• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Is it still more difficult than traveling to Canada with weapons? Can I have an unloaded firearm in a locked container?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Is it still more difficult than traveling to Canada with weapons? Can I have an unloaded firearm in a locked container?

If you have a LTCH you can travel with your loaded handgun(s). You can't get out of the car with them though. If you get out it has to stay inside the car, out of sight and the car must be locked. I believe that is how it works. If you unload it, you can take it out of the car to lock it in the trunk.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    If you have a LTCH you can travel with your loaded handgun(s). You can't get out of the car with them though. If you get out it has to stay inside the car, out of sight and the car must be locked. I believe that is how it works. If you unload it, you can take it out of the car to lock it in the trunk.

Wrong. It must be unloaded and in a carry case. They do not recognize any other states carry laws.

http://www.illinoisconcealcarryllc....rm-Legally-Illinois-State-Police Brochure.pdf

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

This. :yesway:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Wrong. It must be unloaded and in a carry case. They do not recognize any other states carry laws.

http://www.illinoisconcealcarryllc....rm-Legally-Illinois-State-Police Brochure.pdf

As Chezuki pointed out that is the old law. Here is the new.

ETA If stopped by the police and asked ​ you must inform.
    (430 ILCS 66/40)
    Sec. 40. Non-resident license applications.
    (e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
    (1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a
    firearm under federal law;
    (2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under
    the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable; and
    (3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.
    If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.
    430Â*ILCSÂ*66/Â*Â*Firearm Concealed Carry Act.

quangtran1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 18, 2017
    Indiana
    My bad, sorry.
    Well, don't apologize, you weren't the only one thinking of the old statutes. About every gun shop in Illinois I asked still don't know. I travel to Chicago a few times a month and I obey the new laws. I interpret "locked container" as my glove box or center console. Before I exit the vehicle, I have to dismount.

CCCCCCC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2018
    T
    Just because it is legal, doesn’t mean Chicago LE knows it is the law. It could still get complicated if you were pulled over. Me personally, I avoid Illinois like the plague.

Last edited:

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Just because it is legal, doesn’t mean Chicago LE knows it is the law. It could still get complicated if you were pulled over. Me personally, I avoid Illinois like the plague.

Avoid it all you want, but do you have any evidence of Illinois arresting or harassing Indiana residents for carrying legally in their car?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I haven't heard of anyone having issues with a gun in their vehicle while in Chicago. I go there on average three times a week with my loaded handgun. It stays locked in my car out of sight while I am there.

I know people hate Chicago on here, but it isn't totally as bad as people make it out to be.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I haven't heard of anyone having issues with a gun in their vehicle while in Chicago. I go there on average three times a week with my loaded handgun. It stays locked in my car out of sight while I am there.

I know people hate Chicago on here, but it isn't totally as bad as people make it out to be.

I'm sure I would like Chicago if it weren't for the people and buildings. :)

Top Bottom