Roofers of INGO: solar powered attic ventilation?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Looking at having some powered attic ventilation added at the house. Have one attic space (out of 3) that's perfect for a gable-mounted fan. But I think it'd be difficult to run power to it.

Opinions on solar powered fans?

And what options would I have for the other 2 sections of the house that don't have gables? We DO have a ridge vent. We DO have soffit vents - but I honestly don't think there's enough air movement.

LeverGunFan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Bartholomew County
    I have a standard electric attic fan, on very hot days it will run for a few hours after sunset until the attic temp drops below the thermostat set point. With a solar powered fan, it would shut off at sunset and not provide those extra hours of cooling air flow. However, a solar powered fan is much better than nothing at all.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I have a standard electric attic fan, on very hot days it will run for a few hours after sunset until the attic temp drops below the thermostat set point. With a solar powered fan, it would shut off at sunset and not provide those extra hours of cooling air flow. However, a solar powered fan is much better than nothing at all.

I guess I kind of figured there'd be some kind of battery involved for scenarios like this - but I'm definitely ignorant of the whole deal. I'm sure actual standard electric fans are probably mucho better anyhow.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    A) Does it move enough air?
    B) Will it run even when not sunny, but still hot/humid (this IS Indiana)?

Our fan runs when it is humid as well (humidistat and thermostat), so often runs in the evenings or early morning hours. Even runs on cloudy winter days, when condensation starts in the attic.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    If you have Ridge Vent the Fan will pull air from there (closest source). The combo of Soffit Vents and Ridge Vent move Air under the Roof Sheating, bottom to top (hot air rises)

Understood.

Guess with my particular combination of things right now that a powered fan of any kind would just be spinning its wheels vs. doing any actual good. At least in the attic spaces above the living spaces. I need to examine the soffits above the large garage portion / room addition to determine if something more may be needed.

Top Bottom