• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    My barn has power run to it but yesterday I went to use my miter saw and it was slow to spool up and wasn't coming close to reaching it's normal RPMs. I was using an extensino cord to it but it didn't feel warm to the touch. I can't run the saw directly from the outlet right now to test it but I'm curious if this is an indication that something isn't right or perhaps there is just insufficient power running to the barn?

I'm going to need an electrician to come out and install a 220v circuit for my air compressor in the barn (assuming it can be done). These is a breaker box in the barn but it's pretty old. For whatever reason there is an unused, like new box in my cellar that I'd like to have installed in the barn. I know nothing about these things but I took a pic. Is this just a standard box which could be installed out in the barn?

sxqhivlh.jpg

If we have any INGO electricians who would be interested in doing the work send me a message. I'm not in a huge rush and I'm in NE Hamilton Co.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    How big is the wire to the barn from where it originates. Is it just a lighting circuit as in just big enough to run a few lights.
    Where is the source. How far is it. How big is the wire.

Do not run the saw anymore as it sounds to be way low on power and you will not do it any good.

Pics of the existing panel needed. Also, if you can, take the cover off and post a pic of the incoming wire size. :)

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    The barn draws power from the house via an elevated wire between poles

XCRvNcvh.jpg

CxZCI7gh.jpg

This is the box in the barn with the cover removed

UJeAH13h.jpg

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Looks like you already have 220 in the barn.
    That's two hot 120's and a ground coming from the house.
    What I mean is the feed coming from the house feeds the top two breakers and one wire to the ground/ netural bar.
    How about a picture of the house breaker box feeding the barn and do you own a meter?

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I am not an electrician, but at first glance there to be a few things off in how that box is done. For one, they appear to be feeding it through that hundred amp double pole breaker, but the wires do not appear to be nearly heavy enough (4cu?) for a 100 amp circuit. I see hot and neutral wires appearing to be attached to the same bus bar, which would indicate to me some really funky wiring downstream.

It also appears to me it is wired as a main box, not a sub panel. Depending on how it is fed from the house and whether it has its own ground, that may or may not be correct.

I am sure someone more knowledgeable than myself will be able to give you much more/better information, but I would probably have that box looked at.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've got a meter but it's buried somewhere in all my crap, I just moved and it took me three days to clear out my garage. It's all just stacked up in the barn now.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I've got a meter but it's buried somewhere in all my crap, I just moved and it took me three days to clear out my garage. It's all just stacked up in the barn now.

Ok, so no meter, take your index finger and your thumb with your left hand and make a big letter U , and touch the ground bar with that thumb and put the index finger one the top twenty amp breaker feed screw and tell us if it tingles like 120 volts and then do the same on the breaker below it.. I'll wait and listen for your response.

It's easier to diagnose electrical problems with something to measure voltage / amperage.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I am not an electrician, but at first glance there to be a few things off in how that box is done. For one, they appear to be feeding it through that hundred amp double pole breaker, but the wires do not appear to be nearly heavy enough (4cu?) for a 100 amp circuit. I see hot and neutral wires appearing to be attached to the same bus bar, which would indicate to me some really funky wiring downstream.

It also appears to me it is wired as a main box, not a sub panel. Depending on how it is fed from the house and whether it has its own ground, that may or may not be correct.

I am sure someone more knowledgeable than myself will be able to give you much more/better information, but I would probably have that box looked at.

The neutral wire at least also appears to be aluminum!:scared: No bushing on the pipe feeding into the panel, short waiting to happen but there's no ground bus so "maybe" no spark show.:):

Ok, so no meter, take your index finger and your thumb with your left hand and make a big letter U , and touch the ground bar with that thumb and put the index finger one the top twenty amp breaker feed screw and tell us if it tingles like 120 volts and then do the same on the breaker below it.. I'll wait and listen for your response.

It's easier to diagnose electrical problems with something to measure voltage / amperage.

Just in case the purple is missed. . . .DON'T DO THIS!!

I've actually seen this done on several occasions by journeyman electricians. Surprised they lived to retire.

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    Phylo in the photo of the house under the eave, is the 3rd wire hooked to the bare neutral? Hard to tell from pic

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    The neutral wire at least also appears to be aluminum!:scared: No bushing on the pipe feeding into the panel, short waiting to happen but there's no ground bus so "maybe" no spark show.:):

Just in case the purple is missed. . . .DON'T DO THIS!!

I've actually seen this done on several occasions by journeyman electricians. Surprised they lived to retire.

It looks to me like it is wired like a main feed (neutral and ground tied together) but I am really skeptical that it has its own grounding rod.

Looks,to me like 4 or 6 aluminum where you probably need 1 based on the length of the run.

Is that some sort of 220 circuit exiting the left side? I can't make any sense of that one.

woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    It is not but it looks like it was at one time.
    There is your first problem....

In the box that you posted, as others have said, if it is a subpanel, the neutrals and grounds should be separate.
    You should have a plastic bushing on the conduit where the mains come in.
    It also looks like the breaker is oversized.

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    If you're not running a neutral, then you're relying on the ground. That works in some soils (it's an old farmer's trick) doesn't work in all soils. Just need an electrician to make sure and hook things back up properly.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    That's definitely the plan, that's why I was asking if we had any electricians who would be interested.

It looks like there are some issues with where the netural ( white wires ) and where they and the grounds are bonded on your sub panel. Who knows about the house service panel and the bonds / grounds there.
    And can happen is that you can loose a netural wire and it will feed 120 volts back and make your sub panel box hot among other things. So if you touch metal you easliy could be doing the 60 hz shuffle.. among other issues.

Was a home inspection done?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    We had a home inspection but it didn't cover the barn. All of the electrical work in the house is brand new and appears to have been very professionally done but they didn't touch the barn. I suspect the barn needs to be completely rewired.

Shortys

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2014
    Mooresville
    You might take the saw to the house and see if it works. You could also have an issue with some type of brake sticking that stops the saw quickly after turning it off.

Top Bottom