• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    So I've been in the new house for a month and I mowed again the day before yesterday. I was out in the barn last night and noticed a piece of wire sticking out from my mower and upon closer inspection realized it was hanging out of the tire just on the side of the tread where it transitions to side wall. With fingers crossed I slowly pulled the wire out and heard the hiss I was hoping not to hear. I pushed the wire back in so I'd know where the hole was and went on about my chores.

Now I need to figure out how to fix it. I don't know if a plug will work with it being as close to the sidewall as it is. Are there other viable options? I know the fix a flat and slime products aren't popular in car and truck tires but we put slime in the tires of our UTV a few years back and haven't noticed any issues. Since this is a mower and won't create and life safety issues if a tire blows out and I ok to use this stuff or are there better options?

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    I'd plug it. Sidewall plugs aren't life or death on a tractor.

Fix a flat and slime are a pain in the ass to deal with years later when you want to replace the tires.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The reason sidewall repairs are a no-no in a car/truck/fill in your road vehicle, is that in normal driving there is a tremendous amount of sidewall flex which will destroy the repair. If you get any sidewall flex out of a mower tire you should stop dreaming you are Mario Andretti. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Silly me here.... But it's a tubeless tire right?
    Going on the assumption it's a tubeless I say to pull the tire off the wheel, patch the tire on the inside, reinstall tire, and stick your old lady's butt on the mower while you browse Ingo.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Silly me here.... But it's a tubeless tire right?
    Going on the assumption it's a tubeless I say to pull the tire off the wheel, patch the tire on the inside, reinstall tire, and stick your old lady's butt on the mower while you browse Ingo.

Patch is a 1 and done. No worries no brainer.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I ran in to what was left of a old tomato cage and ran the wire right threw the side of my 2 week old tractor. I removed the tire and took it to the gas station I use a lot. I asked if he would plug it. he said know man. That's dangerous to do. If that blows out you could get kill. I said I promise i won't go over 5 miles an hour. then he realizes it's a off my tractor. That was probably 5 years ago. I still have the plug sticking out the side. Still holding air.

Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    I usually run Slime in front tractor/mower tires, and inall UTV, spreaders, implement tires. Rears I patch or boot. Never cared for plugs, I have them for emergencies, but hardly ever use them. I'm running about 140 tires around here, I do my own off road tires, (Automotive tires I hire out). Have a set of 18.4x34's to dismount/remount next weekend. I might suggest you hook up with a older farmer around you, most are more than willing to teach/help. Hope you're liking your new place. Any questions just ask.

PS
    Did you get your propane taken care of?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom