• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Have any of you guys gotten your wife a new wedding ring for an anniversary or birthday or anything? I'd like to do it for our 15th anniversary this spring but not sure whether to ask her to pick it out or just go do it myself. If I do it myself, do I just get a single ring or does it need to be double signifying the engagement ring AND the wedding ring? Problem with asking her is she'll say no even though she deserves it and we can afford it. Other problem is I'm not sure of her ring size. I can probably offer to take it in to get "Cleaned" somewhere on a day I'm off and get it sized though.

Just looking for some advice from those who have done this before. Ladies I'd appreciate your input as well as to how you'd want it to happen.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Have any of you guys gotten your wife a new wedding ring for an anniversary or birthday or anything? I'd like to do it for our 15th anniversary this spring but not sure whether to ask her to pick it out or just go do it myself. If I do it myself, do I just get a single ring or does it need to be double signifying the engagement ring AND the wedding ring? Problem with asking her is she'll say no even though she deserves it and we can afford it. Other problem is I'm not sure of her ring size. I can probably offer to take it in to get "Cleaned" somewhere on a day I'm off and get it sized though.

Just looking for some advice from those who have done this before. Ladies I'd appreciate your input as well as to how you'd want it to happen.

IMHO and your wife may be different...

Every time that I bought her jewelry or clothes she goes "Ohhhh I love IT...It's perfect...Do you have the receipt?"

"Yes ma'am...."

"Okay...I'm going to tweak it a little but Geary Boy you were SOOOOO close this time...I'll be back in a bit...Love you..."

And she'll come back with something better and less money because I don't know how to shop for deals...She does...After about five years of that I would just give her the cash and she would come back with a way better deal than I ever could....

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Take one of her other rings and size it. I guess we are supposed to buy them anniversary bands and add ons for their wedding rings. Just a band with diamonds I think. Cant really mess that up.
    But I let my wife pick out most of her jewelry. Theres a fee pieces I've picked out that she loves though.
    I'd just tell her you already paid for it so she has to pick it out.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Can't you just measure her finger while she's asleep or is that too creepy? :dunno:

I never heard of guys getting a new wedding ring.
    Her original wedding ring already represents the 15 years you have been together and I'm not sure if she would like another ring to replace this one.
    Maybe just an anniversary ring (if there is such a thing) that she could wear in addition to her wedding ring without it being a replacement for it.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Just buy her a nice diamond to give her on your anniversary. Then the two of you can go together and choose a custom setting.

For our 10th anniversary I got my wife a nice diamond set in a necklace as she had been hinting for ten years she wanted a diamond necklace. For her 20th anniversary I will get her another diamond and redesign the necklace to hold two diamonds. Still have a couple of years and every payday throw a $20 or $50 into an envelope clearly marked "20th Anniversary" just in case she finds the hidden envelope full of money I have been hiding from her.

My dad got an upgraded ring for my mom and had the small diamonds in her original ring set into a custom broach pin. My mom has passed. My son used his grandmother's original band and had a new diamond set in it for his marriage recently.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I can’t even lift up the sheets to check her out without waking her up. She is a very light sleeper. Doesn’t really wear other rings. Maybe i’ll Go with a large pocket watch on a necklace

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Maybe i’ll Go with a large pocket watch on a necklace

Now that's a good plan. I'm sure you'll get lucky then.

flavor-flav-jail-child-support_ftpwit.jpg

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I bought her a complete set when I bought her a new ring. I knew my wife wouldn't just replace one with a new one. My situation was a little different though - I wanted her to have a more durable set that she could wear to work.

As far as sizing, I waited until she took them off (which she does whenever she showers) and slid them on my pinky finger as far as I could. Then I went to the jeweler and got as close as I could.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Just buy her a nice diamond to give her on your anniversary. Then the two of you can go together and choose a custom setting.

For our 10th anniversary I got my wife a nice diamond set in a necklace as she had been hinting for ten years she wanted a diamond necklace. For her 20th anniversary I will get her another diamond and redesign the necklace to hold two diamonds. Still have a couple of years and every payday throw a $20 or $50 into an envelope clearly marked "20th Anniversary" just in case she finds the hidden envelope full of money I have been hiding from her.

My dad got an upgraded ring for my mom and had the small diamonds in her original ring set into a custom broach pin. My mom has passed. My son used his grandmother's original band and had a new diamond set in it for his marriage recently.
    Hmmmm I like that envelope idea for my gun fund :):

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Can't you just measure her finger while she's asleep or is that too creepy? :dunno:

I never heard of guys getting a new wedding ring.
    Her original wedding ring already represents the 15 years you have been together and I'm not sure if she would like another ring to replace this one.
    Maybe just an anniversary ring (if there is such a thing) that she could wear in addition to her wedding ring without it being a replacement for it.
    Women upgrade their wedding rings all the time. But I think hes thinking more of an anniversary band to add to the wedding set if I'm reading it correctly?
    My wife has been talking about changing out a couple diamonds for sapphires or something. I'm like why dont you just have a whole new ring made and upgrade then? I probably shouldn't have put that idea into her head because I know its gonna cost me but whatever makes her happy. I cant really say anythjng because I like e penssive stuff too just not diamonds. She doesnt have any cheap jewelry.
    DOC, I'd just put your foot down and tell her its important to you and basicly what you said here. She sounds like a good wife.
    Another option, is her ring white gold? They need re-plated. You could offer to have it replated and while it's out have a band made for it. Or have it cleaned or appraised and the same thing

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    When we got engaged, I bought a pretty, but no too big ring for my wife. I was still in college, marginally employed, debt free and anxious to stay that way. I figured I'd get her a bigger ring eventually. Finally, at 25 years this past year, I was just about ready to do it....until she said that her present ring was the only engagement/wedding ring she ever wanted. We went to New York instead.

Ddillard

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 29, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    I had the same dilemma but my youngest told me to just tell mom she wanted handcast molds for her room decor. So we had some made and now I just use that to judge her ring size. Who knew that my young daughter could be so sneaky. Luckily she is daddy's girl. Although, I do like the idea of telling her to pick it out as you have already paid for it. Luckily my little lady just loves jewelry and I haven't been too far off from her likes. Jewelry for guns is a great perk as well. Good luck.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I got my wife a wrap for our 10th anniversary. Your wife is probably not going to want to give up her original wedding set/rings/whatever. Go to a jeweler and ask them about wraps. If memory serves, the wrap is welded to the engagement ring (maybe I’m not using the correct terminology, but, the wrap is attached to the ring). I don’t remember any details of karat weight or any of that, but the ladies at the jeweler I went to said my wife would love it, and she actually did! It’s one of the few times in 14 years that I scored a bunch of points!:):

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Anniversary band. Worn on right hand.
    Or, if she’s active, a silicone band to replace her current set up.
    If you’ve ever needed to use a ring cutter, you’ll know why they are a good idea.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    When we got engaged, I bought a pretty, but no too big ring for my wife. I was still in college, marginally employed, debt free and anxious to stay that way. I figured I'd get her a bigger ring eventually. Finally, at 25 years this past year, I was just about ready to do it....until she said that her present ring was the only engagement/wedding ring she ever wanted. We went to New York instead.

I agree with NYC, dump the kids off and take her to NYC for a weekend, see a show or two and roll through the diamond district and let her pick what she wants.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    questions

are you replacing the current

are you just wanting to add to the one she currently has

I love the element of surprise, but you may just want to go with the "It's already paid for, now let's pick it out"

I hate having to have rings sized, depending on the metal, that point in the ring could split where sized, requiring more work on the ring. So you really want to get that right from the start.
    After 15 years of marriage, I would love to think you know what your wife would like on her hand, but we women can be very finicky.

I also like the idea of buying the diamond, her designing the ring around that. you get the element of surprise, she gets the perfect design.

congratulations on 15 years Doc.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I haven't been able to convince myself to buy a new ring. She got a Jeep for 20 years, though, so I think I did OK.

My wife isn't much of a jewelry gal. I've gotten her a few things over the years, and other than her wedding ring and earrings, she doesn't wear much. I think for 25, I'll do a right-hand ring of some sort. When we were younger, she rotated thru several cheapy rings on that hand. I figure it would let me (well, her) be creative with the stones and metals, since it doesn't need to look like a wedding set at all.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Frankly I don’t know what I want. My original plan was to replace the ring and offer the stones to our daughter for her wedding. Now i’m Not sure. We do have a niece my wife is really close with in a surrogate daughter sort of way. My wife had a grandmother who was very close to her and she has a lot of her old jewelry and reused some of the stones into a necklace.

i like the idea of the extra band around the existing ring. The other issue is our anniversary day is also our daughter’s birthday. What used to be a great celebration day is now dreaded and sad. She’s always wanted a vow renewal and wanted our first marriage to happen on a beach somewhere with few guests. I may try to do a trip and do that and then we can celebrate to new day. So many decisions, such little confidence :D

Top Bottom