Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Not to take anything away from what she did, but I'd have to disagree that it's not likely to land safely. My ex-wife took piloting lessons, did solo flights, etc back when you could get enough flight time in to get your basic licenses for about $3k. A little prop plane lands at something like 70-80mph, basically highway speeds for a car. Students learn in them for a reason.
    I agree
    It's now around $5 to 7k though sadly.
    CASH 4 GUITARS & AMPS. Fender & Gibson. PM me.
    NRA Patron Life Member

User Info Menu

...because the economy had jobs a 17 year old could work and support a family and you were unlikely to live long enough to be pensioned off. That's no longer the case in most instances. Entering the work force at 17 now, with few exceptions, guarantees a life of low wage earning in today's significantly more specialized work force.
    No you are right. The whole system has changed to keep kids from growing up sooner
    CASH 4 GUITARS & AMPS. Fender & Gibson. PM me.
    NRA Patron Life Member

User Info Menu

Not to take anything away from what she did, but I'd have to disagree that it's not likely to land safely. My ex-wife took piloting lessons, did solo flights, etc back when you could get enough flight time in to get your basic licenses for about $3k. A little prop plane lands at something like 70-80mph, basically highway speeds for a car. Students learn in them for a reason.
    As an aircraft mechanic with my A&P and IA, I have to disagree. Aircraft are not equipped with the safety features that help prevent injuries in a sudden hard stop situation. I've worked multiple ground loops by experienced pilots and most of them are laid up for a week or more with random injuries. Lots of back injuries and worse are the head injuries. I worked a salvage job on a fatal ercoupe crash. He had an engine seize (his "mechanic" told him his type of engine could fly without an oil cap...wrong it siphoned out locked up and he went down.) This guy landed in clear cut at slow speeds (35 to 40). He hopped out, called 911, waved the chopper in and died on the way to the hospital due to a traumatic brain injury. The control wheel had his head imprinted, it's amazing he was conscious as long as he was. A crash in a car at 35 to 45 mph is not likely to kill, in an airplane with restraints designed in the 50's and 60's are the norm your margin of error is much smaller. The ground loops I've worked and was on scene for, the pilots were disoriented, probably concussed, and most bleeding from multiple places on their face from hitting the controls. A student pilot on their first solo walking away from a crash with no injuries is outstanding, and so rare that they would be able to maintain their composure throughout the incident. Flying is not easier nor is it safer because your in a prop plane with a reciprocating engine.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cameramonkey View Post
    OUTSTANDING!

As a dad, (and former pilot) her voice just grinds at my heart. She was freaked out as hell, but fell back on her training. I hope she kept at it and finished. That's one of those either you are done or you are emboldened... I hope it was the latter.
    Turns out her dad is a pilot too and she wants to go to Colorado Springs. She will return.
    Justin B. - "Make them watch Wonder Woman. They'll molon labe after that!"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger Time View Post
    I agree
    It's now around $5 to 7k though sadly.

Back when I looked into it it was $1500 and instrument was included. (That's what happens when you live on an island)
    Yes I am for gun control!! A firm grip, steady aim, and a gentle squeeze!!

What comes after your first "infraction"? Double Secret Probation perhaps???

User Info Menu

My question is why did the wheel fall off?

With all of the rules and regulations and sign offs by an A&P mechanic and all of the safe guards, how is this even possible?

I'll tell you how, it's all a sham.
    I could spend the rest of the day telling you of the corruption and outright lies I have experienced from some of the A&P's I have delt with.

I have been a mechanical engineer, mechanic, technician and what ever else you want to call it.
    I was even working on my A&P license at a well respected university but got fed up with all of crap I experienced.

I even owned several SEL aircraft. I finally threw up my hands and got out of flying all together.
    If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. (Rom12:18)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by femurphy77 View Post
    That's what the training's for; when things DON'T go right. She handled it like a trooper!!
    That's what Training's for.
    Just my little experience with this. When I first started dating my wife, I asked her if she wanted to go night flying ( this was our second time up in the 150). SURE!

So at 5I4, the runway lights were a bit cantankerous. It took me a couple tries to get the ptt sequence right to get them turned on. It was only after our flight, and the plane was put away, that she asked: what would you have done if the runway lights didn't turn on when we came back to land?

This is what training is for. I had enough fuel to fly to UMP (Indianapolis Metro) and land, then have someone pick me up and go about my day (or night).

Like was said before: outstanding!
    Last edited by MRockwell; 09-14-2018 at 13:06.

Marksman

User Info Menu

"Young Maggie's highly unusual first solo flight.", where in the video was it indicated this was Maggie's "first" solo flight?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flightsimmer View Post
    My question is why did the wheel fall off?

With all of the rules and regulations and sign offs by an A&P mechanic and all of the safe guards, how is this even possible?

I'll tell you how, it's all a sham.
    I could spend the rest of the day telling you of the corruption and outright lies I have experienced from some of the A&P's I have delt with.

I have been a mechanical engineer, mechanic, technician and what ever else you want to call it.
    I was even working on my A&P license at a well respected university but got fed up with all of crap I experienced.

I even owned several SEL aircraft. I finally threw up my hands and got out of flying all together.
    Please, do tell. And also wheels and tires can be done by owner/operators. Please tell me about how A&P's are a sham.. Please go on. Oh, wait now let me start telling you about pilots... Let me tell you about ercoupes with non stc seat modifications that could lead to a pilot ejecting in turbulence, let me tell you about pilots training students in a 172 where the spark plug loosens up after every flight, (cracked cylinder right through the plug seat), let me tell you all of the mx I've done with flight time promises only to be shut down after the work was done, let me tell you about the pilots trying to bribe mechanics for annual inspection sign offs, let me tell you about prebuy inspections that I found props bent and repaired by pilots, let me go on... please tell me about those scum bag a&p's.
    Last edited by Ggreen; 09-12-2018 at 21:10.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ggreen View Post
    Please, do tell. And also wheels and tires can be done by owner/operators. Please tell me about how A&P's are a sham.. Please go on. Oh, wait now let me start telling you about pilots... Let me tell you about ercoupes with non stc seat modifications that could lead to a pilot ejecting in turbulence, let me tell you about pilots training students in a 172 where the spark plug loosens up after every flight, (cracked cylinder right through the plug seat), let me tell you all of the mx I've done with promises, let me tell you about the pilots trying to bribe mechanics for annual inspection sign offs, let me tell you about prebuy inspections that I found props bent and repaired by pilots, let me go on... please tell me about those scum bag a&p's.
    You just made my point, thank you for taking the time.
    If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. (Rom12:18)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast