Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

User Info Menu

Cool Young Maggie's highly unusual first solo flight.

Fella's and ladies if this don't put a lump in your throat and moisture in your eyes you're probably already dead.
    This poor gal is very obviously scared half to death but she keeps it together. Permission to cheer IS granted.

Justin B. - "Make them watch Wonder Woman. They'll molon labe after that!"

User Info Menu

OUTSTANDING!

As a dad, (and former pilot) her voice just grinds at my heart. She was freaked out as hell, but fell back on her training. I hope she kept at it and finished. That's one of those either you are done or you are emboldened... I hope it was the latter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    A confused cop is an arresty cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post
    also, where do we sign up to touch Frank's equipment?

User Info Menu

Any landing that you can walk away from is a good landing, and having only one of two main wheel assemblies doing it's best to ruin your day makes it an even better landing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cameramonkey View Post
    OUTSTANDING!

As a dad, (and former pilot) her voice just grinds at my heart. She was freaked out as hell, but fell back on her training. I hope she kept at it and finished. That's one of those either you are done or you are emboldened... I hope it was the latter.
    This only happened Sunday. So the jury is out.
    Justin B. - "Make them watch Wonder Woman. They'll molon labe after that!"

User Info Menu

That's what the training's for; when things DON'T go right. She handled it like a trooper!!
    Yes I am for gun control!! A firm grip, steady aim, and a gentle squeeze!!

What comes after your first "infraction"? Double Secret Probation perhaps???

Freelance Gynecologist Trigger Time's Avatar

User Info Menu

I think we often sell our youth short and underestimate what they are capable of. 17 year olds were maried and had several babies by that age in the not so distant past, and actualy I think people can still get married at 15 or 16 with parental consent. Anyways we try to keep our kids babies for as long as possible and I think put them at a disadvantage in this modern dog eat dog world where a couple years head start could mean everything. By the age of 17 if theyve been raised right, most 17 year olds are just in a holding pattern (no pun intrnded) and chomping at the bit to get out into the real world in a year. We force them to wait because of some BS last year of school that they learn nothing new in.

All that aside, if she couldnt do this then she has no business being in an airplane flying about the population below which she could cause mass death and destruction on if she wasnt responsible and skilled. This is common sense stuff and age shouldn't play any factor in it and certainly not sex. I think if this would have been a 17yr old boy you never would have heard about it.
    She did good, she did what she needed to do and she didnt kill anyone on the ground and she was able to live also. Mission accomplished. This is exactly the way I would say it if it were my own daughter who WILL also be learning to fly in a couple of years. Unofficially sooner than that.
    Cowards die many times before their deaths, The valiant never taste of death but once.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger Time View Post
    I think we often sell our youth short and underestimate what they are capable of. 17 year olds were maried and had several babies by that age in the not so distant past....
    ...because the economy had jobs a 17 year old could work and support a family and you were unlikely to live long enough to be pensioned off. That's no longer the case in most instances. Entering the work force at 17 now, with few exceptions, guarantees a life of low wage earning in today's significantly more specialized work force.
    L'otters are not afraid.

Expert

User Info Menu

Let's keep it on topic here: this young gal did a GREAT job with a really horrible situation. I don't know the statistics, but in the event of a crash-ish landing, coming out without a scratch is not really very likely.

I hope she gets back in the plane soon. Kid's got talent, heart, and after this, should be hard as nails.

-Nate
    President's Hundred
    A2 Service Rifle High Master XC
    Distinguished Rifleman
    1,000 yd A2 Service Rifle Expert
    Incessant Tinkerer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by natdscott View Post
    Let's keep it on topic here: this young gal did a GREAT job with a really horrible situation. I don't know the statistics, but in the event of a crash-ish landing, coming out without a scratch is not really very likely.
    Not to take anything away from what she did, but I'd have to disagree that it's not likely to land safely. My ex-wife took piloting lessons, did solo flights, etc back when you could get enough flight time in to get your basic licenses for about $3k. A little prop plane lands at something like 70-80mph, basically highway speeds for a car. Students learn in them for a reason.
    L'otters are not afraid.

User Info Menu

https://www.livescience.com/49701-pr...es-safety.html

An attempt to "normalize" fatality rates between private cars and private aircraft. Summary: it is 19x more dangerous to fly your own airplane than drive your own car.
    Ryan "ElDirector"

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast