vents.

When I read your post, I went back down to check... both the garage unit and the outdoor blower are now running. I checked the event log, and the latest "Thermal cutout" status is no longer showing "active" like it was earlier.

But it also has like 6 events, with many events on the other entries... so maybe it's going in-and-out.

Right now it seems to be running, and the temp has gone down by a comfortable one degree.

Could rain cause an issue?

Rain shouldn’t cause a thermal cutout issue. That is the compressor overheating or the control board doing something funky.

When was the last time the outside unit was cleaned?

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Well I don’t want to be a Debbie Downer but I’ve seen lots of the same issues with the Carrier Evolution series. Mostly involving the thermal cutout codes and the control boards. If it’s cooling again that means the compressor isn’t dead yet. I may be wrong, but I seem to remember a recall or something on those units. Might be worth looking into.

I’m sure DialOne has some good techs, but with their quantity of employees, it’s kind’ve a crapshoot on if you’ll get one of the good ones. Same with most of the big name residential places.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well I don’t want to be a Debbie Downer but I’ve seen lots of the same issues with the Carrier Evolution series. Mostly involving the thermal cutout codes and the control boards. If it’s cooling again that means the compressor isn’t dead yet. I may be wrong, but I seem to remember a recall or something on those units. Might be worth looking into.

I’m sure DialOne has some good techs, but with their quantity of employees, it’s kind’ve a crapshoot on if you’ll get one of the good ones. Same with most of the big name residential places.

^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The high end units are a pain in the butt to diagnose. There are lots of neat parts for a parts changer to play with.
    I do not mess with these. Way to problematic. As with any system like these you never really seem to save any money over the life of the unit. Stupid expensive to buy/install. If you win the Evolution lottery you will have smooth sailing for a few years. Then the stupid starts. It seems you are experiencing the stupid.

You are stuck with the big box company's on your system. The tech/training/Certifications needed to service/install them are hurdles a lot of us just do not care to jump. Wishing you luck here.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Like any company I am sure they have their issues, but I have had good luck with Butler MK. Yeah my brother works there but they have taken good care of me when he has veen out of town.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Just FYI... the Evolution/Infinity lines have a 10 year parts warranty standard. Hate for One Hour to charge you for a part the manufacturer is covering. Not a fan of the DialOne ripoff guys. PM me with contact info and I will get ahold of you.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Just FYI... the Evolution/Infinity lines have a 10 year parts warranty standard. Hate for One Hour to charge you for a part the manufacturer is covering. Not a fan of the DialOne ripoff guys. PM me with contact info and I will get ahold of you.

And Doc saves the day.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    I tried DialOne once and they made me mad to a point that I will never use them or any of the other companies in their group. I have been using Fishers Action Air the last couple of years and have been very happy with them.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I had someone “clean” my unit (hehehhee) by spraying a hose on it. When it died a few months later the next company removed the shroud and I had a thick blanket of dryer lint all over the coils. In my case spraying with a hose was not even close to adequate

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    I had to move on from Dial One, myself, after they kept jacking up their maintenance agreement rates and strung me along until the warranty was done. They kept refilling the coolant for the past few years without bothering to note that the inside coils were leaking while under warranty.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I had someone “clean” my unit (hehehhee) by spraying a hose on it. When it died a few months later the next company removed the shroud and I had a thick blanket of dryer lint all over the coils. In my case spraying with a hose was not even close to adequate

You’re supposed to remove the fan shroud on top of the condenser and spray from the inside out. Thoroughly. Ya know, until it’s clean.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I had to move on from Dial One, myself, after they kept jacking up their maintenance agreement rates and strung me along until the warranty was done. They kept refilling the coolant for the past few years without bothering to note that the inside coils were leaking while under warranty.

Refilling a system with know leaks in illegal. It has to be repaired or replaced....but then again, they can charge a premium for good old R22. They are Jack wagons like most of the large residential companies.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    You’re supposed to remove the fan shroud on top of the condenser and spray from the inside out. Thoroughly. Ya know, until it’s clean.
    Doing it right vs doing something that most don't understand. I tried to clean mine with the shroud in place around the fins, then I took it off and it didn't look like I had done anything.

Top Bottom